Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Breaking customer promises

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In other words, Tesla rather breaks a customer promise, instead of selling me a new car.

You're in the right.

Forum members here are going to make a lot of excuses for Tesla acting like jerks... "you should know Tesla by now". Just because cool Elon shoots cars into space, does not make it ok to treat you like that. They added an expiration date after the fact. That's deceit. This should not be not be accepted by anyone... and I doubt we'd be seeing excuses made if this were Kia.

Talk to a lawyer.

In the real world, free supercharging is only great for travelers. I've been in over 25 states and more cities. It really counts then. I go on trips at least once a month that use 2 to 4 charges. Thats a lot of gas . My neighbors kid figured I'd saved over $10k.
I have solar panels on my house, i only charge from 10 to 4pm.
But, my local store told me i would have free charging transfered to a new S if i bought a newer S. But in todays world, good luck.

• Informative
Reactions: msvoyager
They added an expiration date after the fact. That's deceit. This should not be not be accepted by anyone
does not make it ok to treat you like that

Thanks for the supportive comments. @Lasttoy: For me it's not about the frequency. Or whether it would be really that super beneficial for me. Probably not, I don't drive a lot, like <5000 a year. It MEANT something special for me. I decided to say goodbye to gas, took the risk to choose for a brand new small company and paid a huge premium, in the knowledge that I would never have to pay for gas again, even in my next Tesla. Made it feel as a life altering decision, and it made me feel special to do that. THAT'S why I am so super disappointed.

Regarding a lawyer: Yes I was thinking that too. Though by the time this would get resolved, the tax credit is gone, and the inventory car with the price I was OK with, is gone.

Reactions: neroden
That is not even close nor in the same league, compared to a note in my account that states if I ever buy ANY new car the free supercharging carries over -which was there for like 2 years- Would you expect that a customer after 6 months being the owner of a new car says: "great, let me use that "promise" before it expires, trade in my current car and get myself a new car, as my old one is already 6 months old." ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden

"...something that's unique about the supercharger is that it's free, so not just free now it's free forever." - Elon 2013

Maybe Tesla can use their AI chips to edit in him saying "or until I change my mind".
I think you are just taking it to the other extreme now. The fanboys you were complaining about, being the other extreme. There is a reasonable middle ground. It is free forever for those that bought their cars back then if they can keep them running forever. I was thinking Tesla should just give free Supercharging to the complainers because they would make more money on the sale of a car and keep customers happy. After all Tesla was ambiguous and didn't spell it out clearly that their offer didn't stand for the rest of eternity. But if customers are going to be this ridiculous then Tesla should just cut their losses.

Last edited:
Hi Unpilot,
Just saw your note come in while i was still working on my pc. No way that I would ever go back to an ICE :)
I just wont upgrade my current Tesla AP1 75D to a newer model. I will keep it for as long as I can, I just wont be able to enjoy the newer autopilot or FSD. And who knows, some years from today I buy another EV. Just not from Tesla, they spoiled the experience for me. I guess I kept Tesla to higher standards. Had it happened with any other brand I would not have been surprised or disappointed, but just expected it. Tesla felt more like a community than a brand. But so far I didnt hear any follow up anymore from the Tesla employees I worked with from the moment the store manager canceled my order and said he would just refund me. I guess I was too naive that Tesla would still come around...

By the way, I see you are in IL as well. Where are you based?

• Love
Reactions: neroden and kavyboy
BMW treated me unfairly as well. I likely will not buy another BMW, at least until I find one I like at a price I'm willing to pay.

Look at any forum online. Lots of people think they are treated unfairly by many companies. Companies do not meet everyones request regardless of how valid the person feels the request may be.

I have an S that I purchased in the same timeframe. It had similar wording and then changed. I personally viewed this as an offer valid at the time. I didn't expect the deal to last my entire lifetime, so I wasn't worried about it.

For me it's not about the frequency. Or whether it would be really that super beneficial for me. Probably not, I don't drive a lot, like <5000 a year. It MEANT something special for me.

I think it is sad that you are depriving yourself of something you wanted because you aren't going to get something that you wouldn't really use anyhow. It seems like you put a significant value something that isn't available to other people.

But so far I didnt hear any follow up anymore from the Tesla employees I worked with from the moment the store manager canceled my order and said he would just refund me.

Why would you expect to get a follow up from Tesla once they let you know how things were, you let them know you wanted to cancel your order, and they canceled it? Are you expecting them to try to convivence you to purchase a Tesla anyhow?

