Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue DR650S Review + Tesla Model X Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Believe it or not .. my local BestBuy geek squad (Fredericksburg, VA), did a very professional install of my 650S that I purchased on Costco.com. It is hardwired to microphone connector (9/15 build P90D), the install is very clean, took 2 hrs max. cost $105. I was a little nervous about it, but I watched the entire thing. Only issue was wiping fingerprints off car-:).

I'm still familiarizing myself with the DR650, but I am noticing some strange behaviors, at least on longer trips. At some point in the trip it will say "Blackvue for your safe driving, starting normal recording" again (like it does when you initially start your trip). This will keep happening, maybe every 15 minutes or so. At first I thought that maybe my power connection was faulty, but when you cut power to the unit, it seems to use a small battery or supercap to shutdown gracefully and announces so. I'm not hearing any shutdown messages, so I think it is being powered the whole time. I also get "please insert SD card" very rarely, which makes me wonder if the is a problem with the SD card, or the card holder contacts. I'm wondering if maybe there are thermal or other intermittent issue and the start of recording message is happening because the system is rebooting due to firmware crashes?

Anyone else having these sorts of problems?

I'm still familiarizing myself with the DR650, but I am noticing some strange behaviors, at least on longer trips. At some point in the trip it will say "Blackvue for your safe driving, starting normal recording" again (like it does when you initially start your trip). This will keep happening, maybe every 15 minutes or so. At first I thought that maybe my power connection was faulty, but when you cut power to the unit, it seems to use a small battery or supercap to shutdown gracefully and announces so. I'm not hearing any shutdown messages, so I think it is being powered the whole time. I also get "please insert SD card" very rarely, which makes me wonder if the is a problem with the SD card, or the card holder contacts. I'm wondering if maybe there are thermal or other intermittent issue and the start of recording message is happening because the system is rebooting due to firmware crashes?

What kind of memory card did you use? The type memory card you used could cause the intermittent disconnect issues. Using Blackvue memory card would avoid/minimize the issue, but it's more expensive. I have had great experience using the following SD card with the latest firmware 2.007. I have been having it for a couple weeks now without connection issue, not annoying "check your SD card" messages when I used a different 128GB SD from from SP.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-mc12...28&sr=8-2-fkmr2&keywords=samsung+128GB+bravo+

My 650S keeps saying "resetting the time" then "restarting" about everytime I start driving about 1 or 2 minutes into the drive. When I pull the files the time is always right for before this message, I have about a 30 second gap in the recordings then things continue on as normal. I've already ordered a replacement for my current unit just to make sure it's the unit itself. Tried all variations of the stock 64GB card as well as others...formatted, firmware etc.

My 650S keeps saying "resetting the time" then "restarting" about everytime I start driving about 1 or 2 minutes into the drive. When I pull the files the time is always right for before this message, I have about a 30 second gap in the recordings then things continue on as normal. I've already ordered a replacement for my current unit just to make sure it's the unit itself. Tried all variations of the stock 64GB card as well as others...formatted, firmware etc.

My DR650S on the X is working fine but my DR650GW on the Acura TLX started having this issue where is would say restoring every one in a while, not sure what the issue is. I will contact blackvue and keep you posted? Is this the same issue you have?

If anyone knows a resolution to this let me know, it could mean that the SD card needs formatting or a firmware bug.

Yup. Same issues. My blackvue DR650s resets randomly while driving. Also, the direct wifi and cloud are impossible to use. The download is in a constant state of "buffer" and won't allow me to play the video. The app also crashes most of the time when doing this. I can pull the SD card out and play the videos just fine via pc. Anyone else find cloud use unusable?

Yup. Same issues. My blackvue DR650s resets randomly while driving. Also, the direct wifi and cloud are impossible to use. The download is in a constant state of "buffer" and won't allow me to play the video. The app also crashes most of the time when doing this. I can pull the SD card out and play the videos just fine via pc. Anyone else find cloud use unusable?

Cloud works fine with me, does anyone only use Blackvue SD cards?? I know that Blackvue only wants to use their brands of SD card but they are kind of pricey?? Perhaps that is the reason for our issues? Is anyone having success with using one of these: BlackVue OEM Class 10 Micro SD Memory Cards

I can't believe we have to use the Blackvue sd card. That makes no sense to me. Has anyone used an alternate 64gb or 128gb card without issues?

I have been using this on my DR650S since June always on without an issue: http://amzn.to/2ceH3ad

However, my old DR650 that I had since May last year, is now finally having the restating issue. Will try to troubleshoot and see what happens.

I was told you don't want the fastsst SD card as they generate lots of heat so an average one is preferred.

• Informative
Reactions: MGMDaware
I read on dashcamtalk that some had success with the sandisk 64gb high endurance card. It also had a few amazon reviews reporting success with blackvue cameras. I just purchased one. I will report back when I get it. Thanks!

The funny thing is, I am running the Blackvue branded card. It's a 32GB MLC Class 6 card. It came included in the price of the unit - I didn't even have to install it. I will try some other cards - I make a product that uses microSD, so we have a large variety of cards around here for testing.

What kind of memory card did you use? The type memory card you used could cause the intermittent disconnect issues. Using Blackvue memory card would avoid/minimize the issue, but it's more expensive. I have had great experience using the following SD card with the latest firmware 2.007. I have been having it for a couple weeks now without connection issue, not annoying "check your SD card" messages when I used a different 128GB SD from from SP.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-mc128d-128gb-Uhs-i-Adapter/dp/B0118LR9Z8/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1473810428&sr=8-2-fkmr2&keywords=samsung+128GB+bravo+

Just installed the sandisk 64gb high endurance card. I tried formatting via PC first. The cloud was COMPLETELY unusable. It would crash almost immediately. This morning, I reformatted in the camera and then tested the wifi direct after my commute. It worked great. I will test cloud play back when I get home!

The funny thing is, I am running the Blackvue branded card. It's a 32GB MLC Class 6 card. It came included in the price of the unit - I didn't even have to install it. I will try some other cards - I make a product that uses microSD, so we have a large variety of cards around here for testing.

Before spending money on another card, I would recommend you apply the latest firmware first, 2.007.

Just installed the sandisk 64gb high endurance card. I tried formatting via PC first. The cloud was COMPLETELY unusable. It would crash almost immediately. This morning, I reformatted in the camera and then tested the wifi direct after my commute. It worked great. I will test cloud play back when I get home!

Did you make sure that you formatted it using Fat32 using Windows, MsDOS when using MAC OS?