Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BTX8 battery-code on a 75D... or is it a 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I must admit being puzzled. I ordered my car middle of August, it went into production schedule last week so it is very VERY recent.
And still, the codes are giving me: BTX5, APH2 (not the 3) and BR00.

How is it possible that my 75D which is currently in production so much more recent than ALL the other 75D we are speaking in this thread would not have the AP upgrade (nor the battery upgrade)?

I am living in Switzerland so would it be possible that they would build according "old" specs for Switzerland versus other cars going to Europe?
i ordered mine 75D here in Italy on 27 of july: the APH2 code changed to APH3 during production (entered 23/8/2017 and completed 28/8/2017)
nut battery BTX5 remained as it iwas.

FWIW, there have been 20 Model S and 25 Model X BXT7 / BR05 inventory cars to date, the first of them being added in March, based on the ev-cpo search of archived records. And I assume far more that never made it into the inventory.

So even though there's a report of (one of) these having a 75KWH, 350V sticker, there must be something different about them compared the to the BTX5.

And it seems like a big coincidence that the BTX8s going to Europe (total over 230 inventory MS to date) seem to all be 85KWH.

I wish Telsa was more transparent about what they have been shipping for about 6 months now.

Reactions: croman
When I pick the car up next week, how easy is it to see the sticker behind the right hand side front wheel? Just so I'm not messing around at the dealership and then I can ask them why it has the 85kwh battery sticker (mine says BTX8 on spec sheet)

Reactions: Mjølner
When I pick the car up next week, how easy is it to see the sticker behind the right hand side front wheel? Just so I'm not messing around at the dealership and then I can ask them why it has the 85kwh battery sticker (mine says BTX8 on spec sheet)
Easy to get a photo if you turn the wheels all the way to the left. Sometimes the sticker is partially obstructed but you can take a full photo at an angle.

Stupid question alert - But if these actually are 85kwh batteries, does that mean that the 'usable battery' will be a genuine 75kwh? Rather than the suspected 72.6kwh that @wk057 has quoted previously?
Its a good question. I bet Jason or someone actually did the math here although I think individual batteries vary slightly so you would be looking at a mean value and some distribution around it. Not sure that has been done.

Also interesting that the usable battery degrades slightly over time, so it isn't like the usable amount is fixed, more like it is some percentage of the total battery capacity.

Stupid question alert - But if these actually are 85kwh batteries, does that mean that the 'usable battery' will be a genuine 75kwh? Rather than the suspected 72.6kwh that @wk057 has quoted previously?

I doubt it. The software limited battery is supposed to deliver the same range as the pack it replaces, so I'd expect to see it having the same usable energy.

I think the software limited 60s were EPA rated for two more miles than the original 60s...

My norwegian 75D built sometime in august (and is now on its way across the sea) says BTX5.

Could this BTX8 stuff just be a phase for tesla to get rid of old stock 85's?

I strongly doubt they had a large stock of left over 85 batteries. When they phase out an old battery, they keep production going with the old battery until supplies are exhausted. When the 85 was phased out, they announced it was going away and kept building them for a month or so.

They have made a stock of older battery packs for service swaps, but that wouldn't make sense for all the 85s appearing in Europe.

I suspect all the 75s being built today have new 85/90s using the new modules and they are putting old stickers on them until they make the announcement, then they will replace the sticker with the correct one at a service appointment. In the US consumer protection laws are different from the EU, so they may need to put a different false sticker on the American packs. I could be wrong, Tesla could be in legal trouble in some places if they are doing that.

I wonder what people are seeing in Asia, Australia, and New Zealand. There has been very little contribution from those places in this thread.

I suspect all the 75s being built today have new 85/90s using the new modules and they are putting old stickers on them until they make the announcement, then they will replace the sticker with the correct one at a service appointment. In the US consumer protection laws are different from the EU, so they may need to put a different false sticker on the American packs. I could be wrong, Tesla could be in legal trouble in some places if they are doing that.

I wonder what people are seeing in Asia, Australia, and New Zealand. There has been very little contribution from those places in this thread.

Great thought, maybe we can get pictures of the battery pack? Any distinguishing difference we can determine if they are playing the so game!?

I wanna win!!!! I think you have something going here

I strongly doubt they had a large stock of left over 85 batteries. When they phase out an old battery, they keep production going with the old battery until supplies are exhausted. When the 85 was phased out, they announced it was going away and kept building them for a month or so.

They have made a stock of older battery packs for service swaps, but that wouldn't make sense for all the 85s appearing in Europe.

This makes sense to me. But who knows? Strange things have happened before.

I don't believe that there is any legal requirement to put a sticker on the battery at all? And arguably an 85 pack, software limited to 75, is still a 75 pack. So I don't know how Tesla could be falling afoul of any laws. What did they do when the went from 60 to 70? It was a similar situation.