Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blank screen??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wonder if we both have the same problem?
When did you get your Model 3 and last six of the VIN number?
I just posted a bunch of my relevant info in the poll thread: Poll: Frequent black screen at startup?

But, because I like to live dangerously... and make a point about how silly it is that everybody feels the need to hide some significant figures from their VIN...I'm going to give you and the world my *complete VIN*! I'm just that kind of risk-taker. 5YJ3E1EBXJF108496
Delivered September 23rd.

@TigaFF
Glad they gave me a new Model S loaner.
My first service visit was a few weeks after delivery of my 3. The Model S loaner they gave me had fewer miles than my car! And while it was great to see what was offered in the latest S, I honestly couldn't wait to get my 3 back. I like driving it better. In theory the S was quicker than my car. Definitely the suspension (smart air now standard on the S) was more compliant. But... not a fan of the center display UI, and just too much going on in that interior with the plastic vents, the fake/real wood, the "gages" behind the wheel (I couldn't find my speedo at first! It was in the wrong place!). So yeah... the S is great. My 3 is better. (I mean except for the blank display).

Older model S but in decent condition - would like to get the 3 back
Zactly.

Reactions: gasmiser1
I do miss my Model 3 as well. My wife prefers taking our Model S for long trips. The free SuperCharging is a nice perk.

@EVnut-

108,000+ VIN, wow. I thought my locked black screen was an eralier VIN number problem. Apparently not.

Thanks for the link re: Poll: Frequent black screen. I’ll follow this thread for sure. I experienced black screen upon start up only a few times. Previously black screen while driving or frozen screen issues happened about 6 times. Hopefully Tesla can find a permanent fix to the locked black screen for all whom are having the problem.

Last edited:
108,000+ VIN, wow. I thought my locked black screen was an earlier VIN number problem. Apparently not.

Thanks for the link re: Poll: Frequent black screen. I’ll follow this thread for sure. I experienced black screen upon start up only a few times. Previously black screen while driving or frozen screen issues happened about 6 times. Hopefully Tesla can find a permanent fix to the locked black screen for all whom are having the problem.

As you'll see in my post on the poll thread.... this happened to a friend with a December '17 build... and to mine built in Aug 18. So build date really doesn't seem to matter. Between the two of us, we've spanned most of the build dates!

I just picked up my Model 3 last Friday and on Sunday morning when I got into the car, the display did not come on and I have to do a reboot with the scroll buttons. And this morning, the same thing happened. I can drive the car but the display was just blank until I reboot again.

Anyone else have seen this issue?
Try rebooting with your foot on the brake petal until it does dark.

Just adding we've had blank screen 3 times so far in about 3 weeks of ownership. So they haven't fixed whatever problem there is.
Sorry to hear that this continues.... Only silver lining? At least it is only happening once per week instead of multiple times per day! Nothing helped for me except for CPU replacement. How could that be?? All I know is that it worked. Good luck.

I have model 3 and the screen went blank randomly. Most of the time when I search a song. Contacted Plano service center and talked to Branden a month ago and never got any updates. They said it's mostly just firmware issue. I still have the same issue 2-3 times a week.
Contacted Mobile service and they said nothing they can do since it happened 2 weeks before they came. It happened again 2-3 days ago and texted him but no response at all.

I have model 3 and the screen went blank randomly. Most of the time when I search a song. Contacted Plano service center and talked to Branden a month ago and never got any updates. They said it's mostly just firmware issue. I still have the same issue 2-3 times a week.
Contacted Mobile service and they said nothing they can do since it happened 2 weeks before they came. It happened again 2-3 days ago and texted him but no response at all.
My service guys really wanted a video. And because mine would be blank at least once per day, I just started recording every time before getting in. I ended up with 14 consecutive videos in 14 days. Suddenly they had no more excuse to say, "we did not observe this behavior." And then they replaced the CPU, and for a couple of months now it has been perfect.