Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BSA Electronics Dryer Buddy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone ordered the Dryer Buddy from BSA Electronics recently, as in mid-July to mid-August time frame?
I've ordered one on July 26 and the build time then was 23 work days, thinking it would be in time for my new 3. Well, the car came early and it's now over that 23 work days and there has been absolutely no update. Sent email and no response for over a week. So I am wondering if anyone has any luck getting their Dryer Buddy recently?

I purchased a Dryer Buddy back on 7/5 and received it on 8/10. It seems like the company consists of literally one dude, and he's probably backlogged on orders. In my case he blamed the delay on waiting for a needed part from his supplier.

I purchased a Dryer Buddy back on 7/5 and received it on 8/10. It seems like the company consists of literally one dude, and he's probably backlogged on orders. In my case he blamed the delay on waiting for a needed part from his supplier.

Others have reported him to be very prompt in the past, so I suspect he is just overwhelmed is my guess with all the new Model 3's out there.

Thanks for your input. It does look to be a one-man shop. When I first checked out the website the build time was 9 days. By the time I ordered it went up to 23. I suspect he's getting really busy with all these new 3's getting to the owners. Just wish there were some way to track the order or an update on the situation. I will just keep waiting.

Yes, it is a one-man shop. basically, he charges a few hundred dollars, you have to pay upfront, and there is no customer service, no warranty, no returns, nothing. if something goes wrong he will "negotiate" with you.

After months of waiting and my emails getting ignored, I ordered a neocharger. arrives in 10 calendar days, works like a charm, and has a proper warranty and return policies. It also looks much better than the ugly gray box this guy makes.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for the little guy running his small business, but it this case the service is way too low in quality. If he ever fulfills my order, I am just gonna put it on eBay.

Do yourself a favor, save money and time and don't order a dryer buddy!

Here's what I did.... After waiting and not getting much response from BSA, I ended up getting a dryer splitter from amazon... Works perfectly fine with UMC...
Screenshot_20190421-163436.png

Last edited:
Here's what I did.... After waiting and not getting much response from BSA, I ended up getting a dryer splitter from amazon... Works perfectly fine with UMC...View attachment 399268

This thing is great if you want to burn down your house. It connects two devices to one NEMA 14-30, which can easily overload the circuit. Furthermore, it allows connecting 50A device to a 30A circuit. Using both sockets at the same time you can overload a 30A circuit with 80A. In this case, the breaker is your only line of defense. If it is faulty you will start a fire. If you care about yourself and your loved ones, don't use such a product. Safety standards are there for a reason.

This thing is great if you want to burn down your house. It connects two devices to one NEMA 14-30, which can easily overload the circuit. Furthermore, it allows connecting 50A device to a 30A circuit. Using both sockets at the same time you can overload a 30A circuit with 80A. In this case, the breaker is your only line of defense. If it is faulty you will start a fire. If you care about yourself and your loved ones, don't use such a product. Safety standards are there for a reason.

I agree that the female 14-50 receptacle should not be part of this, but it's important to note that the base dryer buddy is still basically just a splitter like this is. Back when I purchased one, I didn't realize you needed to get upgrades to switch the power source, and I ended up tripping my breaker when simultaneously charging and using the dryer.

I agree that the female 14-50 receptacle should not be part of this, but it's important to note that the base dryer buddy is still basically just a splitter like this is. Back when I purchased one, I didn't realize you needed to get upgrades to switch the power source, and I ended up tripping my breaker when simultaneously charging and using the dryer.

That's true. Anything that splits a 30A socket without a switch is dangerous. It should be illegal to sell those things.

Reactions: Rocky_H
My dryer buddy showed up today, right at 8 weeks after I ordered.

It’s nice. Installed in 5 min and it’s working well. Powers the car when the dryer isn’t going, and cuts power to the car automatically when I turn the dryer on. I like it so far, just what I was looking for.

With 110v I was getting 5 miles range per hour. Now it’s 24 mph with 240v.

As long as I use only the dryer or charger, I'm not sure what the issue will be. As long as I'm not using both at the same time, this is essentially what the dryer buddy is at 1/3 the cost

Yeah, I don't see what the problem with this would be if you KNOW you will never use both the dryer and charger at the same time...
Is it ever dangerous if that's the case? I mean, it's essentially just a splitter.

Yeah, I don't see what the problem with this would be if you KNOW you will never use both the dryer and charger at the same time...
Is it ever dangerous if that's the case? I mean, it's essentially just a splitter.
You think you know you will never use both at the same time. You remember that there was something you left in the car so you go out to get it. When you open the door to the car, it turns the car on. Say it happens to be winter. The heat settings are still on in the car, so it fires up the heating, drawing 25A from the charging circuit while your dryer is still running. You thought it wouldn't draw from that circuit because you didn't have the actual charging scheduled until later at night, but you forgot that opening the door could turn on the heat and activate that draw.

Any form of these splitters that could have both active at the same time aren't good.

• Informative
Reactions: duanra
You think you know you will never use both at the same time. You remember that there was something you left in the car so you go out to get it. When you open the door to the car, it turns the car on. Say it happens to be winter. The heat settings are still on in the car, so it fires up the heating, drawing 25A from the charging circuit while your dryer is still running. You thought it wouldn't draw from that circuit because you didn't have the actual charging scheduled until later at night, but you forgot that opening the door could turn on the heat and activate that draw.

Any form of these splitters that could have both active at the same time aren't good.

True true. Yes, I can see many scenarios like this playing out. I guess it just depends on the individual. For me personally, IF I were to even go down this route of using a splitter, I would ONLY ever charge my car at night from like 10pm - 7am. And during those times, I'm never using the dryer anyway (only do laundry on the weekend during the day... so car wouldn't be charging anyway)

But if you're someone who's doing a lot of laundry and periodically throughout the week, then yes... I can see this not being an ideal option at all.

I would ONLY ever charge my car at night from like 10pm - 7am. And during those times, I'm never using the dryer anyway
Again with you thinking that the charging cycle is the only thing that could draw current. I just pointed out that any other time you open the car door for some reason, it could turn on the heat and activate the circuit.

The Plus and Plus AUTO versions of Dryer Buddy are available to solve this problem, so I just don't see why someone would avoid getting the right version if they're set on getting a Dryer Buddy anyway.

That's a lot of what if statements that need to come together.