Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bridgestone Turanza QuietTrack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My LR MY developed a leak in a rear tire - sidewalk damage we think. So two new tires just went on the back late last week: Bridgestone Turanza QuietTracks, 19”. 20k on the car so far.

The performance reviews of that tire were very positive, but I’m wondering if anyone can speak to their affect on efficiency/range. I’ll keep an eye on it, and it may turn out to be hard to say, since only 2 of 4 were changed out. But has anyone else switched to this tire who can share their thoughts on not just performance, but the effects on range compared to the OEMs? Has anyone switched to tires that they found to *increase* the range compared to the factory tires?

Thanks in advance for all replies!

I swapped out my OEM tires at about 2000 miles for a set of Bridgestone Turanza QuietTracks because I was convinced they would improve ride quality. I felt the change had some minor improvement in ride quality but not much. I wasn't paying attention to range change, but I certainly noticed increase/decrease.

You do know that it's not a good idea to have different tires on the front and rear wheels?
Since the front and rear driveshafts are not connected to each other by any transmission/driveshaft linkage like we've seen in traditional ICE 4WD/AWD-type configurations, having slightly different and/or worn tires shouldn't be as much of a concern here. Case and point, the Model Y Performance/Perf. Upgrade stock 21 inch wheels have vastly different tire configurations: 255/35/R21 front, 275/35R21 rear. Do note that the 275/35R21 is about half an inch wider in diameter than the 255/35R21

Since the front and rear driveshafts are not connected to each other by any transmission/driveshaft linkage like we've seen in traditional ICE 4WD/AWD-type configurations, having slightly different and/or worn tires shouldn't be as much of a concern here. Case and point, the Model Y Performance/Perf. Upgrade stock 21 inch wheels have vastly different tire configurations: 255/35/R21 front, 275/35R21 rear. Do note that the 275/35R21 is about half an inch wider in diameter than the 255/35R21
The staggered tires on the MYP are ok as these are the same brand and type of tires, and the car maker has designed for and tested that combination.

The issue is more that the front tires of the OP have 20K miles on them, so are likely worn out quite a bit, and are of a different type, and so could have very different behaviour in terms of grip as the new rear tires, potentially resulting in over or understeer in bad weather or road conditions. In particular considering they already have 20K miles on them I would think it would have been much better to have replaced all 4 tires.

Reactions: jpfive
I swapped out my OEM tires at about 2000 miles for a set of Bridgestone Turanza QuietTracks because I was convinced they would improve ride quality. I felt the change had some minor improvement in ride quality but not much. I wasn't paying attention to range change, but I certainly noticed increase/decrease.
Seems I left out a word in the bolded section. There should have been the word "didn't" between CERTAINLY and NOTICED.

One quick observation about the Bridgestone Turanza QuietTracks. I'm in the process of rotating my tires right now. I removed passenger side rear tire first. I was shocked to see that I'm already down to the wear bars at 6000 miles!!!!!! I guess this is the hidden cost of the performance upgrade coupled with Low Impulse Control. I'm going to move the fronts to the back and see how fast I can get them down to the wear bars and then I'll have OEM tires back on the car. Those tires are sitting in a corner of my shop. I think I will then try Chill Mode for a while!!

• Funny
Reactions: Aimbdd
One quick observation about the Bridgestone Turanza QuietTracks. I'm in the process of rotating my tires right now. I removed passenger side rear tire first. I was shocked to see that I'm already down to the wear bars at 6000 miles!!!!!! I guess this is the hidden cost of the performance upgrade coupled with Low Impulse Control. I'm going to move the fronts to the back and see how fast I can get them down to the wear bars and then I'll have OEM tires back on the car. Those tires are sitting in a corner of my shop. I think I will then try Chill Mode for a while!!
Holy crap! "Low Impulse Control", for sure. 6k miles on tires that (in theory only?) are warranted for 80k miles? Seriously?

