Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brakes squeak when backing up slowly on brand new MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I just picked up my 60D MX yesterday. Overall happy with build quality and fit and finish. I have noticed a slight brake squeak sometimes when backing out of the driveway slowly. Otherwise brakes seem fine. Do you guys think this is just the brakes needing to "break in" or something I should have SC look at?

Thanks!

--LCL

Brake squeak is normal most of the time. As long as it works it's not a safety concern. If it doesn't go away in a few days and if you are concerned then take it in to see what they will do. I guess if the brake works they will not do anything other than spraying some brake cleaner on it.

Our BMW brake squeaks since day 1 (not just when car is cold, all the time) and every time we take it in for maintenance they say the brake is normal and will not replace them because the pads/rotors are still above replacement-spec, although they are able to replicate the noise every single time. It's annoying.

> what is "brake cleaner"? Should we all use this? [TSammy]

No, this is for cleaning out brake drums that are clogged with brake dust and (often) leaked brake fluid. A messy job that requires this highly volatile cleaning fluid. Nasty stuff that should be kept off plastic or painted surfaces ie nowhere near a Tesla.

If Tesla brake discs get rusty you can clean them by actually using your brakes as opposed to relying solely on regen. Also don't weasel the brakes - either use them positively or don't use them at all (just regen instead).
--