Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a 100D with ventilated seats! I DID IT! WOOO WOOOOOOOO!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why? Those who ordered by 12/31 got exactly what they ordered. Tesla extending the deadline only gave more people an opportunity to buy cars with FUSC. The people who ordered later don't get anything more than the people who ordered earlier, and the people who ordered earlier aren't hurt by the people who ordered later. How is that unfair to people who ordered earlier?

If I had ordered on 1/15, my 7-day cancellation period would have extended to 1/22. 100D was announced on 1/20, I believe. I would have been able to cancel the order without cost or at least with the $500 change fee.

If I had ordered on 1/15, my 7-day cancellation period would have extended to 1/22. 100D was announced on 1/20, I believe. I would have been able to cancel the order without cost or at least with the $500 change fee.

Assuming you ordered really close to the originally expiration date for FUSC if you were really worried about that you could have cancelled your order before your 7-day window expired, but after the new expiration date was announced, got your deposit back and placed a new order right before the new FUSC expiration date.

Otherwise you weren't really worried about what changes were coming shortly after the FUSC expiration.

That's correct and the exact situation we had in our household.

Since you ordered 12/13 and your order was already confirmed, you can no longer cancel without losing the $2500 deposit. Since your order is scheduled to go into production 1/30, it's too late to change your order with the $500 fee.

Damn, ordered on 12/13 and already going into production on 1/30? That seems way sooner than advertised. I ordered on 12/19 and I think it said late March at that point. jwtseng, what did the website say for delivery estimate when you ordered? Maybe you can push back since they apparently moved production up.

Damn, ordered on 12/13 and already going into production on 1/30? That seems way sooner than advertised. I ordered on 12/19 and I think it said late March at that point. jwtseng, what did the website say for delivery estimate when you ordered? Maybe you can push back since they apparently moved production up.

Well, that's what they told me yesterday...but then again last week when I asked about changing my order, I was told that my car was already in active production and would be finished "probably by the end of the week" (last week). So I don't know what the real answer is. I feel a bit like they've used this "too close to production" at "already in production" line to ward off any efforts to change orders. And yes, when I placed my order I was given an early March delivery timeframe. How would you feel if you've been told you can't make any changes because "it's too close to production" in mid Jan and then ultimately don't get delivery until the originally stated March timeframe? That's what I feel is happening...and on top of that, the 90D that I originally ordered might already be discontinued by then.

Well, that's what they told me yesterday...but then again last week when I asked about changing my order, I was told that my car was already in active production and would be finished "probably by the end of the week" (last week). So I don't know what the real answer is. I feel a bit like they've used this "too close to production" at "already in production" line to ward off any efforts to change orders. And yes, when I placed my order I was given an early March delivery timeframe. How would you feel if you've been told you can't make any changes because "it's too close to production" in mid Jan and then ultimately don't get delivery until the originally stated March timeframe? That's what I feel is happening...and on top of that, the 90D that I originally ordered might already be discontinued by then.
Call 800 number to validate the status of your car

Why? Those who ordered by 12/31 got exactly what they ordered. Tesla extending the deadline only gave more people an opportunity to buy cars with FUSC. The people who ordered later don't get anything more than the people who ordered earlier, and the people who ordered earlier aren't hurt by the people who ordered later. How is that unfair to people who ordered earlier?

Well then, explain how it would be unfair for Tesla to extend the FUSC deadline one more time for 14 days?

Well then, explain how it would be unfair for Tesla to extend the FUSC deadline one more time for 14 days?

Because then people could get the 100D with FUSC, and people who ordered the 90D too early to change would feel screwed themselves, and with far more justification. As it is now, if people ordered too early to cancel for the 100D they get FUSC to assuage any regrets. People who still can cancel/change their order still have the option to do so: keep the 90D with FUSC, change to a 100D and lose FUSC (and maybe their interior option config depending on their previous selections), or cancel entirely. They haven't lost anything and Tesla hasn't screwed them out of anything.

This is and forever will be an argument with no resolve for those in the "middle". Those that ordered (took delivery) the day before HW1 was released...Those that ordered (took delivery) the day before the Facelift was released....Those that ordered (took delivery) the day before HW2 was released...EVERY time a new release of something major happens a handful of people feel cheated. It is just the nature of Tesla ownership. I have a good friend that took delivery of his 85 and HW1 was announced 1 week later. He toiled over it for months and months and finally said I am just going to bite the bullet and buy a new one with Auto Pilot and sure enough a week after delivery HW2 was being delivered. Be happy you people in the situation you have of an actual choice to get a 100D option change.

