Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMS-029 - Tesla Must Do Better

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am an early adopter of Tesla. I bought my Model S in Feb of 2015, laying out close to 90k for a car – which is something I would have never dreamed of doing previously. But I believed in the mission, I believed in the car – so I traded in my Kia Optima and subjected myself to this grand experiment. This was the days where the masses really didn’t know what Tesla was – I would get stopped in parking lots and get strange looks on the road – and I gave makeshift mini-presentations about how this was the future of transportation.

Fast forward 8 years and 3 months later…. After Supercharging I received an error on my screen that said “maximum battery charge level reduced” and gave the code BMS_029. After 8 years and 85k miles of very happy ownership – dealing with the usual door handle replacements, window regulator breaks, new MCU, new front dash screen etc – I now realized I was faced with something much more serious.

I planned on keeping my car indefinitely. I love the car. I have never loved a car, but I do love this car.

3 months after my battery warranty expired, I have this error that is going to limit me to about 35% charge, and from everything I read online it is basically a battery death sentence. The Tesla equivalent of the “blue screen of death”. I went to the Tesla Service App, and explained the error and a screenshot – and got back a 15k estimate. No phone call, no options, no offer of repair, no diagnostics - just give us 15k and we will fix it.

Thank goodness for the online community. I found a Facebook group dedicated to this, and lots of help at Teslamotorsclub. I am not an engineer. I am simply a normal consumer. I feel like that needs to be said because if not for the amateur Tesla engineers out there, and aftermarket technicians – I feel like there would be zero information about this because Tesla isn’t talking or explaining. They simply text you back an estimate in an app, with one option – pay us or your car is dead – bricked.

So after doing lots of reading online – and talking to several experts – these are the options:
  • Error removal through software. There are people out there who will (for about $500), simply remove the error so that you can go back to where you were the day before this dreaded error showed up.
  • Pay anywhere from 8k to 9.5K to ReCell or another 3rd party for a remanufactured battery. You will get a battery pack from a car that they previously replaced, and remanufactured for you. Your battery will then be remanufactured and sold to someone else. You will get a battery pack that is dated anywhere from 2012 to 2015 and a 2 year 25k warranty.
  • Pay Tesla about 15k for exactly what ReCell does, but get a 4 year 50k warranty.
  • Buy a brand new 90KWH battery from Tesla for about 19k, and get a 4 year 50k warranty.
Option 1 seems like the absolute worst option. It seems like this is widely advised against, as this simply removes the error but doesn’t fix the root cause – which could be catastrophic. This part seems obvious. But hiding under the surface is a very big problem for Tesla – and for Tesla owners – the resale market can never be trusted. When I got this error – overnight – my resale value went from 30k to 10k. If I can remove this error, it goes back up to 30k. So it is obvious that there will be lots of unsuspecting buyers who end up with a car that is going to get the error again – or a potential big problem with the battery – either from a dealer who buys it for 10k and removes the error and sells for 30k, or an individual. This seems like a PR disaster for Tesla – and a horrible situation for consumers. It has already happened multiple times.

Option 2 and 3 are very similar – really just warranty differences. But in the end, if you can get a brand new battery for 4k more, and you plan on keeping the car for a long time, ReCell and Tesla need to do a better job of educating the average consumer (like me) that a reman battery with 8-10 year old cells has a value proposition vs a brand new battery. I fully support ReCell and their mission, because they are doing what Tesla does and beating them on price – and for the right person – it is a great option.

I chose option 4. I hate that I am laying out 19k to basically get back to where I was before the error. But at the same time – with the limited information I have – especially from Tesla – and very limited options – it is the best decision for me. My car is at Tesla right now sitting waiting for the work to be done.

Tesla needs to do a much better job addressing this, and develop a program that has better education and options. Are they trying to get the early cars off the road? Are they trying to get the unlimited supercharging cars off the road? They are getting my battery as part of the 19k repair – and they will remanufacture that and sell it to someone else for 15k. How much work and cost goes in to the remanufacturing? What if it is a circuit board or a few cells or even a module on my battery – that costs them close to nothing in comparison to the 15k they will flip it for – is that fair that I pay 19k on a car that is only worth 30k, and they ALSO get my battery?

