Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bolt EV EPA range = 238 miles combined!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the GM website for the Bolt the small print says ~ 9.5 hours to charge to full (presumably from empty) based on 240 V, 32 A.
That works out to over 58 kWh as

0.24*32*0.8*9.5

Either GM has more than 60 kWh nominal capacity or they are giving customers the ability to really strain the battery. Gotta try and match the Tesla without superchargers, right ?

Bolt was designed for city driving but GM marketing want's you to believe it's an all around car... 238 is a combined range (city/highway). Bolt's Highway range is a lot less and is actually below (minimum) 215 miles of Model 3.

Actually, based off the MPGe numbers, the Bolt's highway range is 220 miles: (110 MPGe highway / 119 MPGe overall) * 238 overall range = 220 miles.

Last time I checked, 220 >>> 215.

Equivalent EPA city range would be 256 miles

• Informative
Reactions: Zoomit
Yeah, just like Tesla could have been optimizing profits and compromised safety in pushing out "Autopilot". After all, Elon himself said the latest Autopilot software changes would have likely prevented the death of Joshua Brown. Perhaps if Tesla had waited until more testing had been done, they could have released Autopilot at a later date with the newest software in place.

See how easy the tables can be turned?

You really want to go down this slippery FUD road? Get a grip.
LOL "Get a grip" more like as stated when using AP keep a Grip if he would have done that in the 1st place there would not have been an unfortunate death.

• Disagree
Reactions: PAULL and bro1999
Actually, based off the MPGe numbers, the Bolt's highway range is 220 miles: (110 MPGe highway / 119 MPGe overall) * 238 overall range = 220 miles.

Last time I checked, 220 >>> 215.

Equivalent EPA city range would be 256 miles

Yes, GM 'neglected' to give out all of the EPA numbers because highway range is much lower - I read highway range is 214. Btw, Tesla announced that Model 3 will have minimum range of 215.

This is the way I look at it:

- Base Bolt at 37.5k with 238 miles of range
- Model 3 at 38k with 215 miles of range, supercharger access, autopilot

Is 23 miles of range worth not getting access to supercharger network and autopilot?

No sir, it is not.

You have not got the point

BOLT is only 164inch long!!!!!!!!

Which is only 2inch longer than TOYOTA YARIS

Who will spend 37.5K to buy base yaris even without long distance ability!!!!!!!!!

Try again, using the EPA calc of 55% city and 45% highway.

Or just keep reading until you get that 214 highway EPA range number reported over and over again. And remember to drive slow if you get the car.

• Funny
Reactions: callmesam
Number 1 reason the bolt will fail is lack of a real fast-charing network. It might have 238 miles of range, but cut that number in half if you want to get home, in optimal weather. A Tesla can charge fast and keep going. In my area (east coast) dc chargers are rare and most seem to be out of operation. Other DC chargers and most L2 chargers are at dealerships, sometimes behind locked gates if after dealership hours. It's a shame. They need to just pay tesla to use their network. It would cost a 3rd party too much to expand a nationwide network the way Tesla did.
By what definition will the Bolt be a failure?

It gets better range than all other non-Tesla BEV's. I have no doubt they will be able to move as many as they can make for the first couple of years. There really is a low bar for success here so I don't see how it can be a failure. There is going to be a massive upgrade cycle for early mainstream BEV adopters and I am sure many will chose the Bolt.

• Disagree
Reactions: drinkerofkoolaid
Try again, using the EPA calc of 55% city and 45% highway.

Or just keep reading until you get that 214 highway EPA range number reported over and over again. And remember to drive slow if you get the car.
220....214, regardless, it's way higher than any of you Tesla zealots predicted. Some of you guys even said the Bolt may not get 150 miles highway range. Lol

220....214, regardless, it's way higher than any of you Tesla zealots predicted. Some of you guys even said the Bolt may not get 150 miles highway range. Lol

That was a reasonable prediction based on what most expected the EPA combined figures to come to. People didn't expect 150 miles EPA...but 150 miles in how everyone drives on the interstate.

Reactions: callmesam
For a forum seemingly interesting in success of BEVs (granted, not every member is interested in that) there's plenty of bashing going around when someone publishes IMO a reasonable BEV.

Is the Bolt for everyone? Of course not - there isn't a car in the world that would be suitable for everyone.
Is the CCS charging network lacking today? Seems to be - doesn't mean it won't get better.
Do I think ~240 miles is enough? No, I've stated before that I believe 300 miles (preferable real but at least EPA) to be the magic number - doesn't mean that this isn't good news for moving the world towards BEVs.

Off topic, but has ANYONE received a base, barebones, 5 seat Model X yet? We're approaching 1 year since the first Model X was delivered.

Those of you planning on getting an actual 35k (36.2k after adding the $1,200 Tesla delivery fee) base Model 3 are probably looking at late 2018 at the earliest...more like 2019 for anyone not on the west coast.

The point is that most people aren't ordering a bare bones version, here or anywhere else. That's why this comparison is silly. Most people purchasing the M3 will opt for a battery that attains near 300 miles.

That's not really a strike against the M3, but an indication of the M3 demographic.