Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's one ugly car. I normally love BMW styling. Not even close on the i3.

The design seems to be either love/hate. The most interesting part in my view is the use of carbon technology at mass-market prices, the design can change.

If the i3 and the i8 succeed in the market, we will see a whole line of i vehicles from BMW. I also hope the Mini will get an EV version soon, it was already hinted at by BMW (similar to the former Mini E trial). With a Mini EV, an i3 and an i5 BMW could soon have a full range of EVs.

PS: BMW is also testing a 3-series PHEV in the "usual" design:

Scoop: New BMW 3-Series Comes Out of the Plug-in Hybrid Closet - Carscoops

Last edited:
I read the original article and it states that only 70 BMW i3 can be built at the moment per day (carbon supply bottleneck), however they intend that solve soon with additional investments in the carbon supply chain.

Other take-aways from the article:

- The BMW i5 final greenlight depends on i3 demand in the US and other important EV markets. If this car gets a "go" from Munich, the larger BMW i5 is expected by 2017.

- The 11k fix orders (as of late January 2014) are almost only from within Europe. This number does look very encouraging to BMW management since many countries (USA etc.) are only coming later.

- The original sales targets for the i3 were 30'000 for 2014 and 50'000 for 2015. This can't be achieved for 2014 due to the carbon supply issues.

- The production issues weren't unexpected. BMW management on purpose chose the current smaller series (i3 and i8, soon the 7 series) to work out initial kinks before they ramp up carbon production for more car models.
Thank you for the summary. Yes, agreed, the current run rate is reportedly 70 per day, 1,400 per month and 17,000 per year.

It will be interesting to see how the US market will respond, given the controversial exterior styling and limited availability (2,000 to 3,000 cars is the first year). East Bay BMW apparently had to stop advertising their test drive event, they were completely overrun this weekend.

Here is another Model S versus i3 comparison. I know what you are thinking, but this one is pretty thoughtful.

image.jpg
bmwi3mnl.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a Model S owner and while the i3 is certainly not a Tesla competitor right now it likely will be in the near future if BMW produces a larger EV with a larger battery, and I bet they will.

I'm trying to understand how the i3 is charged at home. At 360 Electric - Home Charging - BMW North America
it says, quote:

"Using this charging station, the BMW i3 can be charged in approximately 3 hours (7kW at 240v). You can also use the Occasional Use Cable, provided with each BMW i vehicle, to top off your battery by plugging into any 120-volt dedicated outlet. "

It sounds like you need to buy the dedicated i3 charger for 240V charging, and that you cannot just plug the car into a 240V outlet like you can a Model S. That surprises me. And that website text gives the impression that you can't charge the car using 110/120V, that would just be to "top off" the battery. Which doesn't make sense. Maybe it reads that way to try to make people believe that the dedicated BMW charger is required so they can sell more even though in reality it is not required. Surely a small battery like in the i3 can be fully charged overnight on 120V?

It sounds like you need to buy the dedicated i3 charger for 240V charging, and that you cannot just plug the car into a 240V outlet like you can a Model S. That surprises me. And that website text gives the impression that you can't charge the car using 110/120V, that would just be to "top off" the battery. Which doesn't make sense. Maybe it reads that way to try to make people believe that the dedicated BMW charger is required so they can sell more even though in reality it is not required. Surely a small battery like in the i3 can be fully charged overnight on 120V?

I agree. I think BMW is just being cautious by pushing folks towards the dedicated charger just so that they don't wake up to too low an SoC when plugged into a 110. The same situation applies to other EVs such as the Leaf.

Tesla really designed their modular UMC + adapter(s) very well. I know there have been issues with overheating of some adapters but, the idea is very sound and offers much greater flexibility than a dedicated J1772 station.

i3_prop.jpg

The i3 has ‘scored’ a role on Halle Berry’s upcoming new sci-fi TV-series.

An astronaut (Berry) returns home from a year long solo mission in space. She tries to reconnect with her husband and son in their everyday life. Her experiences in space and home lead to events that ultimately will change the course of human history.

Source: Extant (TV Series 2014-) - Plot Summary - IMDb

Source: Halle Berry Films in LA - Pictures - Zimbio

Through: Spotted: Halle Berry In a BMW i3 | Celebrity Cars Blog

http://adacemobility.wordpress.com/...im-bmw-i3-das-ist-ein-gewaltiger-unterschied/

This is a german article comparing the batteries of the BMW i3 and the Model S.

BMW's battery is obviously a lot more advanced. According to their tests the Tesla's 18650 cell will suffer from depletion over time whereas the i3 cell should still work 20 years from now.

This has been bothering me for a while. And it was easy to discount since there was no data, but I just found out why this guy is telling such a bad story about Tesla's 18650 cell design and praising the BMW i3 batteries.

His company, BMZ has a competing technology. Reminds me of JP

http://www.electronics-eetimes.com/...duction-plant.html?cmp_id=7&news_id=222916261

But in reality, the warranty is only 100K miles or 8 years http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/i/i3/2013/showroom/drive.html