Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Broke the steering axle of my M3P hitting a curb that was hard to see due to the sun

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a reason it is designed that way. There is a left turn from the cross street or exit ramp they are trying to keep from ending up in the turn lane unintentionally. Granted this isn't a good design but they were trying to solve one problem, however created another one. You can see what they are trying to do better on the other side of the overpass as it is not hidden by the shadow. It isn't an uncommon design although they shouldn't have the dashed line before it. I wonder if they added the curb after having issues and didn't correct the lane markings to match.

They could also raise the height make it more like a jersey barrier in height so it is easier to see.

Hope you can get your car repaired quickly.

Belgium is known in Europe to have really strange road standards. This includes i.e. 8 lane motorways which might make sense in America but when you can only overtake from the left it is all a bit off and leads to lots of unnecessary lane changes. They also have weird left turning and right turning lanes which just pop out of nowhere.

There is a reason it is designed that way. There is a left turn from the cross street or exit ramp they are trying to keep from ending up in the turn lane unintentionally. Granted this isn't a good design but they were trying to solve one problem, however created another one. You can see what they are trying to do better on the other side of the overpass as it is not hidden by the shadow. It isn't an uncommon design although they shouldn't have the dashed line before it. I wonder if they added the curb after having issues and didn't correct the lane markings to match.

They could also raise the height make it more like a jersey barrier in height so it is easier to see.

The simplest fix is to paint it bright yellow and to put up a permanent cone thing on the end

Reactions: holmgang
Man, I came in here ready to talk some smack and say "if you can't see, you should slow down or stop", but that is a RIDICULOUS road situation there.

Same here. I gotta say - 99 out of 100 times I say things like this are the driver’s fault. But that’s garbage.

Some reflective posts or stanchions should be installed on that island posthaste. That’s a horrible design.

The lane markings also shouldn’t begin before the island, either. Completely misleading.

Very sorry to see this damage. I think it’d be a hard time getting the city to pay for it (it’s always a hard time) but this needs to be reported as an unsafe condition for sure.

Reactions: run-the-joules

Their reason can be legitimate, their solution is completely wrong.

If you want to guide left-turning vehicles a certain way, you just mark the lanes so.

It should have been a solid line against the island instead of a dotted line which would cause confusion with any driver. It was an honest mistake.

Hope your repairs are not too bad and not 16k as someone mentioned earlier.

That dotted line shouldn't be there, as that indicates vehicles can use that lane. Then, the curb on the island needs to be painted bright yellow, and it should be tapered, not that hard edge which will cause damage. That still doesn't explain why they need to have the median fatten there to begin with. Poor road design.