Tin foil hat time…. I don’t necessarily believe any of the following to be true – but as Elon likes to say on Twitter – “I am just asking the questions”. What if there was a company that could press a button and send an error to a car fresh out of warranty, and essentially brick it knowing that they then would charge between 15k and 19k to replace it, and in return get a battery that they will sell to the next person they send the error to?

It seems a lot of cars are getting this error just after 8 years. Tesla – isn’t it in your best interest to be more transparent about issues, education, and options? Do you not care that the people this is happening to are the same people who in part built the company to what it is today? I have probably sold 20 people over the years on buying cars, and I have bought a MY. I am not suggesting Tesla owes us anything – but it just seems like a smart business decision to better handle this.

There are lawsuits already out there. Who knows. One persons opinion… This experience has seriously diminished my faith and experience in Tesla. I am biting the bullet – spending 19k on a car that will only be worth 30k when done – but I will always wonder if the BMS_029 error was just a software glitch, a $50 circuit board, a real problem that just happened to occur at 8 years and 3 months – or something much more sinister.

Come on Tesla, you can and need to do better.

13931046016_3a0a212798_b.jpg

"2014 Tesla Model S" by harry_nl is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0.
Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

this might be my future, question
right before the warranty expires, with an alarm set in my life clock, test battery life and argue to replace that battery at that point?
has anyone been successful doing this? the key is to not miss the date

for my old ICE vehicles, I typically brought them in for a deep diagnostics review to uncover anything right before the warranty expired
most of the time I was successful

absolutely, all the details, technical spec, FAQ can be found here:

and our backlog is short, 1-2 weeks out. because we have packs in inventory ready to go, we can swap out a pack same day/next day.
I'm curious if you are repairing batteries exchanged that come in with the BMS-029 error, and if so what are the high-level root causes of the issue?

Reactions: GSP and Oil Freedom
But is it really dumb? When it's all resolved, I have to have a car to drive. My transportation either cost me $19k (new battery) and end up with a Model S... or roughly $19k (new car) to end up with a Nissan Versa (or equivalent). In the end, I end up with a car and X dollars left in the bank, so on purely a financial basis it's the same for new battery vs new car. If having a decent car on a budget is the goal, then the new battery seems like a clear winner. If it's all about the $X left in the bank, then a used Nissan Leaf 😣 is clearly the winner. If it's all about a cool car, I'll look at Lucid or something.
For me, I'll opt for the new battery and drive a Model S. I just wonder if my logic is off.
+ Free Super Charging (if the OP has that) changes the equation a bit (depending on driving habits). If my 70D could be made a 90D and charge reasonably close to the same speeds as my LR MY....I'd be in a pickle.
I'm curious if you are repairing batteries exchanged that come in with the BMS-029 error, and if so what are the high-level root causes of the issue?
See post #35 by @Recell in this thread which explains it.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: GSP and SoCal Buzz
The battery designs have changed over time...

So, I wonder if this mostly an issue with earlier Model Ss (and their battery system), or if it's now being seen in Model Xs and Model 3s that have also aged off their warranty.
It’s unclear but earlier model batteries did have moisture intrusion and HVAC drain design issues. Overall if you read post #35 in the @Recell link above, it seems like some problems are just individual cells that age less gracefully than others and fail (rapid discharge at rest, etc.).

• Error removal through software. There are people out there who will (for about $500), simply remove the error so that you can go back to where you were the day before this dreaded error showed up.
  • Pay anywhere from 8k to 9.5K to ReCell or another 3rd party for a remanufactured battery. You will get a battery pack from a car that they previously replaced, and remanufactured for you. Your battery will then be remanufactured and sold to someone else. You will get a battery pack that is dated anywhere from 2012 to 2015 and a 2 year 25k warranty.
  • Pay Tesla about 15k for exactly what ReCell does, but get a 4 year 50k warranty.
  • Buy a brand new 90KWH battery from Tesla for about 19k, and get a 4 year 50k warranty.

As you say the first option isn't viable, and can end very badly, and has recently been reported on Twitter.

They are getting my battery as part of the 19k repair – and they will remanufacture that and sell it to someone else for 15k. How much work and cost goes in to the remanufacturing? What if it is a circuit board or a few cells or even a module on my battery – that costs them close to nothing in comparison to the 15k they will flip it for – is that fair that I pay 19k on a car that is only worth 30k, and they ALSO get my battery?
You can keep the old pack if you want to. (Last I heard Tesla charged something like $15k as a core charge if you kept the old pack.)

