Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brakes slamming on in cruise control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just finished my first long motorway drive after finally venturing out of rural Suffolk.

I was hoping autopilot would make the journey nice and painless, but it kept me on my toes and made me look like a bit of a tool. Multiple times while in adaptive cruise (non-FSD model 3) the car would slam the brakes on without warning and no message on the screen. The common denominator for all occurrences seemed to be bridges over the motorway - they seemed to spook the car into hitting the brakes. It was very dull, dark and wet these last couple of days, so I'm wondering if the cameras were struggling.

Is this a common phenomenon? Or should I have a whinge to Tesla? It doesn't seem very safe, and for the time being I'm glad I didn't pay for FSD. It still seems rather glitchy.

On a lighter note, the car LOVED the amount of cones on the M6, it was in its element :D

I've just finished my first long motorway drive after finally venturing out of rural Suffolk......
......On a lighter note, the car LOVED the amount of cones on the M6, it was in its element :D
Suffolk, M6... so A14? The new section around Cambridge caused my M3 severe phantom braking a couple of times when I've driven Eastbound recently. Luckily nobody near to rear end her.... more AutoHarlot than AutoPilot.

Suffolk, M6... so A14? The new section around Cambridge caused my M3 severe phantom braking a couple of times when I've driven Eastbound recently. Luckily nobody near to rear end her.... more AutoHarlot than AutoPilot.
That section didn't seem any better or worse than the M6 to me. It didn't discriminate, it was uniformly dangerous throughout!

I hope you were correctly marked up.

images.jpeg

This is why I’ve given up on autopilot. I’ve had so many instances of the car slamming on the brakes like it’s doing an emergency stop, bringing me down from 70mph to 40mph before I take over. I’m always tense because I know I may need to intervene very quickly to prevent an accident, and I find this tiring. Currently it just isn’t fit for purpose.

I’m sooooo glad I didn’t waste my money on “FSD”.

Reactions: DaminGJ
This is why I’ve given up on autopilot. I’ve had so many instances of the car slamming on the brakes like it’s doing an emergency stop, bringing me down from 70mph to 40mph before I take over. I’m always tense because I know I may need to intervene very quickly to prevent an accident, and I find this tiring. Currently it just isn’t fit for purpose.

I’m sooooo glad I didn’t waste my money on “FSD”.
Elon says it'll be Level 5 (full hands-off automation all the time) by the end of the year. But he also said it would be "Feature Complete" by the end of last year. Maybe the reported "re-write" will make it all magically better - but I'm not holding my breath.