Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth problems on phone calls only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've always had problems (such as with phone-as-key), though my phone is older (2015 HTC One m9) so that may be part of it. For a while I've had general BT connection issues (sometimes works fine, most of the time it's constantly connecting and disconnecting), which is a newer problem - originally it would connect the BT audio functions fine (even when phone as key was being flaky). Don't know if it coincides with the problems everyone else is reporting.

My annoyance since day one has been that about half the time (when it's otherwise working fine), I won't be able to hear the other end of the conversation (but they can hear me) for around 20 seconds, and then it all works fine after that. Of course now with the constantly flapping BT connection I also get constantly switching between hands free that I can't hear and the phone itself, with the car unpausing the music every time it loses the BT connection to the phone so the other end of the conversation gets blasted with music via the non-hands free ...

In another thread, @crackers8199 suggested (moving here because it's on-topic here but peripheral to the other thread)....

crdroid. currently on 4-30 build and it has worked perfectly (and did so on builds prior to this as well), about to update to 5-14...hopefully without issue.

also of note: i have an op5, not the 5t. not sure if that matters, but wanted to make sure to clarify.

I just gave this a try on my OnePlus 5t. The latest crDroid (20190513) did not help. Thus, I'm guessing there's some critical difference between the OnePlus 5 and the OnePlus 5t; however, it could be some unknown configuration difference, too.

Reactions: crackers8199
Starting some time ago, a matter of a few weeks, I think, my car will answer calls, but hearing the incoming audio is delayed. I have figured out that the caller can hear me even though I cannot hear them. So what I need to do is to say hello and say that I cannot hear the caller, but to please wait. After about 20-30 seconds or so, then I start hearing the caller's voice and everything is back to normal after that. This is in my Model S, not a Model 3. I cannot tie the change to a specific software update, but it might be related to one. Of course, there have also been software updates to the Android system recently, so who knows what the cause is. But in any case, it seems to work if both parties are willing to wait fro 15-20 seconds, maybe a bit more. Annoying, though, and Tesla should fix it if it is on their end. But since it is tied to the audio system, I won't hold my breath.

In another thread, @crackers8199 suggested (moving here because it's on-topic here but peripheral to the other thread)....

I just gave this a try on my OnePlus 5t. The latest crDroid (20190513) did not help. Thus, I'm guessing there's some critical difference between the OnePlus 5 and the OnePlus 5t; however, it could be some unknown configuration difference, too.

i wish i could say for sure when this stopped for me...i want to say it was around 12.1.1 or 12.1.2 (maybe the build before that). i have been using crdroid as my daily driver for quite some time, so that has been constant.

Starting some time ago, a matter of a few weeks, I think, my car will answer calls, but hearing the incoming audio is delayed. I have figured out that the caller can hear me even though I cannot hear them. So what I need to do is to say hello and say that I cannot hear the caller, but to please wait. After about 20-30 seconds or so, then I start hearing the caller's voice and everything is back to normal after that. This is in my Model S, not a Model 3. I cannot tie the change to a specific software update, but it might be related to one. Of course, there have also been software updates to the Android system recently, so who knows what the cause is. But in any case, it seems to work if both parties are willing to wait fro 15-20 seconds, maybe a bit more. Annoying, though, and Tesla should fix it if it is on their end. But since it is tied to the audio system, I won't hold my breath.
This has been happening to me for ages. I just assume my aging 2015 phone is to blame... unless you've got one of these newer phones that everyone else claim work fine?

I picked up my car 2 days ago. The bluetooth has not worked properly. If I am on the phone or streaming a podcast from my iPhone X the audio will drop off if the Tesla gives an alert and not return. I did a reset today with both toggles and it seemed to help. I'm not optimistic about that sticking after reading through this thread.

This has been happening to me for ages. I just assume my aging 2015 phone is to blame... unless you've got one of these newer phones that everyone else claim work fine?

The formula for failure seems to be: A (certain phones) + B (Tesla car w/ verision 12.x) = #fail

If I change (A) or (B) I can make a bluetooth call no problem.