If the failure is a bad cell, or module, Tesla can't remanufacture it and just sends the entire pack to be recycled back into the base materials to make new cells. (You can't replace a bad cell, or module, and have the pack continue to function properly.) If it is just a bad circuit board or a few other minor things they can normally remanufacture the pack and then resell it.

How much of a core charge would @Recell or @wk057 charge if you kept your old pack? (Or will they even offer their service if you don't provide a core?)

• Informative
Reactions: NV Ray
There's a lawsuit around this (batteries "failing" due to firmware pushes with evidence of antics being that if you revert to older firmware versions the battery keeps working as though it's in good shape, for basically forever), if memory serves me. Running a scam like you described is likely to end up with enough nuggets left in internal communications / things found with discovery that it'd be ... bad. Keep in mind that some VW execs have gone to jail for antics like that.
I'm not aware of any credible evidence that the battery will keep running "basically forever" on an older firmware. @wk057 has said that the older firmware detects the problem later than the newer firmware, and it just disabled the pack 100% so you can't charge or move the car in its own power at all. The newer firmware detects the issue earlier and limits the maximum charge state. (Which makes it easier/cheaper for you to get it serviced.)

If this was actually a scam, Tesla must be really good at it. Because not only are all of their service staff in on it, they have gotten @Recell and @wk057 to play along and pretend that the issue is real, and can't be fixed with less than a full pack replacement as well. o_O

So I'm going with the timing is just coincidence, and the errors are reporting actual failures.

FYI: JB mentioned in one of his talks that the cells in the early packs were lasting much longer than they anticipated, but other things that they didn't think would be a problem ended up being the majority of the failures. With the root causes being things like vibration and water intrusion. (So it is likely that they had expected most packs to be replaced at least once under the 8-year warranty, but they ended up lasting better than they thought they would.)

To OP or any others: What do you legitimately expect Tesla to “do better” in this case?

By all accounts they appear to have come up with a way to identify safety related cell/module failures and provide a way for the car to remain mobile and safe until you decide what you want to do.

They provide multiple options for first party battery replacement out of warranty if that’s what you want, with a relatively generous 4 year/50k warranty, at price points that have come down significantly over time.

They have, to my knowledge, honored every 029/018 failure under the terms of the very generous battery warranty we all agreed to when buying the car.

Several third party options exist for replacement if you prefer that route.

Other than “extend the warranty via whatever arbitrary terms would be required to cover MY battery’s failure because I’m an early adopter and financed the company through my generosity and good will”, what do you legitimately expect they need to be doing better?

Serious question.

You have exactly one option: Replace the battery.

All of the other things are kicking the can down the road with vary levels of safety - most of which bypass any safety Tesla has built into the car and could put you, your family, and your home directly in harm's way.

Essentially, consider the battery failed.

What you choose to replace it is up to you -- but it's done.

All the kerfuffle around firmware updates and such are noise. The firmware updates detect failures which earlier firmware did not. That's a safety improvement, and something which I personally would not mess with.

Consider it as a smoke alarm which has been improved to detect more types of smoke. You wouldn't ignore that alarm and say "oh, the old detector didn't notice it, so we'll just put it back", would you?
not agree at all....

...sorry but for me this is a pure scam here... i'm not a tesla fan anymore because of this. my battery was in defaut (not a 029 error) but after what tesla propose (11500 euros for a reman) i decised to repeir if my self (and i'm just an average guy) this cost me..... 60 euros just for repairing one BMB. and since that the car is just fine after 3000miles thank you....

In worst case scenario for a 029 and for your safety, you have to change one module at 800 euros....
i'm agree that tesla charge you, - let's say 4000 euros US dollar for this .....but 11 500 or 15 0000 .... sorry but this is a scam....

To OP or any others: What do you legitimately expect Tesla to “do better” in this case?

By all accounts they appear to have come up with a way to identify safety related cell/module failures and provide a way for the car to remain mobile and safe until you decide what you want to do.

They provide multiple options for first party battery replacement out of warranty if that’s what you want, with a relatively generous 4 year/50k warranty, at price points that have come down significantly over time.

They have, to my knowledge, honored every 029/018 failure under the terms of the very generous battery warranty we all agreed to when buying the car.

