Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue 650 - Are only options for rear camera drilling hole or showing cable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, from reading the dash cam blogs, the older Blackvue models had problems with overheating. No issues with my 550 (almost 2 years old) or with my wife's new 650 (short term experience but some days where internal car temp is over 120° F.

Reactions: Akikiki
Slightly off-topic..

My BV 650 front cam became loose and fell off the front windshield. I live in So Cal, where interior temperatures can reach over 100 degrees when parked in the sun during the day. Anybody have a similar issue? Anybody use any different form of adhesive that what comes with the unit?

Slightly off-topic..

My BV 650 front cam became loose and fell off the front windshield. I live in So Cal, where interior temperatures can reach over 100 degrees when parked in the sun during the day. Anybody have a similar issue? Anybody use any different form of adhesive that what comes with the unit?

As I noted above, interior temps reach 120° F routinely. The OEM red 3M mounting pads have been very solid. There should be a spare in the original accessory box (extra for front and rear mounts). You need to be sure the glass is spotless. I prep with isopropyl alcohol after cleaning with window cleaner. Make sure it is bone dry and also use some alcohol on your hands to clean them (remove some oil). Peel the backing, mount the bracket, press firmly. Get out of the car and look through the windshield at the mounting area. See any gaps/air bubbles? Get back inside and press harder and wiggle a bit to be sure the mount is well seated. Note that if you need to redo the mounting, you will need to scrupulously clean the old adhesive from the Blackvue mounting bracket.

Just installed mine and went through the bottom of trunk hatch to avoid drilling or apparent cable. Also plugged into the 12v from the connector in the front grill and installed a home made connector so I can easily unplug the blackvue.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Slightly off-topic..

Same for me, my cameras detached as well. I think it's due to not seating it properly on the front by actively making sure to get out the air bubbles. On my back, I think the stress from the Tesla shade helped pull that loose.

im going to realign and use the included second set of adhesive. If that fails, I'm using the 3M Velcro I use for my FastPass mounting.

Same for me, my cameras detached as well. I think it's due to not seating it properly on the front by actively making sure to get out the air bubbles. On my back, I think the stress from the Tesla shade helped pull that loose.

im going to realign and use the included second set of adhesive. If that fails, I'm using the 3M Velcro I use for my FastPass mounting.

Anybody know anyone that sells just extra adhesive pads? I've seen the mounts on sale for $19.99, but not the adhesive pads.

Yes, I do also have this piece connected to the the 3pin connector, I assume it is the tilt sensor for the alarm ... but not sure.

Did the same installation as kaneda on all cars, was keeping the fuse of the original Blackvue cable, but no extra connector. Routing on the head/passenger side and through bottom of the hatch, no visible cable no drilling ... looks great. Also installed the polarizing filters of this group buy, does really help reducing indoor reflection.

Thanks to all for providing those ideas/solutions!

I can't tell you who or where, but I did see these for sale when I was searching for polarizing filters. I was surprised at how inexpensive they were. It may have been Ebay.

Good luck.

Thanks Andyw2100. I found them on eBay, $.99 for 3. However, they're not OEM (different size and cut), but seller states they work for 650, which I believe they will. My concern is aesthetics and longevity. Don't want it falling off again, so I may just order the replacement bracket for $20.

Thanks Andyw2100. I found them on eBay, $.99 for 3. However, they're not OEM (different size and cut), but seller states they work for 650, which I believe they will. My concern is aesthetics and longevity. Don't want it falling off again, so I may just order the replacement bracket for $20.

I'm pretty sure I did see OEM replacements somewhere. I'll see if I can find them again now.

Edit: OK, I did find the OEM version:

Blackvue Accessories : Blackvue sticky pad pack for front camera DR650GW, DR600GW, DR550GW and DR500GW

I'm pretty sure I had seen these selling for less somewhere else.

Last edited:
Somehow I missed this thread. I installed Blackvues on 2 of our MS'es, and used the same method on 2015 and on 2017 to route on the back hatch - use the middle clip hole as shown below (needed to round off the BV connector a little to fit, but only shaving off a little plastic):
TeslaRearBVCable1.png

Then put some tape with a message, in case anyone else (Tesla SC) works on the car and was thinking of replacing the clip.
TeslaRearBVCable2.png

The plastic bracket holds up just fine with only 2 clips, never had a problem with it on either car (the new one has only been a few weeks, but the old one I drove coast to coast with).

Hope this helps someone, as it applies to older and recent cars.

Last edited:
Reactions: sorka and Akikiki
Slightly off-topic..

Yes, same problem. And a friend here had that problem too. We used 3M automotive double sided tape we go on Amazon. 3/4" wide and used two short piece. Been in place nearly three years now.