"Bad phone" + Tesla before 12.x = worked
"Bad phone" + Tesla after 12.x = doesn't work
"Bad phone" + other car = works still now
"Good phone" + Tesla 12.x = works

So yeah, this definitely completely broke in 12.1.1 for me-complete with complete media center blackouts if the phone was on a phone call when I entered the car. 12.1.2 seemed to fix the center console crash but the phone function stayed totally broken and the only thing that unpairing and re-pairing the phone accomplished was that I no longer had garbled static but basically just total silence with the occasional pop.

Either way it seems like 16.1 is rolling out. Has anybody tested whether 16.1 fixes this ridiculous bluetooth issue? I find it ridiculous that for my high tech car I'm reduced to manually putting my phone on speakerphone then yelling into it every time I try to pick up a call or call someone.

Either way it seems like 16.1 is rolling out. Has anybody tested whether 16.1 fixes this ridiculous bluetooth issue? I find it ridiculous that for my high tech car I'm reduced to manually putting my phone on speakerphone then yelling into it every time I try to pick up a call or call someone.

Right now, TeslaFi is reporting 87 (2.9%) Model 3 owners among their users have 2019.16.1, so it's rolling out, but not at the clip that 2019.12.x did. I keep hoping to get 2019.16.1 in the hopes that it'll fix this issue, especially since I've got a road trip coming up soon, so I'll be spending a lot of time in my car. So far I've not gotten it, though.

• Informative
Reactions: darth_vad3r
Right now, TeslaFi is reporting 87 (2.9%) Model 3 owners among their users have 2019.16.1, so it's rolling out, but not at the clip that 2019.12.x did.

I guess I need to signup to see more stats like that 2.9%, or am I just not looking in the right spot?

TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker

I saw the 87 part, not the %. I’m leery about giving a 3rd party any access to my account so I haven’t signed up for any stats trackers even though the data/info available is tempting me greatly.

If someone steals your account credentials they can see where your car is and unlock it and drive it away :)

So I have been attempting to troubleshoot the exact bug the OP posted above, which is a failure of Bluetooth calls to connect and sync audio in my Tesla Model 3 across multiple phones, multiple versions of Android and LineageOS, and multiple Tesla firmware versions for quite some time.

I believe the problem is *not* due to phone hardware alone. I believe this bug results from a combination of bad code somewhere in the Tesla Bluetooth firmware that, when combined with the rewritten Bluetooth stack in AOSP, Android Oreo (8) and Android Pie (9), on which LineageOS is based, causes Bluetooth audio to improperly connect resulting in a short series of pops/stutters upon connecting a call, and then silence.

I have completely un-paired / deleted Bluetooth pairing on each of these phones with full resets of the Tesla computer and phones before re-pairing, with no luck. I have also completed a "scrubbing" of special characters from my phone contacts as it was suggested this caused problems in another thread. Neither of these fixes helped.

Here is what I've tested so far:

Tesla Model 3 with Firmware 2019.12.1.2 (and several previous versions post 9.0):
Samsung Galaxy S5 / LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7) - WORKS
Samsung Galaxy S5 / LineageOS 15.1 (Android 8) - DOES NOT WORK
Samsung Galaxy S5 / LineageOS 16 (Android 9 "Pie") - DOES NOT WORK
OnePlus OnePlus 3T / LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7) - WORKS
OnePlus OnePlus 3T / LineageOS 15.1 (Android 8) - DOES NOT WORK
OnePlus OnePlus 3T / LineageOS 16 (Android 9 "Pie") - DOES NOT WORK

The above testing leads me to believe that the bug is not in fact a hardware bug, but is a code mismatch between the updated Bluetooth stack in "stock Android," AOSP (which is also on Google Pixel phones) and LineageOS, and some code in recent Tesla firmware updates. It may have to do with the introduction of support for new Bluetooth audio codecs by Tesla which do not properly "handshake" with the code in AOSP / LineageOS to identify which protocols / codecs to use to send audio to and from the car. I have not yet tested phone firmware from vendors as I generally do not like outdated, bloated, closed source software on my phones.

There are several active bugs in the LineageOS Gerrit code review system and bug tracker system which suggest some developers are aware of Bluetooth audio problems across multiple devices, but I am unsure what code is causing the issues and whether these are related to our Tesla firmware bugs at all. Bluetooth code appears to be a very messy business indeed.

If anyone has suggestions of code that could be the culprit, please let us know and/or submit to LineageOS upstream and/or AOSP upstream, or submit to Tesla.