Other than “extend the warranty via whatever arbitrary terms would be required to cover MY battery’s failure because I’m an early adopter and financed the company through my generosity and good will”, what do you legitimately expect they need to be doing better?

Serious question.
Good question. IMO, an extended warranty (insurance) is needed to cover owners unlucky enough to have a premature pack failure due to water intrusion or bad cell(s) that soft short. The OP, @JVL , also suggested this in post #13.

What about an extended warranty program for the battery? Pay $X per year after the 8 years, and get a reman battery as needed. It spreads the cost out over many people and many year (premise of insurance).

GSP

Reactions: Galve2000

Serious question.

Here are some suggestions:

1. Address the issue. Have a uniform education and options process so that people who encounter this are not presented misinformation about options and what is happening, so that when you get this error and you are not a forum person - or want to do endless research - you understand that your car has basically just been totaled and you have a major decision to make.

2. Some kind of diagnosis. How about this.... If you replace a battery, your battery that you give Tesla is reported back to you as to what went wrong and the cost of the fix (even with a Tesla markup). Even if it is a month later. So something like.... I go in and pay 19k for a new battery, Tesla gets my old battery. A month later they tell me that it was a $50 circuit board, and I get a reasonable credit somewhere between the cost of the repair and the 15k they will get for selling it. If it is a catastrophic failure, I get no money but I do get a report.

Here's the thing you may be missing... As a Tesla original owner who has always evangelized and loved Tesla - I will always wonder if Tesla ripped me off. I will always wonder if my battery was a $50 fix, or a 15k fix. I will never know the truth. Is that in Tesla's best interest? What other repair on a car do you hand over a fixed amount of $, without knowing what is actually wrong with your car? I think this would be a pretty easy program to implement that would solve a lot of these problems - both for image and money.

3. Some kind of extended warranty program. Let battery owners that are out of warranty pool the risk. Charge what you need to. But make it an option.

4. Reasonable trade in rates for cars with this error. This might be the most important of all options. Without reasonable trade in offers - Tesla and unsuspecting buyers are going to continue to create terrible situations for people who simply buy the cars at a discount, clear the error, and resell at a big profit. Tesla could stop this. Right now - I HAVE NO LEGITIMATE OPTIONS TO SELL MY CAR WITH THE ERROR.

Just some thoughts off of one persons head. I am sure there are more, but a serious attempt to answer your serious question.

not agree at all....

...sorry but for me this is a pure scam here... i'm not a tesla fan anymore because of this. my battery was in defaut (not a 029 error) but after what tesla propose (11500 euros for a reman) i decised to repeir if my self (and i'm just an average guy) this cost me..... 60 euros just for repairing one BMB. and since that the car is just fine after 3000miles thank you....

In worst case scenario for a 029 and for your safety, you have to change one module at 800 euros....
i'm agree that tesla charge you, - let's say 4000 euros US dollar for this .....but 11 500 or 15 0000 .... sorry but this is a scam....

There are instances where the battery failure is due to a component failure. In those cases a cheap repair like yours will resolve the issue.

But if not, @wk057 has pointed out that the way the Tesla BMS works replacing a single module isn't a durable fix, so unless you have a battery repair place very convenient to you, you're probably better off biting the bullet and either replacing the battery, or simply getting a new car.

With market growth battery repair will become the more common option, as is happening already in many European countries.

Battery replacement from the original manufacturer has been the expensive option since hybrid days.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Good question. IMO, an extended warranty (insurance) is needed to cover owners unlucky enough to have a premature pack failure due to water intrusion or bad cell(s) that soft short. The OP, @JVL , also suggested this in post #13.

What about an extended warranty program for the battery? Pay $X per year after the 8 years, and get a reman battery as needed. It spreads the cost out over many people and many year (premise of insurance).
There is currently one third-party battery warranty available, via @wk057's company. And @X-Care EV is supposed to have a battery warranty available soon. So there are options available for people if they want one.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
2. Some kind of diagnosis. How about this.... If you replace a battery, your battery that you give Tesla is reported back to you as to what went wrong and the cost of the fix (even with a Tesla markup). Even if it is a month later. So something like.... I go in and pay 19k for a new battery, Tesla gets my old battery. A month later they tell me that it was a $50 circuit board, and I get a reasonable credit somewhere between the cost of the repair and the 15k they will get for selling it. If it is a catastrophic failure, I get no money but I do get a report.

