Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BSA Electronics Dryer Buddy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Again with you thinking that the charging cycle is the only thing that could draw current. I just pointed out that any other time you open the car door for some reason, it could turn on the heat and activate the circuit.

The Plus and Plus AUTO versions of Dryer Buddy are available to solve this problem, so I just don't see why someone would avoid getting the right version if they're set on getting a Dryer Buddy anyway.
Simple, don't turn on pre-condition or HVAC.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Again with you thinking that the charging cycle is the only thing that could draw current. I just pointed out that any other time you open the car door for some reason, it could turn on the heat and activate the circuit.

The Plus and Plus AUTO versions of Dryer Buddy are available to solve this problem, so I just don't see why someone would avoid getting the right version if they're set on getting a Dryer Buddy anyway.

Completely understand. And if I do go down this route, I would get the Plus AUTO version.
I'm also wondering though... even if used 100% properly and correctly, are there any dangers/issues to using a Dryer Buddy? Like overloading a small old panel, melted outlets etc...

That's a lot of what if statements that need to come together.
It's opening the car door while your dryer is running. You find that outlandishly strange or unusual?

Simple, don't turn on pre-condition or HVAC.
Ha ha HA! You expect people to not use the heat in their cars in the winter? That's pretty psychotic. Most people don't bother to turn the HVAC system off before getting out of the car.

Completely understand. And if I do go down this route, I would get the Plus AUTO version.
I'm also wondering though... even if used 100% properly and correctly, are there any dangers/issues to using a Dryer Buddy? Like overloading a small old panel, melted outlets etc...
If you get the switching version like that, then no, it wouldn't have any issues like that, because it's still just a regular 30A outlet. It's not overdrawing the circuit as it was already set up.

It's opening the car door while your dryer is running. You find that outlandishly strange or unusual?

Yes, because if someone is using this set up their car is near the dryer do they either started the dryer or should reasonably be able to determine the dryer is running since the car will be near it.
Ha ha HA! You expect people to not use the heat in their cars in the winter? That's pretty psychotic. Most people don't bother to turn the HVAC system off before getting out of the car.

Seeing as the poster is in Texas they aren't worrying about negative temp, or even single digit temps. Also, again, if the person has this set up then they know when the dryer is running. Why would they have the dryer running when they're getting ready to leave? And if the person has this set up then they turn off the auto heat because that's the sacrifice they make by running this set up.

You'd also have to pull all of that current while the heater is running on the car and the dryer, just because a dryer is running doesn't mean the heating element is running, they cycle. So you'd have to have your HVAC set to turn on when you open the car, you'd have to have the dryer running, and the dryer element would have to be heating, at least three things in order for this to work. The simple thing is turn off the HVAC to come on with the door, problem solved, you dont need to run HVAC in the car while it's sitting in a garage anyway.

Seeing as the poster is in Texas they aren't worrying about negative temp, or even single digit temps.
You have some of the strangest ideas. You think people only run the heat if the temperatures are single digits or below? That's good of you to reassure all of the people of north Texas that the sleet and freezing rain they have is just a figment of their imagination.
Sleet, freezing rain create icy North Texas roads

Why would they have the dryer running when they're getting ready to leave?
Not everyone is single. Some people have other people who live in the same house. They are called "family".

But anyway, you made one decent point--that the car and dryer would be near each other, so most of the time hopefully that would be reminder enough to not go open the car door while the dryer is running or to shut off the dryer first.

You have some of the strangest ideas. You think people only run the heat if the temperatures are single digits or below? That's good of you to reassure all of the people of north Texas that the sleet and freezing rain they have is just a figment of their imagination.
Sleet, freezing rain create icy North Texas roads

You had to pull an article from 2015? Dude, no one is dying if they wait to get in the car before turning the heat on. It's part of the compromise of having this set up, can't run both at the same time. Also if your using the dryer connection, I'm willing to bet the car is in the garage and not subject to the few days a year it actually gets really cold.so the temps are in the 50 or 60s at best in a garage

Not everyone is single. Some people have other people who live in the same house. They are called "family".

But anyway, you made one decent point--that the car and dryer would be near each other, so most of the time hopefully that would be reminder enough to not go open the car door while the dryer is running or to shut off the dryer first.

Or shut off HVAC, preconditioning, and whatnot and never have to worry about it. Again, these kinds of setups are a compromise, this is just another one of them. If someone can't handle something that simply perhaps the deserve to have the breaker trip, or their house burn down.

Note that recent Tesla firmware updates have changed the behavior such that the Tesla randomly kicks off re-charging throughout the night when it is plugged in. So I come home and plug in, it charges, and then an hour after it is done it kicks back in and charges again for about a minute. It sometimes will do this every hour as well.

Not sure if it is a bug or intended operation.

The point being, you can’t really trust the Tesla.

But I also would call out I don’t think the splitter is the most dangerous thing in the world if managed properly by a single person. Perhaps set the rule that you don’t run laundry when the car is plugged in.

UL and the NEC never would want you to do something like this as you should never trust humans to not make mistakes. :)

Btw I have not read the whole thread here. Have we ruled out just adding a new circuit dedicated for car charging?

I generally feel that a dedicate circuit (even if only say 20a at 240v) is superior to spending money on things like dryer buddy.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
My charger shows it is operating for about a minute now and then but it also seems that something in the car ( fan etc ) is running at the same time so I wonder if the charger is supplying power to the car for that to save the battery but the actual charging only occurs at the scheduled time?

My charger shows it is operating for about a minute now and then but it also seems that something in the car ( fan etc ) is running at the same time so I wonder if the charger is supplying power to the car for that to save the battery but the actual charging only occurs at the scheduled time?

So using my Sense Home Energy Monitor I can see that it is drawing the full 48 amps. The only thing that can sink that much power in my car is battery charging just FYI. The heaters can't pull that much. Good idea though!

Hell, at this point through this thread I'm scared to even use the Dryer Buddy Plus AUTO... getting paranoid now that I'm gonna burn the house down or electrocute myself trying to use this thing properly.

I have the auto. It's completely obvious which is being powered. if somehow, they were both powered, which isn't how it works. it would be apparent. And, I'd expect the breaker to trip. I get that isn't the primary plan, but that is actually why the circuit breaker exists.