Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a 100D with ventilated seats! I DID IT! WOOO WOOOOOOOO!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I truly appreciate JonMc checking in - truly, truly - @AVRnj it must be said the price list and the FUSC policy are simply business decisions Tesla made. Nothing to do with fair - or unfair for that matter - IMO, just a question of business.

They could have made other decisions, but they made these. For example, they could have said anyone with 90D not yet in production can change it to 100D and keep the order otherwise as is. The car is not yet built so the parts (ventilated seats, discontinued trim etc.) were still available for that customer's order.

But for reasons people are free to speculate on Tesla obviously made a different business decision. My guess is that Tesla would prefer to move more 90 kWhs in Q1 (existing stock? less delay for build?) than see 100 kWh order conversions.

Those customers who ordered by the deadline were in fact able to still upgrade to a 100D if they wanted, with no free unlimited super charging, for a change fee of $500 correct?

So if that is the case, why wouldn't they, and anyone who ended up ordering by the 15th be able to get free super charging on their 100D as long as their original order was placed by the 15th? To me, I am failing to see how this is a fair issue, unless I am missing something with the change ability.

While I'm not Jon I will give you the same answer everyone here has been giving you. Yes, they can change for just $500 extra, but they aren't changing their order; they are cancelling their order, placing a new order, and then having their deposit transferred to the new order instead of losing it. So the order is being placed after the cut-off.

While I'm not Jon I will give you the same answer everyone here has been giving you. Yes, they can change for just $500 extra, but they aren't changing their order; they are cancelling their order, placing a new order, and then having their deposit transferred. So the order is being placed after the cut-off.

Sure, but obviously Tesla could have implemented this in any other way they wanted. They did not want, that's their choice and prerogative of course.

Reactions: AVRnj
While I'm not Jon I will give you the same answer everyone here has been giving you. Yes, they can change for just $500 extra, but they aren't changing their order; they are cancelling their order, placing a new order, and then having their deposit transferred to the new order instead of losing it. So the order is being placed after the cut-off.

Which is exactly my point, this has nothing to do with fair, they easily could have pulled off fair. Tesla and @JonMc is playing the fair card and its lame. I'd have much more respect if they just said take it or leave it rather then playing this BS fair point.

@AVRnj -- you are clearly upset over what happened to you and subjectively feel Tesla has been unfair (your opinion, as is your right). The fact there hasn't been a huge hue and cry and hundreds of order cancellations or complaints in these and other forums would indicate the majority of people don't feel Tesla was unfair.

At the end of the day "fair" is how you define it. Tesla has treated every single person who has a 90D (or any other model) currently on order and not yet in production exactly the same way --- you can either keep your existing order and terms/conditions or you can pay a change fee, cancel your existing order and order a new one (not losing your deposit) under the current price book/configuration options with the current terms and conditions. To me that is fair. You think it's unfair. We both have our opinions, but to say they are playing a BS game is a bit much.

At this point you've cancelled your order and clearly aren't going to order until Tesla has something new that meets your eye/needs. Even if Tesla does change their decision with respect to FUSC and the folks currently on order who would like to change to a 100D, you are out of luck because you don't have an order anymore, you cancelled it. So why are you still here complaining about this issue?

@AVRnj -- you are clearly upset over what happened to you and subjectively feel Tesla has been unfair (your opinion, as is your right). The fact there hasn't been a huge hue and cry and hundreds of order cancellations or complaints in these and other forums would indicate the majority of people don't feel Tesla was unfair.

Actually, we have had at least one DS say Tesla has been receiving quite a bit of pushback over this decision from their customers. It is possible there have been a significant number of complaints, there have been a dozen or so on TMC alone.

I agree Tesla made a business decision and isn't budging, though.

I can see both sides. Tesla has built the reputation of a custom car manufacturer, made to order, wait for months. This has given hopes to customers paying six figure amounts to be taken care of, appropriately.

Unfortunately, or, fortunately, Tesla is also going mass-market. The manufacturing has to grow from 25K/quarter to 100K/quarter, rather quickly. Naturally, "custom" side of business will suffer, not unless Tesla builds a separate brand for the Custom side of business, builds a separate factory to retain quality (perhaps like the "AMG" segment of MB) - hand made, and personally signed by the craftsman that puts the fine-tuned suspension and motor components together...whatever.

For now though, there would be casualties like me (I took delivery of AP1 the last day before AP2 was announced), @AVRnj and many others. I am happy now - love the car, love the company, and hope to enjoy it for a thorough 10+yrs - we will see.

@AVRnj - my advise would be to just forget about the past, get the 100D. It is the best car on the planet right now, enjoy it everyday and ignore at least the next few Tesla 'new" product announcements :).

At the end of the day "fair" is how you define it. Tesla has treated every single person who has a 90D (or any other model) currently on order and not yet in production exactly the same way --- you can either keep your existing order and terms/conditions or you can pay a change fee, cancel your existing order and order a new one (not losing your deposit) under the current price book/configuration options with the current terms and conditions. To me that is fair. You think it's unfair. We both have our opinions, but to say they are playing a BS game is a bit much.

