Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bubble on instrument cluster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This just started on by late-2014 P85 w/ 158k miles. Definitely out of warranty but I'll probably bite the bullet and get it fixed because I hate looking at bubbles. The quote for repair was something like $1,200 for the screen and $100 for labor.

The IC screens they are using now have a much newer part number (-P rev I think). Does anyone here know whether the newer IC screens are better in some way? In particular, I'm hoping for better contrast to get a darker background. I would sure feel better about the cost of the repair if the screen was visually improved in the process.

I noticed this bubble a few days ago, only visible when AP warning is flashing, at least for now :(

Attachments

• A26728B0-BAA0-41BF-AA59-2F67D9B6FC20.jpeg
    A26728B0-BAA0-41BF-AA59-2F67D9B6FC20.jpeg
    854.2 KB · Views: 475
For the older Model S drivers screen bubble I carefully took off the glass and removed the adhesive. The adhesive is nasty stuff, remove as much as possible and I used Vaseline Jelly and a tooth brush on the LCD. Be careful not to was anything that can damage or absorb into the screen.

So how well did your repair job hold up? Any ill effects from removing the adhesive and protective glass? I have the same problem and am considering doing what you did instead of replacing the entire thing.

Same issue here.
For now just 2 small bubbles but it will not improve! And of course my p85 is out of warranty
Did anyone else tried to remove the screen protector?
There are pre owned screens parts on eBay, (approx 250 USD). It is possible/ easy to replace the screen with such one?

I’ve had bubbles on the center screen, but first time this happened on the instrument cluster screen. Anyone have this replaced by Tesla out of warranty?

Attachments

• 8E17EFD2-F10B-4137-8CEC-685A518BA4C5.jpeg
    8E17EFD2-F10B-4137-8CEC-685A518BA4C5.jpeg
    323 KB · Views: 412
  • FA443D0E-1BA0-4B73-B686-6CF8FE16A93B.jpeg
    FA443D0E-1BA0-4B73-B686-6CF8FE16A93B.jpeg
    597.7 KB · Views: 386
I’ve had bubbles on the center screen, but first time this happened on the instrument cluster screen. Anyone have this replaced by Tesla out of warranty?

Wow, that is pretty bad. Hopefully someone can chime in with an answer, however I don’t know of anyone who’s had it changed out without warranty coverage. My instrument cluster screen is very slowly getting worse, although I’m sure when very hot temperatures hit it will speed up,

Wow, that is pretty bad. Hopefully someone can chime in with an answer, however I don’t know of anyone who’s had it changed out without warranty coverage. My instrument cluster screen is very slowly getting worse, although I’m sure when very hot temperatures hit it will speed up,

What’s crazy is this wasn’t gradual at all. Had it for over 6 years now and then suddenly just became like this over the last 2 days.

184E4A23-7D81-4C8A-9A5B-E0976C3A3900.jpeg

So two reasons for posting this pic: for a better look at my bubbling, and to ask why the service center would pump my tires up so high??
I noticed when I drove away that the ride was a little rough, but figured I got spoiled with the loaner 2018 S with air suspension. Since they rotated the tires it took a few minutes for the pressures to update.

If you are concerned, please send the following information to [email protected]:
1. Date of purchase
2. Vin#
3. Warranty Status (in or out)
Date informed Tesla, and
Best Contact info

@Driven+ Have you been successful at compiling a list? Should we put together a public list using a google sheet to get this going?

BTW, just picked up a 2014 S 85 this weekend from Carvana with the bubble issue. Going to see if their 100-day warranty will cover it.

I have a 2013, and while I haven't had any bubbles in the instrument cluster screen, I did have bubbles in the 17" touchscreen. They started 3 months out of warranty, so I chose to ignore it. After almost 2 years, adhesive was leaking out the bottom of the screen into the cubby, and potentially onto my wood yacht floor, which I obviously didn't want, so I took the yacht floor out of the car. It became such a nuisance that I decided to pay for a new screen. Prior to getting the new screen, I took out the cubby to clean off the adhesive that had been leaking there. I removed about 1/4 cup of sticky adhesive which was disgusting and a huge pain. I got the new screen at the end of May, and I put the yacht floor back in, and it all looked good. Now it's July and it's over 90 degrees here, and adhesive is once again leaking out worse than ever, forcing me to once again remove the yacht floor, even though I have a new screen! I think that adhesive from the old screen had collected somewhere else inside the dash, inaccessible to me, so I can't clean it out, and now it's leaking out once again with no end in sight.

I say this as a caution to people with instrument cluster bubbles. The adhesive might be leaking out inside the dashboard where you can't see. The longer you wait to replace it, the more adhesive will leak out. And when Tesla replaces it, they don't clean out the adhesive. From my experience, I really don't recommend waiting and allowing the leaking adhesive to collect somewhere you can't see, to become a nuisance later on.