Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blew something up in the rear!…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They won’t touch it Or they won’t cover it since you modified it?
Aftermarket wheels should have nothing to do with the alignment, assuming there's nothing wrong with the wheels.
You can hardly blame the companies. I mean who puts a lowering kit, wider tires, different springs, etc. on a car to drive to the market on Wednesday and church on Sunday.
Not everyone modifies their car to drive like Mario Andretti. I'm looking at getting a Mountain Pass Performance suspension upgrade simply to make it ride better (on my way to church on Sunday.)

OP: Let us know what happens. Having something like this happen twice tells me there's some underlying issue that's causing it. Hopefully the SC can figure it out.

Reactions: Michav717
Aftermarket wheels should have nothing to do with the alignment, assuming there's nothing wrong with the wheels.

Not everyone modifies their car to drive like Mario Andretti. I'm looking at getting a Mountain Pass Performance suspension upgrade simply to make it ride better (on my way to church on Sunday.)

OP: Let us know what happens. Having something like this happen twice tells me there's some underlying issue that's causing it. Hopefully the SC can figure it out.
Some folks chose to upgrade their suspension setup with coilovers, yet many people don't know they require rebuild/overhaul every 2-3 years with normal use and shorter interval for some off road/track use, which will cost $$$.

Some folks chose to upgrade their suspension setup with coilovers, yet many people don't know they require rebuild/overhaul every 2-3 years with normal use and shorter interval for some off road/track use, which will cost $$$.
To add to the misery, a lot of those sell their stock parts thinking they'll never need them again. Rebuild time is usually weeks if you're lucky on top of transport not to mention the cost.

Reactions: nate704

The OP didn’t just change tires/rims. He changed the entire rear end suspension.

Reactions: Pianewman
Where do you get that information? The research I've done says good coilovers should last much longer.
I guess you are not into race/track/high performance suspension modification side of the world.

These are just quick find from google, and there are tons of information on BMW, Porsche, VW and other performance car forum posts with great deal of information regarding the coilover rebuild interval, how long they last, rebuild cost, etc.

Coilovers are built for performance ,not for longevity.

I guess you are not into race/track/high performance suspension modification side of the world.

These are just quick find from google, and there are tons of information on BMW, Porsche, VW and other performance car forum posts with great deal of information regarding the coilover rebuild interval, how long they last, rebuild cost, etc.

Coilovers are built for performance ,not for longevity.
The first link is for motorcycles.

Would be interesting to have someone like @MountainPass chime in here, since they sell the coilover suspension for street use.

Sooo I was driving and all of the sudden the was a decent bang when I accelerated in the rear and the back lifted like I drove over something and immediately my speed got limited to 37mph and within a second it put me in neutral, cut the power to the motors, told me to pull over safely and get towed for service. Tow truck driver said it might be that I blew my differential. Any one had this happen to me there’s 7500 miles on the model y performance. I have the MPP kw suspension and upper control arms on it with endlinks and UP sway bars.

The picture below were the last warnings I saw.
rear motor blew the pyrotechnic charges to cut power to the rear motor. My friend had this exact same thing happen to him 2 months ago. Call tesla service, tow car, and let tesla do their thing. ask for a loaner

tesla replaced the rear motor and other bits. took 4 weeks total in his case

your aftermarket parts did not cause the issue.

Reactions: Michav717
I had to re-read Michav717's post. I THINK what he's saying is his car broke down while he was traversing a "bad neighborhood" and THEN it broke down. making him "...stuck in a bad neighborhood...for 2.5 hrs..."
Yea exactly it’s wasn’t a terrible neighborhood. It was In Korea town in Los Angeles getting Kbbq with a couple friends but I ended up in a bad little culdecas when I rolled into it when the car put me into neutral after the fuse blew. Then yes there were sketchy people hanging out in this culdesac. Lol just broke down in an unfortunate spot.

Also one again Tesla didn’t care about the aftermarket parts on my car. The first time they changed the high voltage controller and the pyrotechnic fuse (the main fuse for the battery) even complement my parts. I got my car back. Had it for a week and I blew another high voltage controller and fuse.

Now Tesla has it again. They gave me a model s p100d loaner for now.

We’ll see what they say this time.

Yea it’s definitely a bigger picture issue here they’re for sure gonna have to give me a solid answer now.

Also I love the @MountainPass coilovers since they’re made by KW you can’t go wrong. The ride is amazing. They have the best adjustability too out of any product on the market. Ohlins are nice too but I prefer the MPP. Don’t even bother thinking about UP ones..

Reactions: Suns_PSD
They're called Stealerships for a reason. Think of them like insurance companies. Their sole purpose is to take your money and do everything they can to not to give it back.
It's about realistic expectations. Tesla is no different from any other manufacturer.
For many traditional dealerships the service department is the many source of income so there's often pressure to sell more services. I don't know what the financial model is for Tesla service centers but it's likely somewhat different.

For many traditional dealerships the service department is the many source of income so there's often pressure to sell more services. I don't know what the financial model is for Tesla service centers but it's likely somewhat different.
They have to get approval from Tesla Corporate for warranty work. They don't for 'services'.
Tesla, GM, Ford, etc... are all the same. The Service Techs upsell because they work on commission. Can't blame them because they gotta feed their family but it creates a situation where the customer gets screwed.

Holy *sugar*, Schnitz. An employee gets paid a living wage "because they gotta feed their family", and you call that, "...the customer gets screwed..."?????

I'll never understand the whining of any/all of us when the system of "Free Enterprise" and Capitalism (earnings for investors) is working.

They have to get approval from Tesla Corporate for warranty work. They don't for 'services'.
Tesla, GM, Ford, etc... are all the same. The Service Techs upsell because they work on commission. Can't blame them because they gotta feed their family but it creates a situation where the customer gets screwed.
Service techs working on commission? That makes no sense. And I haven't seen anything that indicates that the service advisors work on commission either. Sales advisors can get bonuses for selling certainly inventory vehicles (or at least, used to) but I've seen nothing about service advisors. Got a link?