Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BP Pulse Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like a new site is under construction at BP Maroondah Hwy Ringwood, Vic.

Construction vehicles everywhere and new 100mm orange conduit going in, looked like a mains upgrade to the site also.

Will get some pictures at a later point.

This location has lots of parking and a Wild Bean cafe, 24/7 site.

This site is now looking very close, 500kVA transformer as gone in, site electricians have cables to the stalls. Looks like 2 stalls, so likely 4 connectors. Wouldn't surprise me if its higher powered than the usual 75kW a connector we have seen at previous BP Pulse locations.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
Tesla is selling whitelabeled Supercharger hardware to BP Pulse in North America.

I wonder if that'll extend to other parts of the world eventually?
Original bp press release is here - https://www.bp.com/en_us/united-sta...ollar-order-of-tesla-ultra-fast-chargers.html

• Deal with bp pulse marks first time Tesla’s ultra-fast chargers will be purchased for deployment on an independent EV charging network.
  • Agreement forms part of bp’s plans to invest up to $1 billion in EV charging across the US by 2030.
    bp pulse, bp’s EV charging business, has already installed more than 27,000 charge points and aims to roll out more than 100,000 globally by 2030.
  • As early as 2024, Tesla chargers will be installed across the bp pulse network, including at key bp, Amoco, ampm; and Thorntons-branded sites, TravelCenters of America locations and at bp pulse’s large-scale Gigahub™ charging sites, near airports and in major metropolitan areas across the US.

Last edited:
There is now NO REASON for other EV manufacturers to not invest some capital into EV DC charging infrastructure

Yes there is a reason… it’s completely unnecessary. This narrative that EV manufacturers need to somehow “prove” themselves or “prove” they are serious about EVs by building their own charging networks is silly and has been since about 2018, especially now there are so many other DCFC networks being built.

Tesla needed to build its own network because it was the first to mass produce BEVs and it needed Superchargers to prove the viability of BEVs. No one else would take that risk back then. And having built a network, they kept on building it. It’s now part of their brand and ecosystem.

But if other manufacturers started to build their own DCFC networks, not only would you need to download more Apps, all it would do is divert those manufacturers’ investment dollars away from developing and making more BEVs. Great outcome 🙄.

Reactions: B3AU and RichardV
I didn't say that. I said all EV comes with an App. So an EV manufacturer can build their own DCFC - accessible via their existing car app. Or partner with someone to build using their app. In any event, no new apps are required - as per your comment earlier.

Already seen videos of Tesla V4 dispensers using tap and go payment in the UK, there is no need for an app unless it offer's something other than payment. I am actually hoping you can turn OFF auto charge on Tesla's at a future point. This can make sense for lending your Tesla out, either via Turo or friends etc. They can then pay for their own charging at Superchargers via Tap. All the apps still require you to fart around choosing a stall number etc. If you are going to do that, its much faster to just plug and tap. The biggest issue is with the pre-auth amounts for people with low balance on cards. But that is more of a Visa/MC back end things, surely in today's world the pre-auth can be cleared instantly after the payment is processed.

As a side note, I noticed the Tesla V4 stall doesn't give you the ability to monitor your charge with a third party car away from the stall. They need to add a Kempower type feature so you can scan the QR code and monitor via a website.

Reactions: GeoQuack
I said all EV comes with an App. So an EV manufacturer can build their own DCFC - accessible via their existing car app. Or partner with someone to build using their app. In any event, no new apps are required - as per your comment earlier.

If BYD built their own charging network, while it presumably would be accessible in the BYD App, it would not be accessible from any other App - Telsa, Polestar, etc.

So any other user would need to download a new App to use the BYD charging network. Just like non-Tesla drivers need to create a Tesla account and download the Tesla app to use the Tesla network 🙄. So yeah, more Apps to download.

You said “Rapid buildout of a DCFC network requires all hands on deck” - and it makes much more sense for Evie, NRMA, Ampol, BP etc to continue do that. It does not make sense for BYD, Polestar, Hyundai, Kia etc to do that.

None of the DCFC networks are making money. The more those other BEV manufacturers waste capital on building their own DCFC networks, the more money they lose, and the fewer BEVs they make. You really think that’s a good outcome?

So taking it to its logical conclusion, there should not be DCFC because they are loss making?. Sharing the losses will mitigate the downside

I don’t know if you’re deliberately trying to be obtuse, but there is a difference between:
  • a company whose sole focus is building DCFCs (e.g. Evie) and who clearly wants to build scale in the expectation that one day the network will make money; or
  • a company who sees it as a direct adjacency to their existing business (e.g. NRMA, BP, Ampol) and use it to maintain mindshare/market share and protect their existing business (cross-subsidies reign supreme); or
  • a car company for whom building a DCFC network merely takes significant time, money and resources away from building more BEVs 🙄
Different companies don’t “share losses”. That’s no how business works 🙄. More companies building more DCFC networks just makes more companies lose even more money 🙄. Fragmentation helps no-one.

I'm sure I'm not the one being obtuse.
Firstly it's the too many apps , then it's DCFC are losing money...

I would say that there is a car manufacturer in existence now who fits #1 and #2 and does not think it's doing #3. In fact there are analysts who think this manufacturer's DCFC network has a valuation of $100B. Losses?. They are anticipating #1. As more EV cars come onto the market, EV manufacturing margins may tighten. Separate sources of income are important - Self driving AI and DCFC

Last edited: