Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boombox in Aus?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I logged a service request for my 2020 model 3 and got it installed today by Tesla for $263.
I have had mine booked in for a while for around the middle of June at Chatswood (Sydney northern suburbs) - they are either busy or no parts available until then, dunno. Cost for me (2021 Model 3) is $290, so I guess I am being charged the usual additional “location tax”…

In my experience, yes. They outlined what it will and will not come with.
They also made it VERY clear, several times, that I will not be able to disable the reverse sounds, and that there will be no forward slow speed sound emitted as this is retrofit.
I have a 2023 M3 RWD. It does not make a noise going forward. The Tesla rep on delivery told me that Australian models only make it in reverse as forward low speed warning is not required in Australia.

While I think a noise in reverse is probably necessary, I hate it. I'm glad there's no forward noise as we spend a lot more time stopped and moving slowly in drive than we do in reverse.

• Informative
Reactions: Sir Surfalot
I have a 2023 M3 RWD. It does not make a noise going forward. The Tesla rep on delivery told me that Australian models only make it in reverse as forward low speed warning is not required in Australia.

While I think a noise in reverse is probably necessary, I hate it. I'm glad there's no forward noise as we spend a lot more time stopped and moving slowly in drive than we do in reverse.
But a reverse speed warning isn't required in Australia either ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
So not really a reason to have one enabled and not the other.

Well there ya go - I guess Australian Tesla's are now being delivered with boombox!

Would be nice if a (cheap) retrofit was available.
Now showing as available as a service installed option in AU for $290

Model 3/Y Pedestrian Warning Speaker​

Compatible with all Shanghai built Model 3/Y vehicles as well as certain Fremont built Model 3 vehicles manufactured between July 5th 2019 through September 9th 2020

Reactions: jcan
I'm glad there's no forward noise
Sorry to disillusion you, but the retrofit DOES have a forward noise. It is quite quiet (increasing slightly with speed up to ~20kph), and you cannot hear it from the inside, particularly if the windows are closed.
The reversing (spaceship) noise is louder, i.e. you can hear it from inside. However, it doesn't seem too bad.
I had mine fitted yesterday, and I don't find it to be annoying at all. YMMV.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Sorry to disillusion you, but the retrofit DOES have a forward noise. It is quite quiet (increasing slightly with speed up to ~20kph), and you cannot hear it from the inside,
I have posted before on this matter - a Tesla technician told me specifically that the Oz version of Boombox does not have the software to enable a sound when driving forward. Because of his warning (given standing next to my car) I cancelled the Boombox installation.

Your statement that the noise is quiet at low speeds and increases as speed nears 20kmh is, in my view, the opposite of what is actually needed for effective pedestrian warning. I would prefer the pedestrian heard my car at 5kmh rather than at the higher speed.

a Tesla technician told me specifically that the Oz version of Boombox does not have the software to enable a sound when driving forward.
Yes, I had read your earlier post, and had decided not to proceed with the installation. However actually hearing the noises made by the PWS on the YouTube video made in Sydney by Not in the Manual ( See: Tesla Model 3/Y Pedestrian Warning System & Boombox - YouTube ), I went ahead with it. Glad I did. It might not be a requirement yet, but (I think) it's only a matter of time.
I just wish the authorities would consider this also for many of the ICE cars that are also super-quiet at low speeds, not just EVs.
I would prefer the pedestrian heard my car at 5kmh
You can hear it fine, if you are outside. Just not from the inside.

I just wish the authorities would consider this also for many of the ICE cars that are also super-quiet at low speeds, not just EVs.
OK, so it seems that we have a mixed bag - some 2023 cars have Boombox, others don’t. Some earlier cars with a retrofit have a forward PWS noise, others don’t.

I will await official notice from Tesla to inform its customers of their actual intention with ts Boombox and forward PWS. As everyone knows that could be a long time coming, if ever.

What I do know without a doubt is that I dodged a bullet when I cancelled the Boombox installation on my car. Both the forward and reverse warning noises demonstrated in the video are horrible.

I reverse out of my garage at 6am (4 mornings a week) onto a quiet suburban street. If my car made that noise on each occasion I reckon it would be no more than a week before a posse of neighbours wanted to have a quiet word with me near the largest tree in the local park.

A future shopping centre /office block underground car park would be hell on wheels at knock-off time with hundreds of BEVs, PHEVs and HEVs sounding their various warnings as they exited. Plus "quiet" ICE vehicles.

Rant over - back to enjoying the quietness of my model Y.

Reactions: OzVic
OK, so it seems that we have a mixed bag - some 2023 cars have Boombox, others don’t. Some earlier cars with a retrofit have a forward PWS noise, others don’t.

I will await official notice from Tesla to inform its customers of their actual intention with ts Boombox and forward PWS. As everyone knows that could be a long time coming, if ever.

What I do know without a doubt is that I dodged a bullet when I cancelled the Boombox installation on my car. Both the forward and reverse warning noises demonstrated in the video are horrible.

I reverse out of my garage at 6am (4 mornings a week) onto a quiet suburban street. If my car made that noise on each occasion I reckon it would be no more than a week before a posse of neighbours wanted to have a quiet word with me near the largest tree in the local park.

A future shopping centre /office block underground car park would be hell on wheels at knock-off time with hundreds of BEVs, PHEVs and HEVs sounding their various warnings as they exited. Plus "quiet" ICE vehicles.

Rant over - back to enjoying the quietness of my model Y.
my feelings exactly.. i had it on order to be retro fitted but cancelled when i found out i could turn it off.

You don't have to dream - just head overseas as Australia is basically the only country who hasn't yet mandated AVAS / PWS - and you'll see what it's really like ;-)

Many a hybrid has no engine noise at low speeds.

Wheels make a crunching sounds on the tarmac at low speeds. Pedestrians just need to tune in to different noises.

There aren't deaf people splattered all over the roads as far as I'm aware.

I also don't deliberately run pedestrians down that don't move out of the way or who jump out onto the road without looking.

But most importantly I can get home in the early morning without waking the neighbours or family. No stupid spaceship sound or warble screaming down the street at 1am.

Some suggestion that people just aren't hearing the noise in the retrofit - it's fairly inaudible inside.

Worst I've heard is an electric bus in Sydney - the fully Australian made Custom Denning Element which has a horrible bell as it's PWS.
What's worse is that it's highly audible throughout the bus cabin, making for a horrible journey.