Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bolt EV EPA range = 238 miles combined!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, GM hasn't updated their charging stats since January so the 90 miles in 30 minutes is presumably based on a "200 mile" range rather than 238.

Why would that matter? It's not a percentage in an amount of time...it's amount of miles during a time period. On top of that the wording is "GM estimates" of "up to" 90 miles, in "about" 30 min....whatever the heck that means.

Why would that matter? It's not a percentage in an amount of time...it's amount of miles during a time period. On top of that the wording is "GM estimates" of "up to" 90 miles, in "about" 30 min....whatever the heck that means.
I think the % in an amount of time can matter, because it changes when charging rates begin to be tapered off. And even if it isn't, it might be referring to a specific amount of kWh that will be accepted. If the range increase was partially due to efficiency gains and the amount charged in that time is the same, you'll get more "mileage" out of it.

I don't know, the Bolt now beats range on the 60S, 60X, and even the 75X (albeit by one mile). And that's with Tesla having a much more efficient design...heck, if Chevy had tried to make the Bolt more aerodynamic they could be talking about 260 miles of range!

I just don't see how Tesla launches the Model 3 with, say, 240 miles of range which beats other cars in their lineup costing twice as much. I get that it's a smaller car so if you need more space a buyer would gravitate to the S or X, but the cost increasing by a factor of two is a daunting sales challenge.

The saving grace? The supercharger network. I think GM missed the boat on that one.

The model S is a different animal than the model 3; it is larger and more luxurious. Will see what happens with the range announcement of the bolt. I know the model 3 has more to offer than the Bolt but many people will second guess their decision to buy the model 3 if the range gap is too big IMO.

As a long time tesla owner, and CHAdeMO user, it stinks to be dependent on any charger that is a solo or dual system, especially in the middle of nowhere on a road trip. Especially, if the owner of the charger does not have 24/7 maintenance team. The redundancy of the supercharger system is game changing.

Yup. I've had mixed success using Chaedmo in my LEAF. It is slow and you are dependent on a single charger pair. I have arrived to a completely dead charger before. Not good. It lacks the redundancy of a SpC.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
If the Bolt gets 238 EPA miles, good for them! I do want GM to get in the mix with a competitive car..............but this ain't it!
Choice: Model 3 or Bolt, lets say same price , which one do you buy? Easy answer.
And if a driver wants to go 500 miles in one day, how fast/slow does the Bolt charge?
Granted I am a Tesla fan but I am rooting for GM as well. They really must up their game if they want a true Model 3 competitor.
IMHO GM has a loooong way to go

The model S is a different animal than the model 3; it is larger and more luxurious. Will see what happens with the range announcement of the bolt. I know the model 3 has more to offer than the Bolt but many people will second guess their decision to buy the model 3 if the range gap is too big IMO.

Bolt has less highway range than Model 3 therefore there's no need to worry.

Most of the Volt test route was not freeway driving. And it sounds like they took Highway 154 into Santa Barbara instead of the south coast stretch of 101 which can be very windy at times (mostly cross winds though). I'm not yet convinced that the Bolt's real-world highway range is 238 miles.

The real world highway range most certainly isn't 238 miles. That's the EPA combined number.

• Helpful
Reactions: Zoomit
This is the way I look at it:

- Base Bolt at 37.5k with 238 miles of range
- Model 3 at 38k with 215 miles of range, supercharger access, autopilot

Is 23 miles of range worth not getting access to supercharger network and autopilot?

No sir, it is not.

Reactions: SureValla
From a North America perspective: Bolt range, 238 miles. Model 3 range, 95% of North America, and lower Canada. :)

I do love that Chevy is making an effort though. Maybe in time they will buy in to help expand and use the Supercharger network.
Not actually true. There's no CCS or Tesla Supercharger for any province outside of BC, AB, ON, and QC. No fast charging network, no road trips. The nearest CCS charging station is even further away from me than the nearest Supercharger. Even if there were CCS chargers in this province, with the 50KW chargers I'd be spending way too much time charging as opposed to driving.

No fast charging, no road trips. No trips, I'm not buying the car. That goes for the Model 3 as well.

Last edited:
They don't only perform the city and highway tests on new cars... they do all five cycles.
Detailed Test Information
max speed is 80mph

Max speed is 80mph, but there's a low overall high-speed percentage even on the supposed high speed test. It really doesn't tell you about Interstate cruising. It's better suited to the commuter grind, I expect.

The EPA details the second-by-second speed in the tests. You can get it on the web somewhere.

Last edited:
Number 1 reason the bolt will fail is lack of a real fast-charing network. It might have 238 miles of range, but cut that number in half if you want to get home, in optimal weather. A Tesla can charge fast and keep going. In my area (east coast) dc chargers are rare and most seem to be out of operation. Other DC chargers and most L2 chargers are at dealerships, sometimes behind locked gates if after dealership hours. It's a shame. They need to just pay tesla to use their network. It would cost a 3rd party too much to expand a nationwide network the way Tesla did.

The Bulls and Shorts are having a field day with this number. TSLA down $3.61/share as I type this (but to be fair, the market as a whole is off today). (Even GM)

So will Elon drop a number today after the markets close?

Or does he just sit and wait until Reveal 2.0?

This is the way I look at it:

- Base Bolt at 37.5k with 238 miles of range
- Model 3 at 38k with 215 miles of range, supercharger access, autopilot

Is 23 miles of range worth not getting access to supercharger network and autopilot?

No sir, it is not.

Bolt was designed for city driving but GM marketing want's you to believe it's an all around car... 238 is a combined range (city/highway). Bolt's Highway range is a lot less and is actually below (minimum) 215 miles of Model 3.

Reactions: SageBrush