Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blew something up in the rear!…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not necessarily, if the aftermarket parts didn't cause a OEM part or system to fail ie. rear drive unit then it shouldn't be a problem.

Note the word "shouldn't"
Yea that will turn out badly. It takes nothing for an SC to void his *sugar* but to fight it is an uphill battle even with MM act or not. This is why I posted that warning. Hopefully OP gets the hint.

Reactions: Suns_PSD
This is the most appropriate comment on aftermarket parts and their impact on your Tesla warranty.
If you watch the full video, which is a little bit long and repetitive, the Model Y got the suspension upgraded and then was rented on Turo.

Several Turo renter signaled some noise, so after a while, the owner decided to get an alignment but it was impossible to get a correct alignment.

The owner suspected that one renter had a Joe drive and even 'fly' on a speed bump which might be the origin of the drive train problem.

I think this would had been a red flag for me. However the owner continued rented the car on Turo.

One renter found a bolt covered of grease inside the bottom cover of the car where the leak occured.

- If this would have been my car, I would had inspected in detail the car and removed all the covers to check all the ball joints and axials mounts.

It seems that the owner was too busy making Youtube videos, needed Turo to get some revenue, and had other cars to drive.

Note: The Model Y was one of the very first batch, had the propulsion battery replaced, was involved in two fender bender accidents, and was rented on Turo.

They won’t touch it Or they won’t cover it since you modified it?
They wont touch the car because I have aftermarket wheels. I guess it's their policy to not work on parts of the car that are not original equipment? He also stated it's up to the tech if he wants to do it. It's terrible for tesla service centers to have this policy. I had them check the logs of my previous cars that I've had with them and they've all been worked on with aftermarket parts. Pissed me off because I had to drive 45 mins away from my family for them to say no they cant do it.

If you watch the full video, which is a little bit long and repetitive, the Model Y got the suspension upgraded and then was rented on Turo.

Several Turo renter signaled some noise, so after a while, the owner decided to get an alignment but it was impossible to get a correct alignment.

The owner suspected that one renter had a Joe drive and even 'fly' on a speed bump which might be the origin of the drive train problem.

I think this would had been a red flag for me. However the owner continued rented the car on Turo.

One renter found a bolt covered of grease inside the bottom cover of the car where the leak occured.

- If this would have been my car, I would had inspected in detail the car and removed all the covers to check all the ball joints and axials mounts.

It seems that the owner was too busy making Youtube videos, needed Turo to get some revenue, and had other cars to drive.

Note: The Model Y was one of the very first batch, had the propulsion battery replaced, was involved in two fender bender accidents, and was rented on Turo.
Yep. I have watched before. All the well going "really" and shaking my head. A lot of red flags and renting continues. I really hope this business is still, and continues to be, financially viable. But. just like a chain operation, one bad asset can create a lot of drag on the overall entity.

Yep. I have watched before. All the well going "really" and shaking my head. A lot of red flags and renting continues. I really hope this business is still, and continues to be, financially viable. But. just like a chain operation, one bad asset can create a lot of drag on the overall entity.
Yes about Turo renting, if it was my car I would use my dashcam connected
to the Cloud to monitor the car usage and put a speed limit to 75 Miles/hour or so.

When you rent a car, very often you have to sign a waiver authorizing the
rental company to check your speed using GPS. Turo renters should do the same.

Not necessarily, if the aftermarket parts didn't cause a OEM part or system to fail ie. rear drive unit then it shouldn't be a problem.

Note the word "shouldn't"
Many car manufacturers including Tesla have never heard of (or pretend to never have heard of) the Moss Magnuson warranty act. If it gets elevated to the point of taking them to court you will win... but if (like Ryan Shaw) damage was caused by a Turo Rental, it is hard to pin it on a manufacturing defect.

Keith

SC are so retarded. I got turned away for an alignment because I have aftermarket wheels. Car had a flawed alignment upon delivery but they wont touch my car because it has aftermarket wheels on them.

Trade wheels with someone for a day or so, get the alignment done and then trade back. I agree that you shouldn't HAVE TO do this... but it is easier than arguing with retreads and less expensive than paying for an alignment.

Keith

Reactions: Thefourphans
They wont touch the car because I have aftermarket wheels. I guess it's their policy to not work on parts of the car that are not original equipment? He also stated it's up to the tech if he wants to do it. It's terrible for tesla service centers to have this policy. I had them check the logs of my previous cars that I've had with them and they've all been worked on with aftermarket parts. Pissed me off because I had to drive 45 mins away from my family for them to say no they cant do it.

When you operate on a "no profit" system, there is zero incentive to make the customer happy, so why do any work that you can avoid?

Keith