TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Broken windshield wipers?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by MarcG, Dec 29, 2014.

1. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

When I got to the ski resort this morning, I placed my windshield wipers in service mode so I could raise the riper arms.
    However when tried to raise them they wouldn't budge past a couple of inches off the windshield, so I exercised a little more force.

In doing so, I heard a loud metallic pop and thought I broke something.
    However it seems that I am left with a spring and a hook in my hands, so I'm hoping it's not broken.

Has as anyone seen this before, and if so, do you have any tips on how to reattach it?

2. Zextraterrestrial

ooh, you should have offered to take me :tongue:

I don't think you can raise the wipers off the window and keep them 'up' (unless you put something under them to keep them raised)
    not sure about reattaching?(sorry) but next time just do service mode to keep the wipers from freezing into the lower area

3. ohaq

ohaq Model S #P9,326

#3 ohaq, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    Once I had heavy slush, turning on the wipers broke the thing (metalic/aluminum) where it rotates. Service replaced it. Not sure if yours might be the same.

Update: This is what was listed on the Tesla invoice
    Cause: Wiper transmission frame broken at far left body mounting tab
    Correction: Wiper Motor Assembly: I replaced wiper motor and transmission assembly.

4. Zextraterrestrial

ok, Spring and hook? I think the spring has hooks on both ends normally and there is just the one hinged point where it lifts up from, the arm almost will stay up, but won't. probably broken if you have 2 pieces of spring material?

5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

The Model S wipers can only be raised an inch or two off of the glass. They cannot be "stood up" like on many other cars.

6. paintpolisher

paintpolisher Banned

Someone I know :) did the same to his wife's TMS. Take into service center to have the spring re attached. I battled with my spring for a while with vice grip needle nose pliers, no luck.

7. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

#7 MarcG, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    Thank you all for the helpful responses.

I spoke to Tesla tech support and they confirmed that nothing was broken, it was just the hook and spring that came apart.
    To reattach them the wiper arm needed to be removed, and even then the spring was super tight so a few tools were required.

Thanks again everyone!

8. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

This just kills me. I love my car, but why can't they use a wiper design that has been around forever and is proven to work. The inability to raise the wipers makes it really hard to clean the blades well. And...apparently it causes problems like this! Along with the Frunk, another item to not touch.

But yes, I still love my girl! Time for counseling.

9. fawu

fawu Member

The same happened to me (or better, I did the same to me) while on a ski vacation in the middle of the Rockies far far away from any Service Center. I removed the wiper arm and tried to get the spring back on - which was hopeless...the spring is way too strong.

I put some stronger rubber band in instead, but my 500 mile return trip was still miserable. Realized that working wipers in winter weather are quite essential.
    My Service Center fixed it at no cost after my return, but I've learned my lesson.