If they did that, and sent you a large refund after a $50 part repair, what do you think should happen if days later that pack fails with a bad cell/module and Tesla has to recycle that pack and provide a new remanufactured one? Would you send your refund back to them? (Of course while the actual failed part might only cost $50, the repair costs way more than that by the time you open the pack, replace the lid, seal it up, test, it and everything.)

tl;dr: Never going to happen.

Here's the thing you may be missing... As a Tesla original owner who has always evangelized and loved Tesla - I will always wonder if Tesla ripped me off. I will always wonder if my battery was a $50 fix, or a 15k fix. I will never know the truth.

They did not rip you off.

Reactions: SO16 and Big Earl
i decised to repeir if my self (and i'm just an average guy) this cost me..... 60 euros just for repairing one BMB.
A great option for people like you who are apparently magic and can remove, disassemble, diagnose, repair, test, reassemble, and reinstall the HV battery in a car for only the cost of a failed component.

For anyone else in the world - including Tesla - this feat takes many many hours and labor isn’t free, even in France.

If they did that, and sent you a large refund after a $50 part repair, what do you think should happen if days later that pack fails with a bad cell/module and Tesla has to recycle that pack and provide a new remanufactured one? Would you send your refund back to them? (Of course while the actual failed part might only cost $50, the repair costs way more than that by the time you open the pack, replace the lid, seal it up, test, it and everything.)

tl;dr: Never going to happen.

They did not rip you off.
OK. Thats great. Glad to hear that.

But you are cherry picking my overall post. You asked what they could do, and addressed one line of one option. What about the tidal wave of issues with Tesla not offering fair trade in values for these cars? Could that not be considered ripping me off? If I sold my car to Tesla for 10k, as their trade in offer, because that is MY ONLY OPTION - is that not ripping me off?

Serious question.

Reactions: jschimel
You asked what they could do
No, I didn't.

What about the tidal wave of issues with Tesla not offering fair trade in values for these cars? Could that not be considered ripping me off? If I sold my car to Tesla for 10k, as their trade in offer, because that is MY ONLY OPTION - is that not ripping me off?

How much do you think would have been a fair value for your car, out of warranty, with a failed pack? And what are you basing that value on? Comps?

No, it isn't ripping you off. And no it wasn't your only option. You could have offered it for sale as-is. Other people have done so and sold their vehicle. For example, @wk057 buys vehicles with failed packs.

How much was your car worth with a working before the failure? You said $30k. So with a failed pack that costs ~$15-20k to replace you think it is worth much more than $10k? (Valuations like that are normal even for ICE vehicles when a major part fails. You could often get way more for the vehicle parting it out than you can selling it while it is broken.)

Reactions: gt2690b
No, I didn't.

How much do you think would have been a fair value for your car, out of warranty, with a failed pack? And what are you basing that value on? Comps?

No, it isn't ripping you off. And no it wasn't your only option. You could have offered it for sale as-is. Other people have done so and sold their vehicle. For example, @wk057 buys vehicles with failed packs.

How much was your car worth with a working before the failure? You said $30k. So with a failed pack that costs ~$15-20k to replace you think it is worth much more than $10k? (Valuations like that are normal even for ICE vehicles when a major part fails. You could often get way more for the vehicle parting it out than you can selling it while it is broken.)
Sorry about that. I confused you with the poster above who did ask. I see now it wasn't you.

That is a very good question. I am not sure what it is worth. But I would assume it is worth more to Tesla than anyone else. And I think in every case any car in this situation should be worth more to Tesla than anyone else. For 2 reasons:

1. They have advantages in repair and or replacement costs that nobody else has. They should be able to offer more than anyone else, not less.

2. Tesla can avoid huge issues with the "flip" issue where the buyer simply turns off the error, and ends in a very upset new customer. I think this - from a corporate image standpoint - is a very big one.

So it would seem to me that Tesla has a monetary and a PR advantage to getting these cars in their own hands. Lets not forget - they can remove free supercharging from the resale also - which nobody else can do.

It really does concern me that the best financial option for someone in the situation that I am in is to take the shady option, remove the error, and overnight make 20k more in resale than doing the right thing. I just see that as an issue. And I would think this is an issue for Tesla also. No winners with this.