Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

bluetooth calling bug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

crackers8199

May 31, 2015
SoCal
since it seems tesla is inexplicably uninterested in fixing it, does anyone have a workaround for this stupid thing to get bluetooth calling working on the first call? i'm at the point now where i'm just going to turn phone audio off because i can never know for sure if it's going to actually work or not, and i'm sick of having to explain to the other party why i have to call them 3 or 4 or 10 times before the call actually works correctly...

Is this bug the phone call happens, but cant hear anything from the car's audio? I just noticed this for the first time this week, after I updated to .50 software.

when trying to call out (not sure if it happens on incoming actually), after pressing dial the car plays some sort of garbled audio, then the call connects and the timer starts, but you can't hear anything on your end. not sure if the other end can hear or not.

after a few calls, it eventually starts working and then will work for the remainder of that drive...once you exit the car and come back it starts over again.

since it seems tesla is inexplicably uninterested in fixing it, does anyone have a workaround for this stupid thing to get bluetooth calling working on the first call? i'm at the point now where i'm just going to turn phone audio off because i can never know for sure if it's going to actually work or not, and i'm sick of having to explain to the other party why i have to call them 3 or 4 or 10 times before the call actually works correctly...
1. Tesla has no interest in anything to do with Audio (Phone/Mp3/Streaming), unless its Fart noises. This has been made clear in many many rreleases
2. The BT bug (at least in my car) is related to audio being sent to the car rather than staying on the phone. If you talk the other party can hear you, however since BT audio is not going to the car you cannot hear unless you pick up the phone and hold it to your ear.

Reactions: SJC3
I have to disconnect audio from BT to Phone on my phone device and back to phone. Only then I can hear audio through speakers. Else it will be from phone's ear piece. This happens for every first call if I'm dialing out. If I receive then it works fine.

My husband would have problems making a call out to me when he was in his Model S. This would be making a call through the car with his paired iPhone. It would always be the first call he made after getting into the car. Believe he could hear me but I couldn't hear him. All he had to do as a workaround was, as soon as he made the call, adjust the volume on the left scroll wheel (he said even one notch seemed to do the trick) and the sound volume problem wasn't there when he did. I don't seem to have this as a problem on my Model 3 but you might want to try the scroll wheel and see if it helps. It's possible I do have the problem, but because when I call out I always automatically without thinking adjust the volume level as the call is being made, it doesn't show up for me. It was always very frustrating for us when he would call me and we couldn't seem to talk to each other without me hanging up and him redialing. As I said he said it only affected the first call that he made during that car trip.

Last edited:
My husband would have problems making a call out to me when he was in his Model S. This would be making a call through the car with his paired iPhone. It would always be the first call he made after getting into the car. Believe he could hear me but I couldn't hear him. All he had to do as a workaround was, as soon as he made the call, adjust the volume on the left scroll wheel (he said even one notch seemed to do the trick) and the sound volume problem wasn't there when he did. I don't seem to have this as a problem on my Model 3 but you might want to try the scroll wheel and see if it helps. It's possible I do have the problem, but because when I call out I always automatically without thinking adjust the volume level as the call is being made, it doesn't show up for me. It was always very frustrating for us when he would call me and we couldn't seem to talk to each other without me hanging up and him redialing. As I said he said it only affected the first call that he made during that car trip.

yeah, i've seen that as a workaround elsewhere as well...but it does not work for me.

just got this reply from tesla support:

I'm reaching our in regards to some behavior you reported with the first Bluetooth call on entry to the vehicle. This is currently known behavior that we are investigating and expect to be resolved in a future software update. I don't believe this will require any physical repair at this point. We appreciate your patience while we work through this investigation and work towards a software resolution. I don't have an ETA that this time but I can you that we are working on this particular behavior. If you need anything else, feel free to reach out to us through the information in my signature.

Interesting, I rarely make calls while I'm driving but they have always worked for me without issue so far *knocks on wood*. When you say when you first enter the car, how long after being in the car are you making this call that doesn't work? The soonest I have was shortly after leaving the office, say 3 - 4 minutes into the drive, and that worked. I have no clue if I'm just lucky or if it's timing?

I don't experience like the OP, but it does take time for my LG G6 Android smart phone to connect via Bluetooth once in my Model 3 (with 2018.49.20), probably within a minute or so. Sometimes it takes forever and I just end up using my phone's speaker mode if I've been using the Bluetooth, get out of the car, get back in within minutes and tried to use the car's Bluetooth again. I wonder if it has to do with specific users' phones going to sleep and shutting down the Bluetooth radio. I know sometimes my phone really goes to sleep and the Bluetooth gets shutoff completely.

I'll have to try that work around. This just started happening for me on my Model 3, after 5 months of it working fine. And not after an update. The other party fails to hear me only on the first call. It's like the MIC is muted on the first call.

I have noticed when even just making a call on my phone (no car involved) that if I hit Speaker as soon as I'm dialing sometimes the audio doesn't come through to the phone, so maybe it's a similar issue when suddenly connecting to the car as you enter.

I typically am not on the phone getting into the car (husband is frequently) but I make or take most of my calls when already inside. I have wondered if sometimes I haven't touched the steering wheel's scroll wheel and accidentally depressed it which would mute (pause) the audio. That or sometimes getting out of the car haven't grabbed the steering wheel exiting and hit the scroll wheel in a downward movement thereby reducing the volume. So explained by things you do without thinking.

I will say every time I have not had sound or my husband hasn't when placing calls to me, all we've had to do to get audio is to roll the scroll wheel up.

FYI, it seems this is fixed (at least with my phone) as of 2019.5.15...knock on wood. my OP5 has had no issues making or receiving calls since this update, as of yet...

can anyone else who was also having issues check to see if it is resolved for them?