Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BSA Electronics Dryer Buddy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I showed a few electricians the Plus Auto Dryer Buddy when I was getting quotes for a new outlet installation.

They all told me it would be “dangerous to use the dryer buddy”... with no real explanation. I’m assuming they saw it and knew that’s all I would really need, and hurts their business opp with me anyway ha

One electrician thought the dryer buddy was ingenious! Said there was nothing dangerous about using it as long as it auto switched if they ever ran at same time.
Gotta love honest contractors... I ended up working with him (go figure)

Reactions: Evoforce
I showed a few electricians the Plus Auto Dryer Buddy when I was getting quotes for a new outlet installation.

They all told me it would be “dangerous to use the dryer buddy”... with no real explanation. I’m assuming they saw it and knew that’s all I would really need, and hurts their business opp with me anyway ha

One electrician thought the dryer buddy was ingenious! Said there was nothing dangerous about using it as long as it auto switched if they ever ran at same time.

Not UL rated. Hand built by a single person.

Neat product, but I have a hard time recommending them due to the previous two statements.

He produces a number of versions of it that encourage configurations where the user must be knowledgeable to manually set charging voltage lower.

Now if he focused on a few key (safe) versions and scaled up automated production and got UL certification then this would be a totally different story.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Not UL rated. Hand built by a single person.

Neat product, but I have a hard time recommending them due to the previous two statements.

He produces a number of versions of it that encourage configurations where the user must be knowledgeable to manually set charging voltage lower.

Now if he focused on a few key (safe) versions and scaled up automated production and got UL certification then this would be a totally different story.

What are your thoughts on the Plus Auto version? Where there is no manual setting/switching to my understanding.

Agreed. I'm surprised nobody else has jumped on this yet. Should be a viable business now given the number of cars sold. Although, it appears that Neocharge is working on UL certification, but they too offer some questionable versions ...

Agreed. I'm surprised nobody else has jumped on this yet. Should be a viable business now given the number of cars sold. Although, it appears that Neocharge is working on UL certification, but they too offer some questionable versions ...

I had not seen the neocharge before.

Their FAQ leaves something to be desired:

Screen Shot 2019-04-30 at 10.21.06 AM.png

??????

What type of installation did he do and what was the cost?

What type of installation did he do and what was the cost?

So my situation was unique. My panel was in the laundry room inside in an enclosed cabinet. Totally against code. And tiny like 100 amps (I have a small house, so it’s been relatively fine)

I’m getting a new 200 amp panel and it’ll be on exterior of house directly behind the old one. Turning the existing old panel inside into junction box.
Also gonna need a new meter to support the panel.
Then of course installing the NEMA 14-50 right next to both the new panel & meter outside.

I got quotes from several electric companies. One was even $9,000 and I laughed.

The one I ended up going with had tons of reviews and recommendations from neighbors... ended up being $2000 for the new panel upgrade and $375 for the NEMA 14-50 install. $2375 total... Pretty reasonable IMO.
Hell, originally just thought I needed the outlet and $375 was a solid price compared to some at $600-$900 just for the outlet!

Reactions: Parkjhmd
Dryer Buddy is good. It is the other type split non switched connector that has potential problems.
Mostly disagree. That's why this needs careful explanation. The basic version of the Dryer Buddy IS the same thing as one of those split non-switched connectors. People hear about these and go for that, not realizing the important things that the better versions offer.
What are your thoughts on the Plus Auto version? Where there is no manual setting/switching to my understanding.
That's the only version of it that I would recommend, because it is built to be foolproof and not rely on any human having to remember to do or not do something. And as @eprosenx mentioned, with the kind of not quite resolved weird behavior some of the Model 3 software versions have had, the car has these spastic random frequent charging sessions that are not at the scheduled time you set. So even if you're expecting it not to charge until midnight, it may do so a few times anyway before then.

That's the only version of it that I would recommend, because it is built to be foolproof and not rely on any human having to remember to do or not do something.
I think the regular (non-auto) Plus version with the manual switch is also fine. It's just as safe and, assuming the box is mounted close to the dryer, the inconvenience is minimal. In some cases full manual control of the switching might be preferable (e.g. if you have a high-efficiency dryer which may cause the Auto version to switch multiple times during a dryer cycle). I'm using a DIY switchbox with a switch and it's just fine.

I think the regular (non-auto) Plus version with the manual switch is also fine. It's just as safe and, assuming the box is mounted close to the dryer, the inconvenience is minimal. In some cases full manual control of the switching might be preferable (e.g. if you have a high-efficiency dryer which may cause the Auto version to switch multiple times during a dryer cycle). I'm using a DIY switchbox with a switch and it's just fine.
Yes, that is true. Plus is an A or B toggle, so it does include the needed safety part of it. The AUTO part is just for convenience, like if you forget to flip the switch back after finishing laundry, your car might miss charging overnight, which would be a frustration.

Reactions: dougb00
In some cases full manual control of the switching might be preferable (e.g. if you have a high-efficiency dryer which may cause the Auto version to switch multiple times during a dryer cycle).
From what I have read of the operation of it, that would not be how it works. Or rather, you would have things swapped, with the devices plugged into the wrong outlets of the device. You're thinking it would flip if the current draw goes low, like if the dryer heating turns off. But actually it flips if the current goes high.

There is the one outlet that would be priority on by default. That should be the dryer. It will detect on the secondary outlet, which should be the car charging. If it starts to ramp up the current, then it will lock out the other outlet until the charging is done, which should be a long continuous draw.

