Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bubble on instrument cluster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I woke up this morning to this exact issue on my IC 14p85D. We’ve had cabin overheat on since we took delivery 2 months ago. Was a Tesla CPO. Made an appt for this week to have it replaced but wanted to see if anyone was told by Tesla WHY it’s happening?

Our car was a CPO from Dallas where it was purchased and spent its first 4 years so it’s hard for me to believe it’s the Seattle heat that could have caused this when Dallas has much warmer summers.

...WHY it’s happening?...

Tesla has an S and X screen display problem.

There are layers on your screen that are held together by glue.

When those layers don't want to stick together, it allows glue to leak and air comes in to replace it.

Bubbles have been quite popular for earlier S and X.

Looks like they have fixed the leaking problem for the newer ones.

So the newer ones would now have the yellow border instead. The oxygen gets in the layers and turns the screen to yellow at the border.

It's still a glue problem but not a leaking problem anymore.

Your remedy is to replace your screen. Quite a few work really well for years until you sell to the next owner.

We had Zero bubbles on our now out of warranty 14 S. After a trip to the SC with them putting it in service mode for a week and parking my car in the hot sun, a bubble was there. I was told it would move and shrink. It doubled to 2 bubbles after 2 days. 3 days later there are 4 bubbles. If this had happened due to normal use I wouldn’t even be mad. They disabled overheat protection causing the issue.

We had Zero bubbles on our now out of warranty 14 S. After a trip to the SC with them putting it in service mode for a week and parking my car in the hot sun, a bubble was there. I was told it would move and shrink. It doubled to 2 bubbles after 2 days. 3 days later there are 4 bubbles. If this had happened due to normal use I wouldn’t even be mad. They disabled overheat protection causing the issue.

I'd say they owe you a replacement screen since they essentially "broke" yours. Would like them scratching the paint while it is in for service and saying paint defects are not covered under warranty. But to a lawyer, this isn't a warranty issue so much as it is a damages issue. Good luck getting them to fix it, I wish you the best in getting this amicably rectified.

@Driven+ Have you been successful at compiling a list? Should we put together a public list using a google sheet to get this going?

BTW, just picked up a 2014 S 85 this weekend from Carvana with the bubble issue. Going to see if their 100-day warranty will cover it.

@Shibiwan How was your Carvana experience, and how have your first few weeks of Tesla ownership been? I'm also in the process of buying from Carvana (15 MS70D) and it's been, um, challenging because neither myself nor any of the customer service reps can see the car in person. Any tips?

Also curious if Carvana's warranty covered the screen issue (or anything else that's bubbled up, haha). ... Too soon?

I too have bubbles in my 2012 Signature.
Can you please share your experience replacing the IC. How difficult is it?
Have you found a "How to" video on youtube perhaps?
Thx for sharing.
Pinny

I personally haven't replaced my IC via DIY or out of warranty, but here is a site for you to read up on how to remove it: Fix.My.EV: Tesla Model-S Repair Manual

If you do replace it, document and photograph the operation, then post it on the forums (assuming one doesn't exist already).

7B3F39A6-ADE0-407A-94A6-2470C0D9CBFB.jpeg
F2C7F420-2BEE-4656-9BCF-1077768CF70F.jpeg
9BCB55EE-C857-41D2-9C8D-15D1AA169C2B.jpeg
DED2F585-668F-4746-8DE5-D6F7B7C55CF0.jpeg
2014 P85DL 85,000 miles- just purchased I’m May from a private owner. After purchase, I noticed a small bubble in the upper right corner of the screen. It was barely noticeable except in the right lighting. Yesterday it was huge and looks like it is starting to drip. Going to have to call service and see what price they quote, as it looks like everyone gets a different deal..

@Shibiwan How was your Carvana experience, and how have your first few weeks of Tesla ownership been? I'm also in the process of buying from Carvana (15 MS70D) and it's been, um, challenging because neither myself nor any of the customer service reps can see the car in person. Any tips?

Also curious if Carvana's warranty covered the screen issue (or anything else that's bubbled up, haha). ... Too soon?

The Carvana experience is great. No haggling, no add-on fees etc. They also made me a great offer on my trade in, that's why I went that route. They did a good job following up on paperwork etc, and stayed in contact with me to make sure everything was correct.

Only complaint about Carvana are their monkeys who detailed the car prior to the sale. It was pretty badly done and there were obvious buff marks that weren't done right, and dried polishing compound in the drainage gaps all around the car. Easily fixed but I wish they had taken more care.

My advice is to inspect the car at delivery, have them document and fix anything that isn't right, there and then. You have the option of returning the car within 7 days so use that to your advantage. Walk away if you are not happy.

The warranty is provided by SilverRock, and there is a $50 deductible for any claim. I'm not too happy with them right now. My instrument panel is bubbling up and Tesla quoted me 1400 to fix it but didn't want to deal with 3rd party warranties.