BTW I have never understood the sever over importance placed on FUSC. I have 46,909 miles on my 2015 85D daily commuter and have used SC THREE times. FUSC was an allure and a way to garner sales in the beginning but in reality it is such small part of owning a Tesla. \i/

Reactions: EinSV
BTW I have never understood the sever over importance placed on FUSC. I have 46,909 miles on my 2015 85D daily commuter and have used SC THREE times. FUSC was an allure and a way to garner sales in the beginning but in reality it is such small part of owning a Tesla. \i/

I think you are right for 90%+ of owners. But for the small minority (myself included) who regularly drive multi hundred mile routes, and also keep cars 200-300K miles the FUSC can be worth $10K over the life of the car. Of course that argument begins to go out the window with longer and longer range - because most of us will skip the supercharger to save time (me included). The 100D will eliminate many of my supercharger stops even on long drives and I will choose to spend money charging at home or at a destination.

I drove to a SvC with SCs to try to get the HW2 AP update 2 days ago and I was tempted to use the SC but it was 1 mile from my house so I chickened out. All 4 stalls were occupied anyways but I'm curious to get my first taste...

I think its smart to have FUSC but it is way overvalued. I think as SCs become more and more common place it will be even more valuable simply because new owners will also overvalue it. You can sell it as an unlimited fuel car. ICE owners will think -- hey if I never had to pay at the pump, it would be great. They won't understand that the greatest benefit to BEV is that you can charge at home and skip all but road trip refueling.

I think you are right for 90%+ of owners. But for the small minority (myself included) who regularly drive multi hundred mile routes, and also keep cars 200-300K miles the FUSC can be worth $10K over the life of the car. Of course that argument begins to go out the window with longer and longer range - because most of us will skip the supercharger to save time (me included). The 100D will eliminate many of my supercharger stops even on long drives and I will choose to spend money charging at home or at a destination.

I do "get it" but the allure was for "free" fuel. Even if I needed to stop for SC I don't just expect that is should be free. It is in the same frame of mind of the unlimited data plans that cell providers had at one point and have weaned people off of. I think it is entirely appropriate to charge for energy (fuel) when you are not charging at home.

I do "get it" but the allure was for "free" fuel. Even if I needed to stop for SC I don't just expect that is should be free. It is in the same frame of mind of the unlimited data plans that cell providers had at one point and have weaned people off of. I think it is entirely appropriate to charge for energy (fuel) when you are not charging at home.

Of course it's appropriate to charge for energy - who says it isn't? The appeal of endless free fuel to the customer has nothing to do with the ethics and/or business case for charging for fuel. Obviously I want free fuel. That doesn't mean I deserve it and the second claim is not implied by the first.

This is and forever will be an argument with no resolve for those in the "middle". Those that ordered (took delivery) the day before HW1 was released...Those that ordered (took delivery) the day before the Facelift was released....Those that ordered (took delivery) the day before HW2 was released...EVERY time a new release of something major happens a handful of people feel cheated. It is just the nature of Tesla ownership. I have a good friend that took delivery of his 85 and HW1 was announced 1 week later. He toiled over it for months and months and finally said I am just going to bite the bullet and buy a new one with Auto Pilot and sure enough a week after delivery HW2 was being delivered. Be happy you people in the situation you have of an actual choice to get a 100D option change.

I would totally understand and it would be a heck of a lot easier to accept my inability to upgrade to the 100D without losing my deposit if I had already taken delivery of the 90D or was given a firm delivery date indicating active production of the car. But I've only been told all along for the last three weeks that my car was entering production any day now, so that bit of misinformation or lack of transparency is primarily the source of my dissatisfaction. People compare it to buying a computer all the time...the next day something faster and more powerful always comes out. But the difference here is that when I buy a computer, I get to take it home immediately and start using it and getting enjoyment out of it. With my current 90D order, the car will be "obsoleted" (yes I'm using this facetiously) before I even receive it -- nay, before it's even built.

I know I'm coming off like a big baby crying over my own regret, but ultimately it's my money and my car and the principle of it.

But the difference here is that when I buy a computer, I get to take it home immediately and start using it and getting enjoyment out of it.

Not higher end computers.

The last few laptops I bought all took over 2 months to ship. I've even bought a laptop last year with a CPU that was discontinued and replaced 2 weeks before the laptop was manufactured (and no, I couldn't change the order.)

Sure, low end computers you can just buy off the shelve, but then again you can also do that with a Nissan Leaf.

When you compare apples to apples, Tesla is not that different.

Not higher end computers.

The last few laptops I bought all took over 2 months to ship. I've even bought a laptop last year with a CPU that was discontinued and replaced 2 weeks before the laptop was manufactured (and no, I couldn't change the order.)

Sure, low end computers you can just buy off the shelve, but then again you can also do that with a Nissan Leaf.

When you compare apples to apples, Tesla is not that different.

That usually only applies to the launch of such computers, though, most models later come available for faster delivery.

And most importantly: those computers are usually not upgraded significantly every 2-3 months like Teslas are. Usually once a year, twice tops. If you buy at launch, you are practically guaranteed to get the new version before it is obsoleted.

With Tesla, the 2-4 month delivery time (even more internationally) and quarterly changes means the chance of getting your obsolete car after a new version has already been launched is extraordinarily high. Tesla's have gotten major changes on every one of the past four quarters and many smaller onces as well...