Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am new to the M3, so bear with me....
But I've not used it much yet (about 150miles on the clock)
In this scenario the car has been parked unused for several days (covid etc nowhere to go blah blah)

Twice now I get in it to go somewhere and the screen is black, like it's off. (so I fiddle thinking something is wrong, anyway, fiddling doesn't do much so, I decide to just go)
I shift to D and drive off, left wondering what's happening (when will the screen come on...)
I drive for about what seems a little while (maybe 1 minute, maybe more, not sure really)
Then the tesla symbol in white appears on the centre of the screen, like it's booting up.
After about 10sec all seems on and normal.

Does this happen to others?

No, that's not normal. The screen should come on when you unlock the car. The logo shows that it's rebooting.

I would suggest removing anything from the USB ports and doing a full restart (hold brake and press both of the buttons on the wheel). Other than that I would recommend raising a service booking and see what Tesla think.

It could be something that just fixes itself as well, people have seen similar weird happenings.

Am new to the M3, so bear with me....
But I've not used it much yet (about 150miles on the clock)
In this scenario the car has been parked unused for several days (covid etc nowhere to go blah blah)

Twice now I get in it to go somewhere and the screen is black, like it's off. (so I fiddle thinking something is wrong, anyway, fiddling doesn't do much so, I decide to just go)
I shift to D and drive off, left wondering what's happening (when will the screen come on...)
I drive for about what seems a little while (maybe 1 minute, maybe more, not sure really)
Then the tesla symbol in white appears on the centre of the screen, like it's booting up.
After about 10sec all seems on and normal.

Does this happen to others?

It's a reboot of the screen computer. These do take just long enough to occur that your "oh no, it's not coming back" dread kicks in, and then it does come back on. Mostly these are caused by a software bug, and so are fixed in a software update (you didn't say what version you were running). If you start seeing a lot of these, it might indicate a hardware fault, and you should contact service. However, it's far more likely to be software and go away in the next update.

Thanks guys.
I have standard usb tesla stick in the glove box port. (came with car, never touched)
I also have a usb-c cable to usb-A socket with a stick in it, in the centre console with my MP3s on. Maybe this has upset it...?
But will monitor it and see what happens, might remove this for a few days and see what that does.
I did think it seemed like a crash followed by an auto reboot.
But when your not sure what's normal... your left wondering.
Will experiment, thanks again.

Ours did this the minute we picked it up a week ago and went to set off... Its done it once since in 200miles.

Keeping an eye on it for the moment.

Mine did it while I was getting the mirrors and things set up, the people from Tesla told me it happens when they link the car to your account so you can use the mobile app - they apologised for not warning me - could be what happened to you.

Mine did it while I was getting the mirrors and things set up, the people from Tesla told me it happens when they link the car to your account so you can use the mobile app - they apologised for not warning me - could be what happened to you.
That's interesting, the last time it happened, I had just add my wife's new phone and account to my account on the tesla's web login and then onto the car itself.
So maybe a reboot was needed to make that all work through, will see if it settles down...

Ours did this the minute we picked it up a week ago and went to set off... Its done it once since in 200miles.

Keeping an eye on it for the moment.

That’s the car transferring ownership from Tesla to you (or something similar) - they all do it especially with the post Covid collection method where we tend to be getting in the car a lot sooner than we may have done under normal circumstances so the car is still rebooting - it did have me wondering why it wouldn’t start - I was about to go back in and ask when it sprung to life... wish they’d tell you that it might take a few minutes to restart after you accept the car saving you sitting there wondering why it won’t start!

Mine has since “not woken up” for lack of a better description twice in 4 months of ownership... I have pin to drive enabled so couldn’t just engage drive... Pressing the break and buttons on wheel brought it to life in both occasions though.

In both cases there was nothing unusual before it happened although both were first time driving it that day, no error messages and everything worked. Seems to be just one of these things and so far nothing other than a minor inconvenience :)

If it was doing it every day or week I’d be concerned but once in a while I reckon isn’t anything to worry about.