Called Carvana and the guy there was really helpful and did some checking on my behalf and found a Tesla certified chain (Service King) that SilverRock would deal with. Took it there for a quote, which ended up to be $2800 (LOL) and that's where it sits. I have to call SilverRock soon with both quotes and see what they say.

They can either cut me a check for Tesla to fix it, or pay $1k more for me to take it to Service King. I'm not going to pay anything out of my pocket and try to get a reimbursement from SilverRock.

Update 8/30
Called SilverRock again and was lucky enough to get routed to a claims advisor. She says they deal with Tesla all the time and tells me to drive to the SC and talk to the staff there. Drove down to the service center by work and left specific instructions for my assigned service advisor to call and what the warranty company needs. Just got the call back from the service advisor that SilverRock will cover it in full.

Appointment made for next Thursday to replace the IC and the squeaky subcool fan. Let's see how it goes.

Last edited:
We just started having the instrument display issue last week. Have done many resets and it works for awhile. Today it came back up white and stayed like that for awhile then was very dim. There are bubbles around the edges like many of the rest of the posts here. Luckily Tesla found an open slot at the nearest SC for me tomorrow (over 60 miles away). The invoice they sent was over $1600 because I am out of warranty 61K 2015 Model S P85D. Seems like a lot of vehicles are having this issue and should be a recall?

Attachments

• C420C626-DB24-46F0-8EDC-9FFEA0975AD9.jpeg
    C420C626-DB24-46F0-8EDC-9FFEA0975AD9.jpeg
    336.8 KB · Views: 318
  • 9434335C-4974-4DAE-83F5-F83272E3338E.jpeg
    9434335C-4974-4DAE-83F5-F83272E3338E.jpeg
    295 KB · Views: 342
I just called my local SC and was quoted about $1500 for the replacement screen. I plan on trying to haggle with them on price, as this is a terrible design and they know it. I’d love to buy a used cluster and pop it in, but not sure that the car and cluster will talk anyone have any experience with a used cluster?

I have a bad cluster as well on my 2014 with 89k miles. I asked a Tesla service tech about how one might go about a DIY replacement. Aside from the physical replacement process, one speed bump is the instrument cluster from a used car will have the info/avatar of that car when you plug it in and lite it up. One possible work around suggested: Wait to do the cluster swap until you get a notice that there is a software update pending install on your car. POSTPONE IT. Do the cluster swap, and then ALLOW the software update. If all goes well, the software update will get your replaced cluster in sync with your car.

A video that makes the physical swap look possible to do:

Standard Disclaimer: I have not done any of this myself. From what has been described above as the price of getting the local SC to do it... ouch. :(

Reactions: hpjtv
I have a bad cluster as well on my 2014 with 89k miles. I asked a Tesla service tech about how one might go about a DIY replacement. Aside from the physical replacement process, one speed bump is the instrument cluster from a used car will have the info/avatar of that car when you plug it in and lite it up. One possible work around suggested: Wait to do the cluster swap until you get a notice that there is a software update pending install on your car. POSTPONE IT. Do the cluster swap, and then ALLOW the software update. If all goes well, the software update will get your replaced cluster in sync with your car.

A video that makes the physical swap look possible to do:

Standard Disclaimer: I have not done any of this myself. From what has been described above as the price of getting the local SC to do it... ouch. :(
Thanks for the heads up- I think the used swap would be pretty straight forward, as the videos out there are very helpful. I would at least like to hear form one person who has successfully done the swap before putting out $300-$500 for a used cluster. I think I am going to message Rich from Rich rebuilds and see what he says...

Reactions: mambro
Got it back yesterday. Carvana's warranty picked up the cost of the replacement. Shiny new IC and a new subcool fan (a little squeaky).

Hoping the main display/MCU dies next before the warranty runs out so I get a new MCU, avoiding any potential emmc issue and maybe get a free 4G upgrade with the MCU too. LOL

My EBay sources screen should be here tomorrow. I have the dash apart and will do the installation as soon as it comes in. I’ll take a few pics along the way. Here is the dash waiting for the donate screen..

Attachments

• B2F6EAC0-9CB5-4990-96F8-EF865829D6D7.jpeg
    B2F6EAC0-9CB5-4990-96F8-EF865829D6D7.jpeg
    351.4 KB · Views: 346
  • CACED674-0367-4B10-8AC5-113882EBEF0F.jpeg
    CACED674-0367-4B10-8AC5-113882EBEF0F.jpeg
    336 KB · Views: 318
  • A35DB409-262E-4F29-9DD3-CF73E9D652BD.jpeg
    A35DB409-262E-4F29-9DD3-CF73E9D652BD.jpeg
    376.6 KB · Views: 335
  • 17E1D4EF-AC67-4E6D-9893-A31C0F1A5A54.jpeg
    17E1D4EF-AC67-4E6D-9893-A31C0F1A5A54.jpeg