So I have been attempting to troubleshoot the exact bug the OP posted above, which is a failure of Bluetooth calls to connect and sync audio in my Tesla Model 3 across multiple phones, multiple versions of Android and LineageOS, and multiple Tesla firmware versions for quite some time.

I believe the problem is *not* due to phone hardware alone. I believe this bug results from a combination of bad code somewhere in the Tesla Bluetooth firmware that, when combined with the rewritten Bluetooth stack in AOSP, Android Oreo (8) and Android Pie (9), on which LineageOS is based, causes Bluetooth audio to improperly connect resulting in a short series of pops/stutters upon connecting a call, and then silence.

I have completely un-paired / deleted Bluetooth pairing on each of these phones with full resets of the Tesla computer and phones before re-pairing, with no luck. I have also completed a "scrubbing" of special characters from my phone contacts as it was suggested this caused problems in another thread. Neither of these fixes helped.

Here is what I've tested so far:

Tesla Model 3 with Firmware 2019.12.1.2 (and several previous versions post 9.0):
Samsung Galaxy S5 / LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7) - WORKS
Samsung Galaxy S5 / LineageOS 15.1 (Android 8) - DOES NOT WORK
Samsung Galaxy S5 / LineageOS 16 (Android 9 "Pie") - DOES NOT WORK
OnePlus OnePlus 3T / LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7) - WORKS
OnePlus OnePlus 3T / LineageOS 15.1 (Android 8) - DOES NOT WORK
OnePlus OnePlus 3T / LineageOS 16 (Android 9 "Pie") - DOES NOT WORK

The above testing leads me to believe that the bug is not in fact a hardware bug, but is a code mismatch between the updated Bluetooth stack in "stock Android," AOSP (which is also on Google Pixel phones) and LineageOS, and some code in recent Tesla firmware updates. It may have to do with the introduction of support for new Bluetooth audio codecs by Tesla which do not properly "handshake" with the code in AOSP / LineageOS to identify which protocols / codecs to use to send audio to and from the car. I have not yet tested phone firmware from vendors as I generally do not like outdated, bloated, closed source software on my phones.

There are several active bugs in the LineageOS Gerrit code review system and bug tracker system which suggest some developers are aware of Bluetooth audio problems across multiple devices, but I am unsure what code is causing the issues and whether these are related to our Tesla firmware bugs at all. Bluetooth code appears to be a very messy business indeed.

If anyone has suggestions of code that could be the culprit, please let us know and/or submit to LineageOS upstream and/or AOSP upstream, or submit to Tesla.

It's not specifically an Android 7 vs 8/9 thing, though perhaps that's one variation of it. My phone is on Android 7 (though as I've stated before it's an older phone, 2015 HTC One m9, which also means it's not vanilla Android so it could be that the modified Android on this phone has the same problem as 8/9 do "stock") and experiences the same problem.

It’s not just Android, iOS too. Likely some underlying driver issue in the phone inomlativoe with some recent Bluetooth sidtware changes on Tesla’s side.

I’m hoping it wasn’t an intentional security related change they won’t undo/fix but instead an actual bug they will fix.

It's not specifically an Android 7 vs 8/9 thing, though perhaps that's one variation of it. My phone is on Android 7 (though as I've stated before it's an older phone, 2015 HTC One m9, which also means it's not vanilla Android so it could be that the modified Android on this phone has the same problem as 8/9 do "stock") and experiences the same problem.

Thanks. As I said I am an open-source / Google "stock" firmware guy so I haven't tested any vendor-specific code like HTC's, and I suspect your HTC vendor firmware might have some of the new Bluetooth stack code in it if you are still getting security updates, despite being based on Android 7. I have now also confirmed that The Google Nexus 6 also works fine on LineageOS Android 7, but not on 8 or 9, same exact issue.

It’s not just Android, iOS too. Likely some underlying driver issue in the phone inomlativoe with some recent Bluetooth sidtware changes on Tesla’s side.

I’m hoping it wasn’t an intentional security related change they won’t undo/fix but instead an actual bug they will fix.

Thanks. Can you confirm that you hear popping noises and then silence for BT audio connections? The majority of iOS devices are currently working fine over BT audio with latest Tesla firmware as far as I know.