TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Brand New X - Charge Port Door Won't Open With Wand

Discussion in 'Model X' started by SSonnentag, Aug 30, 2018.

1. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Supporting Member

Ours won't open using the charging cable at all. It opens fine with a manual touch or from the screen though. Manually opening the door would be OK for charging, but having to climb into the car to unlock the port when done charging is a pain. Is this an easy fix?

2. Helmuth

Helmuth Member

We had the same issue on delivery day.
    They sent a ranger and replaced it in our driveway within one hour!

• Like x 1
  3. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Supporting Member

Sounds like it should be a quick fix anyway, but rangers apparently won't drive 100 miles to our house to fix it. I'll get it fixed when we take the X in to get a couple of paint nicks fixed. Looks like the rear bumper took a few rocks during the trip between the factory and the service center for delivery.

4. DCGOO

DCGOO Member

You need to go to another charger somewhere and determine if the problem is in the car, or in your WC. it could be either one.

• Like x 1
  5. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

have you tried multiple chargers or just the one? could be a defective wand

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. JQS3

JQS3 Member

I’m awaiting delivery of my Model X and I didn’t even know the charge port door would open on it’s own! In case anyone else reading this is like me, here’s a demo of 5 ways to open the charge port (on a Model 3 but I guess it’s the same on MX?)

7. dethman

dethman Member

#7 dethman, Aug 30, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2018

8. Sonic_78

Sonic_78 Member

Don’t forget the obvious, you have to push the button on the charge plug to get the door to swing open.

9. ToddS

ToddS Member

make sure you hold it up above the port. I am told that the receiver is somewhere along the edge the rear hatch. it works for us.

• Informative x 2
  10. Anzir

Anzir Supporting Member

My issue was that I didn't realize the car had to be unlocked for it to work from the charging cable.

11. roblab

roblab Active Member

I was told that the receiver is one of the etched lines in the rear window. One of the factory people showed me which one on my S. Probably different on the 3, and probably doesn't matter anyway. It would make more sense to have it in the window than somewhere on the edge of the "rear hatch", it seems to me. And, hey, the window is on the rear hatch, isn't it?

12. VikH

VikH Member

You shouldn't have to climb into the car. Since the car unlocks when you approach, you can push the charging port door to open.

Yep. Sensor is near the C pillar, so point up there when pressing the button.

13. bFlat

bFlat Member

I accidentally press the button sometimes while grabbing the charger from its' base and the charge port opens. My base is a good 3 ft from the vehicle so don't think you need to hold it right up to the exact location on the car.

14. beths11

beths11 THE LONG RANGER

If you push and hold the trunk opening portion of you FOB it will also open your charge port. My wand is hit or miss...

• Informative x 1
  15. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

Same here. Any time we pressed the button on the charging handle, the charge port doors on both of our S would open. So we thought the X was broken when we went out in the garage and that didn't work.

I called Tesla and told them it was broken...but they said it's by design. The X charge port door is different than the one on the S. The X has to be unlocked for the charge port door to open in response to the handle.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1