Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blocking or covering the air vent output?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I'm driving the Model 3, my wife often does not want any air blowing on her (but I still want the AC and fan on the driver side). Directing the air up and to one side or split side-to-side, apparently isn't good enough.

Since it doesn't appear to be possible to individually stop the air output between the driver and passenger, does anyone know of a device that would allow the air to be stopped or blocked? (I honestly like the manual vents in my S better)

I've considered making a plastic slat or cover that sits behind the touch screen, in the vent trough, which can then be slid to the right or left, to cover the vent. Before I go to the work of creating the 3D model and prototyping, I'm just wondering if someone else has already solved this problem. :)

Reactions: dance.parrot
Joking aside, I don't understand the freaking weirdos who want totally still, stale air.

"Oh yes, I love the feeling of having a duvet over my face while I progressively make the air more and more moist and muggy and awful"
Hah, well, to be fair, she just doesn't want the air blowing on her, it's fine if it's blowing on the other side of the car. Most (dare I say All other) cars allow you to close the individual air vents, only the model 3 and Y don't support this.

Reactions: corndog
If it's good enough for Apollo 13, it's good enough for the Tesla Model 3:

gray-3m-adhesives-tape-2960-64_400_compressed.jpg

outstanding -- how do we replicate ?
OP has provided the 3D drawings on his thingiverse.com site (click on "Download All Files"). You then use those .stl files to print the objects on your 3D printer using the suggested material (ABS). Assuming you don't have such a printer, there's many online sites where you can upload the files and have them make it for you. Xometry.com and 3dhubs.com are two (Google: 3d printing service).

OP has provided the 3D drawings on his thingiverse.com site (click on "Download All Files"). You then use those .stl files to print the objects on your 3D printer using the suggested material (ABS). Assuming you don't have such a printer, there's many online sites where you can upload the files and have them make it for you. Xometry.com and 3dhubs.com are two (Google: 3d printing service).
Thank you very much -- i will do that.

Having the exact same problem with the front blower on while hvac is on “Auto”, my wife is wearing lenses and irritating her eyes, i’m not comfortable either with the cold air directly in my face.

Thanks for the info on that blocking strip.

Well... this is a nice solution to an actual 'problem ' that people have. Looks good enough to resell.

Overhere, they are not complaining about the upper air flow, but the lower air flow to the feet. If it's hot and they wear flipflops, they complain about the cold air directed to their feet. Have no solution yet, besides them wearing socks ;)

Last edited: