Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bubble formed on screen ... :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I get into my car this afternoon and notice this on the upper left portion of the MCU screen:

IMG_20190725_180622.jpg

This wasn't here yesterday and I can only assume it's a bubble formed by....excessive heat? What I don't understand is that yes it is hot in San Diego right now but it's certainly not the first time it's been hot, and it's also not the hottest its ever been. My car wasn't even in direct sunlight for the majority of the day. Maybe age plays a factor? (this car is from 2013).

I do have extended warranty, is this something the SC will repair?

This is supposed to be repaired under warranty. It apparently needs a screen replacement. Yours is in a much worse location and larger than mine; mine is smaller, on the right side and hasn't obstructed the screen view yet, but yours is already obstructing the icons.

So I get into my car this afternoon and notice this on the upper left portion of the MCU screen:

IMG_20190725_180622.jpg

This wasn't here yesterday and I can only assume it's a bubble formed by....excessive heat? What I don't understand is that yes it is hot in San Diego right now but it's certainly not the first time it's been hot, and it's also not the hottest its ever been. My car wasn't even in direct sunlight for the majority of the day. Maybe age plays a factor? (this car is from 2013).

I do have extended warranty, is this something the SC will repair?

It's a well-known problem. It's been replaced (not repaired) under original warranty and ESA with no problems so far.

This issue popped up in my car (Early 2013 MS) just 2 weeks ago. It was very hot here in D.C. and the car was sitting outside a lot of the time while we moved.

My car is Out of Warranty, by about 6 months (CPO warranty to 84k miles). The Mobile Service Center is estimating a screen replacement is $1400, based on the pictures I sent them.

I've asked them for the potential impact if left in place for some time. That's a lot of cash to swallow just a few months out of warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: KidDoc
Oh yikes....I'm sorry that is awful. I wouldn't pay $1400 unless it started to impact the functionality of the screen (which I've not observed any of yet).

I'm surprised though that this is an issue unless again its just age related to the adhesive. Cars are...regularly parked outside in the sun. Even at Tesla's own service centers here all the cars are parked out in the sun. I can't imagine heat by itself can cause this issue.

The fluid is leaking out thats what caused the bubble. Pull your mcu and there should be some gooey stuff coming out somewhere. Rich rebuilds had this issue and he has a video on YouTube that shows this.

I am guessing it will happen to every '12 and '13 that sit in sunny heat for any time. I will say this in every new thread about it - these should seriously have a recall !!!
my car got F'd when I went to Arizona. Mine is used to 65-70F summers and can't handle the heat...like me :p
stuff starts dripping.

I've heard $800 for a screen in the past.
I would not pay over $500. Really should be a goodwill since they were not heat tested properly

Reactions: AMPd
I am guessing it will happen to every '12 and '13 that sit in sunny heat for any time. I will say this in every new thread about it - these should seriously have a recall !!!
my car got F'd when I went to Arizona. Mine is used to 65-70F summers and can't handle the heat...like me :p
stuff starts dripping.

I've heard $800 for a screen in the past.
I would not pay over $500. Really should be a goodwill since they were not heat tested properly
Enable cabin overheat protection and it might help

My car was sitting in the direct California heat for months at the Tesla SC last summer. It developed the bubble on the instrument panel screen. Tesla denied the problem is caused by heat when I asked if they could fix it under goodwill. They said it will just happen with time. Interesting that they also quoted me around $1400...the same price people are being quoted for the entire 17” screen.

My car was sitting in the direct California heat for months at the Tesla SC last summer. It developed the bubble on the instrument panel screen. Tesla denied the problem is caused by heat when I asked if they could fix it under goodwill. They said it will just happen with time. Interesting that they also quoted me around $1400...the same price people are being quoted for the entire 17” screen.
Bull Sheeeet
what the frunk. will just happen with time?

what else should we be expecting to do what over time? really would like to know.
will the coolant drain from my car?
I guess my tires will go flat if I don't fill them regularly. Does my screen just need refilling? cool

Reactions: Dublin 'Eer