From what I have read of the operation of it, that would not be how it works. Or rather, you would have things swapped, with the devices plugged into the wrong outlets of the device. You're thinking it would flip if the current draw goes low, like if the dryer heating turns off. But actually it flips if the current goes high.
Obviously it flips back when the load goes low again. ;)

The way it works is that the dryer outlet has priority, i.e. as soon as a load is detected, the box will disconnect the EVSE outlet. If the load temporarily drops to a low value during the dryer cycle, the EVSE outlet will be reconnected and the car may start charging. Then when the dryer load goes up again, it would be disconnected again and so on. Not a big deal, but disconnecting the EVSE under high load is not a good thing.

Of course, as you wrote, the downside of a manual switch is that the car may miss a charge if you forget to switch back after the dryer is finished.

Yes, it is a one-man shop. basically, he charges a few hundred dollars, you have to pay upfront, and there is no customer service, no warranty, no returns, nothing. if something goes wrong he will "negotiate" with you.

After months of waiting and my emails getting ignored, I ordered a neocharger. arrives in 10 calendar days, works like a charm, and has a proper warranty and return policies. It also looks much better than the ugly gray box this guy makes.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for the little guy running his small business, but it this case the service is way too low in quality. If he ever fulfills my order, I am just gonna put it on eBay.

Do yourself a favor, save money and time and don't order a dryer buddy!

Reza A. (Balto) I reviewed our email exchange and can't figure out why you are bashing a small company behind it's back, I worked with you and sent many responses to your emails, you seemed satisfied and pleasant to work with and now are claiming "There is no customer service, no returns, no warranty" all of which are untrue, why do you feel the need to damage my company? Your post is nearly identical to another you posted on another forum under Reza. This account (Balto) was created between the time period of emails between us, with only a few post, was this just to bash me? For transparency and for the group to evaluate here is a copy and paste of our email exchange:

BSA Electronics

Mon 4/22/2019 11:40 PM

· Reza A

Dear Reza,

Thanks for the kind words, sorry to here of your family catching the Flu as well.

Your package was dropped off at USPS late tonight, it should be processed tomorrow with tracking updating later tomorrow. It cost me more but I sent it via USPS as a few of my Canadian customer have said the fees are lower and they don't charger a broker fee like UPS.

My sincerest apologizes for the delay. Thank you for your patience.

Cheers
Brad Apelgren
Owner - BSA Electronics

Business days: Mon – Fri, closed weekends and holidays

Facebook page: http://tinyurl.com/bsa101

My online store: https://www.bsaelectronics.com

My org. PDF catalog: http://tinyurl.com/bsaelectronics

Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2019 7:08 AM
To: BSA Electronics
Subject: Re: Order #2292 confirmed

Hi Brad,

I did not receive your email below, but as long as our communication is open it is all fine.

We got hit with the flu as well. I hope the little ones are feeling better and your business trip went well. please let me know when you make the shipment because I need to arrange for customs clearance and payment on it.

Cheers,

Reza

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 1:56 PM BSA Electronics <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Reza,

Please confirm you received the email below, I need to know if my emails are getting to you.

Cheers
Brad Apelgren
Owner - BSA Electronics

Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 1:53 PM
To: Reza A

Dear Reza,

Thanks for touching base, you must have missed my email on the 6th, please have a look in you spam folder, her is a copy and past of it:

BSA Electronics

Sat 4/6/2019 10:45 PM

· reza@******.net

Greetings from BSA,

Your unit is coming along nicely. I had planned on completing and sending your order before my upcoming business trip. Unfortunately I have had a hard 2 weeks, everyone in the house is very sick including my three young children. This has slowed the process down. Rest assured your build is going well, it's just taking a little longer than expected. I am leaving on a Business trip today for a week and will be back Monday April 15th. I plan to ship your order by the end of that week. My sincerest apologizes for the delay. Thank you for your patience.

I know you had been waiting for a while so I upgraded your case to my new enclosure, a premium polycarbonate case with more mounting options and more room for future customization, it also features a premium aluminum cable gland.

Let me know how you like your unit once you receive it and get a chance to use it. Thank you so much for your business and support. My family and I really appreciate it!

Cheers
Brad Apelgren
Owner - BSA Electronics

Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 4:26 AM
To: BSA Electronics

Hi Brad,

My order is now 10 days late, and you are not answering my emails. I am starting to get worried. is everything ok?

Regards,

Reza

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 10:15 AM Reza A <areza@******.com> wrote:

Good morning Brad,

Would you mind giving me an update to the status of my order below, please? Based on the calendar calculator provided, it should have been ready yesterday. I am not in a rush but wanted to make sure everything is in order.

Regards,
Reza

BSA Electronics

Sat 4/6/2019 10:45 PM

· reza@****.net;

Greetings from BSA,

Your unit is coming along nicely. I had planned on completing and sending your order before my upcoming business trip. Unfortunately I have had a hard 2 weeks, everyone in the house is very sick including my three young children. This has slowed the process down. Rest assured your build is going well, it's just taking a little longer than expected. I am leaving on a Business trip today for a week and will be back Monday April 15th. I plan to ship your order by the end of that week. My sincerest apologizes for the delay. Thank you for your patience.

I know you had been waiting for a while so I upgraded your case to my new enclosure, a premium polycarbonate case with more mounting options and more room for future customization, it also features a premium aluminum cable gland.

Let me know how you like your unit once you receive it and get a chance to use it. Thank you so much for your business and support. My family and I really appreciate it!

Cheers
Brad Apelgren
Owner - BSA Electronics

• Informative
Just ordered mine from bsa electronics. Brad is a good guy. I ordered Saturday this passed weekend. We spoke on Tuesday about my order. I just got notification mine shipped. Thankfully I can start monitoring my electricity use with his product. The stats app is wigging out and not consistently counting my kwh.