Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind spot display is dangerous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new blind spot display is potentially dangerous. By putting it at the bottom of the visualization display instead of the navigation screen eliminates the icons of the neighboring cars, this removes important information. Another thing wrong with the placement is that it's always on the left side of the screen even for right hand turns, this is disorienting. And finally it's looking at the wrong things, I'm mostly seeing buildings at the side of the road not things that are close to the car. The side view display when you back up puts the display in the right place, at the bottom of the nav screen with the right on the right and the left on the left.

Reactions: CJMurphy11
I have been using it now for a few days--logged nearly 1000 miles with it already. I don't find it dangerous. I wish location was a little different and I have never once felt disoriented because it was on the left because I had my right turn signal on--but that might just be me. Dangerous is a pretty strong word. I think it adds more than it subtracts.

Others, what are your thoughts?

I think that it is too far out of my normal line of sight. I can't see it out of the corner of my eye and so I have to move my eyes over and down. That would take my focus away from the other things that I need to be checking while changing lanes.

I drive a Honda Accord with a similar side-view camera view for over 7 years now, and I find it very useful. The Tesla camera placement may be not the best, but generally it is a welcome addition. If anyone feels endangered or disoriented, you can always turn it off. Some people feel the basic cruise control (on any car) is dangerous, and they solve the problem but just not using it, you know.

Reactions: EVNow and SPACE_EX
At night, it’s not useful
I noticed last night that the night time camera sensitivity made it much easier to see certain things like lines compared to the mirror. The glare from vehicle lights isn't great although the FSD Beta neural networks seem to predict things fine.

So now there's 3 things to check blind spot to be extra safe: mirror, visualization, camera.

I also agree that placement is not the best. Similar to the user who drove an accord before, the Honda Civic that this feature and it was GREAT. Extremely useful and the digital lines showing you if car is too close was a great cherry on top.

I was excited about this coming to Tesla but after activating it, the placement is just really annoying. 99% of the time my right arm is in the way (holding steering whee with both hands). So everytime I want to use the feature, I have to remove my arm to see. Meanwhile, on the left part of the screen where we see our car, right above it, there is usable space with nothing oculuing it. That would have been a much better placement. Or at least give us options of where to place it. I would opt for TOP left or right. But at the bottom, you almost always have to remove you arm.

You can see from the picture that the lines let you know if the car is too close to pass. Very useful. I just wish Tesla would allow placement on the top area of the screen.

Attachments

• ADCFF3B0-BD29-429C-9F45-E9D57614E098.jpeg
    ADCFF3B0-BD29-429C-9F45-E9D57614E098.jpeg
    266 KB · Views: 165
I have it on but rarely use it to check for blind spot.

If I were designing this feature, I would have Left repeater, rear camera, and right repeater all show up no matter which direction you're attempting to turn. And I would use the map/nav area to display them, since at the instant you're trying to change lanes, you likely don't care about the map or the nav route line.

Even better is if they take the imagery from L-repeat, rear, R-repeat, and blend it into a single panoramic image, that comes on for every turn signal. This single panoramic image could be docked to the top or bottom, spanning the entire screen. Docked = not covering any info. Vectorspace can be scaled down. Map area can be reduced.

I can not see cars next to me or pulling up next to me in my new model S. I was run off the road trying to merge because it was either the should or a car I couldn’t see on the dashboard. It just did not show. Now I need to figure out how to get a large scrape out of a brand new car! Why can’t they just put a yellow warning in the mirror like everyone else 🤦🏻

• Funny
Reactions: qdeathstar
I turned it off. It’s (for me) harder and more awkward to look down left in the screen than it is to just turn my head.
Ditto. We don't like to look at the screen for the blind spot wheb switching lane. Still rely on the mirrors. And our Suma mirrors help with the blind spot to enhance your driving experience.

For those who are interested in blind spot mirrors, we are doing an anniversary sale now.

Here is a video for a reference. OEM vs Suma Blind Spot Mirrors