That is not even close nor in the same league, compared to a note in my account that states if I ever buy ANY new car the free supercharging carries over -which was there for like 2 years- Would you expect that a customer after 6 months being the owner of a new car says: "great, let me use that "promise" before it expires, trade in my current car and get myself a new car, as my old one is already 6 months old." ;)
But it did not say that. I don't see anywhere where it states 'ever' in your screen shot. Any mention have time is absent.

You choose to interpret as an offer for your lifetime. I read it as a current offer.

I think its reasonable that if am told that I get unlimited supercharging when I am buying the car, AND I am told it will carry over if I buy a new car, it will actually happen. I think it is unreasonable to think that customer would have to change cars within say 6 months or a year after just buying a new car because that promise might be withdrawn.

This saga is somewhat similar to Tesla raising the post-delivery price of EAP from $6k to $7k recently. Folks that chose not to purchase EAP pre-delivery a year or two ago for $5k were told they could purchase it anytime later at $6k. It was displayed clearly on the website, just like this supercharging item. However, recently Tesla raised the post-delivery price to $7k, causing many owners to cry foul. Similar to this, there was an implied contract during the purchase of the car that they would retain the right to purchase at that set price. I don't know if anyone managed to twist Tesla's arm to sell it at the 'grandfathered' price $6k, but in this particular situation, it was offset by Tesla agreeing to re-enable the 30 day EAP trial for those owners that asked, which comes with a discounted $5500 purchase price. So, in essence, these owners got to buy it for less than the original price, but they did so because they probably didn't think Tesla would give them another opportunity to purchase at a discount or at their original $6k price.

Buying or owning a Tesla shouldn't be a crap shoot. Tesla should honor it's commitment to it's customers and do the right things....

Talk to a lawyer.
Except the OP is guaranteed to spend more on attorneys than they will spend on SCing. It's amazing to me how bent out of shape people get about "free" stuff. That electricity isn't free. By paying for SCing you are paying for the continued expansion of the SC network. I am in the process of trading in our P85 for a 100D. We are losing free SCing. Do I wish I had done it a few months earlier to get free SCing? Sure, but I didn't have the money then. Plus the loss of sunroofs, the leaked pictures of the hideous interior refresh, and the expiration of the tax credit caused us to jump now.

Plus, with the increased range over our 85 we won't really SC that much and when we do I'll just pay for the privilege. At least here in the middle of the country, SCing isn't that expensive.

To clarify, as I tried before: For me this isn't about free stuff. At all.
It is about what it meant to me when I bought my original Tesla. It was special for me. It stands for the choice I made at that time to take a risk with a new company that was pro environment and pro customer, an amazing breath of fresh air compared to any other, and pay a premium to never use gas again. During the process, and after I received the car, I was informed that this special feature would carry over if I would buy any new car.

Now that I am taking Telsa up on that, just 2 years after I bought this car, I am super disappointed how Tesla silently, without any note sent to me, one-sided changed the text in MY account of MY car, and just broke that promise. I am just disappointed in a company that I held in such a high esteem. It's like, wow, so this is how you thank me for spreading the word, getting 4 people to buy a Telsa, and for me upgrading to a newer model after only two years.

I am not expecting a special treatment or a discount, or extra goodies, for being a loyal customer. I am simply asking that was was promised when I bought my car. Seems reasonable and the very minimum to expect from a decent customer service perspective.

And regarding helping with the Tesla expansion, well I think that's what I am doing by buying another car.

• Love
Reactions: neroden and ACA Man
...For those who are defending Tesla...

I am in the real world so I just have to know how it works and understand it so I don't get confused or become a victim.

Those who are slow to take Tesla offers can miss those offers.

The issue here is: When you buy a new S or X you'll get free Supercharging with those too.

Then, without owner's knowledge, Tesla snuck in the deadline which was not in the original offer in the first place.

I don't like that at all but that is how the legal world works: Tesla has the rights to change its offer at any time.

The only way that offer cannot be changed is when that offer was still there without the deadline date, I would pay for another new S / X, then at that time, the offer would be converted to a contract and locked in.

Last edited:
I think its reasonable that if am told that I get unlimited supercharging when I am buying the car, AND I am told it will carry over if I buy a new car, it will actually happen.

Interested if you think that should be for your lifetime?

For those who are defending Tesla, what is your understanding of that timeline? If you were in OP's shoes, would you think that the free supercharging would be applied to the new car if purchased within 6 months? 1 year? 2 years? or????

I think it would apply if I purchase well the offer is valid as not timeline is in the offer. But I sceptical of Tesla and most companies in general and know they don't have my best interest in mind.