Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind spot monitor on newest update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But be careful, as I discovered on our Christmas road trip, I pissed off two truckers because I pulled back in front of them after making a pass. Got the horn and flashing lights because while the image makes it look like you have sufficient space, you don’t. I guess it’s optical distortion in the camera which were not designed for that purpose.

I hope some one devises a test the measure the distance involved so folks have the facts and know you still need to look over your shoulders before pulling in front of another moving vehicle.

Reactions: Exscite
But be careful, as I discovered on our Christmas road trip, I pissed off two truckers because I pulled back in front of them after making a pass. Got the horn and flashing lights because while the image makes it look like you have sufficient space, you don’t. I guess it’s optical distortion in the camera which were not designed for that purpose.

I hope some one devises a test the measure the distance involved so folks have the facts and know you still need to look over your shoulders before pulling in front of another moving vehicle.
The cameras are somewhat wide angle, which make objects look smaller and further away. I found the same issue when I pull out to pass. So I continue to use mirrors and look over my shoulder as I think the Blind Spot Monitoring system is pretty useless. Fortunately after 59 years of driving looking over my shoulder is an automatic thing.

Reactions: LindyLoo
I can not get the straight story out of Tesla for why a 2020 and earlier S does not have this blind spot feature. I have been told 3 different answers from Tesla via their chat function (twice) and my local service center:

My first chat session said it will be available for my 2020 MS. I just have to schedule a service appointment and ask for the "camera retrofit update" which I would be entitled to for free since I paid for full self driving. I made the appointment and service told me the parts are on back order and to make an appointment in a few weeks. They could not tell me if the retrofit is really for 2016 and earlier MS to have more FSD features. My car may have the latest camera. To order the update, you have to go to request a Service appointment on your app and click on Updates and Accessories. When available, there will be an option that says "camera retrofit update." No one can tell me if this will ever be available for cars built after 2016 that have the older cameras. My APP does not give me an option for a "camera retrofit update."

2. Answer 2: The blind spot feature is only available for 2021 + model S and X. No one can say if there is a hardware or software issue that will not allow it to work on a 2020 MS. SOMEONE MUST KNOW! My service center just doesn't know what to day and wants me to wait for the option to appear on my app. I have them the book "Waiting for Godot" to read.

I can not get the straight story out of Tesla for why a 2020 and earlier S does not have this blind spot feature. I have been told 3 different answers from Tesla via their chat function (twice) and my local service center:

My first chat session said it will be available for my 2020 MS. I just have to schedule a service appointment and ask for the "camera retrofit update" which I would be entitled to for free since I paid for full self driving. I made the appointment and service told me the parts are on back order and to make an appointment in a few weeks. They could not tell me if the retrofit is really for 2016 and earlier MS to have more FSD features. My car may have the latest camera. To order the update, you have to go to request a Service appointment on your app and click on Updates and Accessories. When available, there will be an option that says "camera retrofit update." No one can tell me if this will ever be available for cars built after 2016 that have the older cameras. My APP does not give me an option for a "camera retrofit update."

2. Answer 2: The blind spot feature is only available for 2021 + model S and X. No one can say if there is a hardware or software issue that will not allow it to work on a 2020 MS. SOMEONE MUST KNOW! My service center just doesn't know what to day and wants me to wait for the option to appear on my app. I have them the book "Waiting for Godot" to read.

Any update on this? I also have a 2020 MS and would really like this feature

I have a 2020 MS that was in for service today. The story I got from the tech is that cars with a vertical oriented screen did not get the blind spot feature. It may come in a future update. My guess is it’s something to do with the UI layout. Bummer.

Well at least that is an answer and somehow in Tesla's universe it sort of makes sense. :cool:
I could have avoided a parking scrape which caused a damage of over $4000 on the right side of my 2018 Tesla S with FSD if I have a blind spot view. I hope they invest in the software update to enable this feature. We don't have a 360 deg view and this is the next best thing.