I've got 9k on the OEM 19" ContiProContact, and they're probably at 7/32" all around. I guess I pamper my car???

I was just talking today with a FE suspension guy at a hi-end auto shop. They build serious track cars, ICE of course, in the 600-800hp range. We agreed that not many people fully comprehend, and respect, the reality of INSTANT TORQUE of an EV on demand. That instant twist is what is destroying tires. I always "roll" into my power bursts, so as not to abuse my tires.

YMMV!

I'm in the process of rotating my tires right now. I removed passenger side rear tire first. I was shocked to see that I'm already down to the wear bars at 6000 miles!!!!!! I guess this is the hidden cost of the performance upgrade coupled with Low Impulse Control.
Exact same boat... I noticed that my passenger side rear was wearing faster as well. Rotated front to back at 6 months and about 6000 miles. Up to 10k miles now and the rear are wearing, but not as uneven left to right as previously.

I'm thinking my alignment might be off a bit. Either that or more torque goes to the right rear (although I'm not sure this is even possible on a EV). Or the rural country/mountain roads where I do most of my "pleasure driving" are just that much rougher here at the edge than the middle. 🤷‍♂️

My LR MY developed a leak in a rear tire - sidewalk damage we think. So two new tires just went on the back late last week: Bridgestone Turanza QuietTracks, 19”. 20k on the car so far.

The performance reviews of that tire were very positive, but I’m wondering if anyone can speak to their affect on efficiency/range. I’ll keep an eye on it, and it may turn out to be hard to say, since only 2 of 4 were changed out. But has anyone else switched to this tire who can share their thoughts on not just performance, but the effects on range compared to the OEMs? Has anyone switched to tires that they found to *increase* the range compared to the factory tires?

Thanks in advance for all replies!
Curious how you are liking Bridgestone? I had the exact same thing happen to me with a nail. Decided against the stock tires due to poor snow performance and going with these to replace.

I got these installed. Measured tread depth on all four tires. The tread depth is not 10/32nds as advertised - pretty disappointing. Seems like a good way to easily implement the excessive treadwear condition to avoid the treadwear warranty. I contacted Bridgestone - they told me to contact discount tire. Debating on what to do.

hpartsch: I don't understand your post. So the tread depth is greater than 10/32? If it were LESS than 10/32, wouldn't the tread life of the tire be shorter, and warranty claims would come earlier in the life of the tire?

hpartsch: I don't understand your post. So the tread depth is greater than 10/32? If it were LESS than 10/32, wouldn't the tread life of the tire be shorter, and warranty claims would come earlier in the life of the tire?
Hi, the tread depth is not 10/32nds, it is LESS, not greater. I am reading ~8-8.5 32nds on the tires. Very little difference in depth between these new tires and the OEMs I took off with 2,000 miles on them.

This is part of the bridgestone warranty manual. Thinking they could use that when/if I try a claim. I'm not seeing any details of what ithe exact specifiics are for this. But if you have a 80k tire warranty - putting them on a tesla and the weight- in combination with them starting out with less than claimed tread depth -- I'm foreseeing a denial of a claim.

RAPID TREAD WEAR A. Rapid tread wear or wear-out is not covered under the Bridgestone Platinum Pact, Firestone Gold Pledge, or Basic Limited Warranty. See the Limited Mileage Warranty section of this manual

Hope that helps?

Last edited:
Reactions: matj1285
The tire warranties are a joke. You have to maintain them perfectly for them to replace a tire. Read: no difference in tread depth across the tire—if there is, warranty void. I’d challenge you to find any car that doesn’t have some variation in tread depth due to OE alignment settings.

Reactions: Pianewman
So far I got ~20k on these Bridgestone's. Just got them rotated and balanced, and I'm hoping for another ~20k on them. Pretty impressed so far as I floor it a 2-3 times a week. With my model S, all prior tires I had were almost toast at 20k.

Reactions: Senpai