At this point you've cancelled your order and clearly aren't going to order until Tesla has something new that meets your eye/needs. Even if Tesla does change their decision with respect to FUSC and the folks currently on order who would like to change to a 100D, you are out of luck because you don't have an order anymore, you cancelled it. So why are you still here complaining about this issue?

Im honestly past being upset, and until Jon posted, I was not even discussing it anymore. I have moved on. But when i see something that looks like BS to me, Im going to call it out. Im not complaining, I am stating my opinion. When I replied to Jon with what I see as BS, a few people chimed in to tell me I was wrong. I am stating my case, not complaining.

I still don't see how it would in any way be unfair if they offered everyone who could possibly do a change to the 100D, FUSC, even those who can still do a $500 change. What would be unfair is if they treated others differently. What happened in the past is not really comparable, in that FUSC was never stopped in the past.

I fully get that I am not getting FUSC with a 100D, and they are not getting my order for a $108,000 car, and thats OK. That is how the world works. But the world also allows us to call BS when we see it.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I can see both sides. Tesla has built the reputation of a custom car manufacturer, made to order, wait for months. This has given hopes to customers paying six figure amounts to be taken care of, appropriately.

Unfortunately, or, fortunately, Tesla is also going mass-market. The manufacturing has to grow from 25K/quarter to 100K/quarter, rather quickly. Naturally, "custom" side of business will suffer, not unless Tesla builds a separate brand for the Custom side of business, builds a separate factory to retain quality (perhaps like the "AMG" segment of MB) - hand made, and personally signed by the craftsman that puts the fine-tuned suspension and motor components together...whatever.

For now though, there would be casualties like me (I took delivery of AP1 the last day before AP2 was announced), @AVRnj and many others. I am happy now - love the car, love the company, and hope to enjoy it for a thorough 10+yrs - we will see.

@AVRnj - my advise would be to just forget about the past, get the 100D. It is the best car on the planet right now, enjoy it everyday and ignore at least the next few Tesla 'new" product announcements :).

Yeah, heres the thing, the 100D is not going anywhere, and based on Teslas past history, new features and functionality will be coming fast and furious. Up until now, this has been a part of their strategy, and it served them well. A bunch of rich people like to trade in their toy every 2 years to get the latest and greatest. But with the Model 3 coming out, they are not going to have the same business model at all. I have zero incentive to order the 100D right now knowing the whole EV world is about to change drastically in a few months, and knowing that in that time there will probably be other changes to the 100D. The FUSC was my incentive to order now and deal with any of those changes, but they took that away. So thats cool, I will wait until the incentive is there for me, and I suspect many others will do the same. Im not complaining, or claiming its unfair, Im just stating my POV.

why are there 12 pages of this crap!
Because some people get really hung up on FUSC. I don't get it. If you drive 15k a year on Supercharger electricity it's a $1000 difference on your energy costs while you're busy doing $15k in depreciation on the car. But people care about what they care about, and taking something away always leaves some people really stuck on it. It's just the way of things.

Reactions: yak-55 and P100DHG.
Im honestly past being upset, and until Jon posted, I was not even discussing it anymore. I have moved on. But when i see something that looks like BS to me, Im going to call it out. Im not complaining, I am stating my opinion. When I replied to Jon with what I see as BS, a few people chimed in to tell me I was wrong. I am stating my case, not complaining.

I still don't see how it would in any way be unfair if they offered everyone who could possibly do a change to the 100D, FUSC, even those who can still do a $500 change. What would be unfair is if they treated others differently. What happened in the past is not really comparable, in that FUSC was never stopped in the past.

I fully get that I am not getting FUSC with a 100D, and they are not getting my order for a $108,000 car, and thats OK. That is how the world works. But the world also allows us to call BS when we see it.

The handful of customers lucky enough to be in your situation already had it better than the 90D/100D customers before and after.

You had the choice of either a 90D with free unlimited supercharging or a 100D without. Current customers do not have a choice of a 90D with FUSC, so you have better options than they did. Customers before you did not have the option of purchasing a 100D without a cancellation penalty or at all, so you have options they did not.

You already had better options than everyone else. But you want a deal that nobody else was offered -- FUSC on a 100D. I don't see how it's hard to see why Tesla might find it is unfair to offer a special deal to customers like you, especially since they were already lucky enough to have better options than the customers who bought before and after them.

Last edited:
The handful of customers lucky enough to be in your situation already had it better than the 90D/100D customers before and after.

You had the choice of either a 90D with free unlimited supercharging or a 100D without. Current customers do not have a choice of a 90D with FUSC, so you have better options than they did. Customers before you did not have the option of purchasing a 100D without a cancellation penalty or at all, so you have options they did not.

You already have better options than everyone else. But you want a deal that nobody else was offered -- FUSC on a 100D. I don't see how it's hard to see why Tesla might find it is unfair to offer a special deal to customers like you, especially since they were already lucky enough to have better options than the customers who bought before and after them.

<mic drop>