Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Burlington, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The farthest stall to the right as you face the stalls has no power tonight. :(
image.jpg
image.jpg

Do you think it's possible that some of the units at a particular location are upgraded to 120 kW and others are not? I drove from Seattle to the Bay Area and back last week (six superchargers x 2) and never saw over 90 kW.
It seems more likely that it's something with your car. Are you on 5.8? Have you done a reboot in case this, too, can get hosed by a missing reboot?

I think the Centralia SC was upgraded to 120K. When I charged there last Saturday I was seeing something like 320A, 340V for a shade under 110KW with an SOC of about 15%. Wish I'd taken a picture but we were rushing off to get a quick bite and i was holding up the show... I'm on 5.8 (.22 flavor). We were the only car there.

When I charged at Woodburn on Sunday there was one other MS and the guy in it commented that he thought it was charging above 90K but it dropped when I plugged in. That didn't sound right to me but what do I know? He was at about 80% SOC when I looked at his display. He was on 1A and I was on 4A. When I started it was getting 88KW with an SOC of about 50%.

There is another thread that I can't find now claiming early production cars are hardware limited to 90 kW. This would be a major bummer. I have not seen above 90 kW at either Burlington or Centralia, and we've had 5.x for quite a while. I guess Tesla has a right to improve their products without notice, but if true I hope they offer a retrofit.

There is another thread that I can't find now claiming early production cars are hardware limited to 90 kW. This would be a major bummer. I have not seen above 90 kW at either Burlington or Centralia, and we've had 5.x for quite a while. I guess Tesla has a right to improve their products without notice, but if true I hope they offer a retrofit.
Yeah, I fear it's true. I have VIN 1527, so this would explain why I did not get above 90 kW at any of the six superchargers I tried. It's disappointing, of course, but I think it's mostly a matter of communication. When they announced the 120 kW upgrade to the superchargers, they should have said, "up to 120 kW* . . . *Some older versions of the Model S will not be able to reach this rate."

The thread is here: Older Tesla's limited to 90kwh super charging. I'm a little amused by all those people who are outraged that TM improved the Model S without extending the improvement to all cars. When I first ordered my car, there was no talk of superchargers. I was buying the Model S primarily for local travel, with no expectation about being able to take road trips without considerable difficulty. The superchargers were a total, unexpected, and free bonus for me. My glass is half full.

Yeah, I fear it's true. I have VIN 1527, so this would explain why I did not get above 90 kW at any of the six superchargers I tried. It's disappointing, of course, but I think it's mostly a matter of communication. When they announced the 120 kW upgrade to the superchargers, they should have said, "up to 120 kW* . . . *Some older versions of the Model S will not be able to reach this rate."

The thread is here: Older Tesla's limited to 90kwh super charging. I'm a little amused by all those people who are outraged that TM improved the Model S without extending the improvement to all cars. When I first ordered my car, there was no talk of superchargers. I was buying the Model S primarily for local travel, with no expectation about being able to take road trips without considerable difficulty. The superchargers were a total, unexpected, and free bonus for me. My glass is half full.

Yes, I also find this outrage strange. How can anyone expect to get free retrofits for improvements. I think it's awesome that we get new features and improvements via firmware upgrades but don't see how anyone can expect hardware upgrades.

Yes, I also find this outrage strange. How can anyone expect to get free retrofits for improvements. I think it's awesome that we get new features and improvements via firmware upgrades but don't see how anyone can expect hardware upgrades.
What we should be able to"expect" is some level of transparency as to what changes in hardware are now being offered. In the absence of that transparency it is easy, and reasonable, to assume that there are no changes. For example, the offering of parking sensors, and folding side mirrors, are clearly listed as new feature s for new purchases. But I've seen nothing from TM indicating that there is a change in the charging protocols so it is fair to assume that there are no changes. Again this falls to TM's biggest flaw, and has been from the very beginning, of ineptness in communication.

When I first ordered my car, there was no talk of superchargers. I was buying the Model S primarily for local travel, with no expectation about being able to take road trips without considerable difficulty. The superchargers were a total, unexpected, and free bonus for me. My glass is half full.
When did you order? Or did you mean when you reserved?

Superchargers were announced at/before we knew what Signature options were available.

- - - Updated - - -

When Tesla makes announcements that are clearly phrased as "changes that affect the whole fleet" then they should, you know, affect the whole fleet. If they don't mean that, they shouldn't announce it as such. Seems pretty simple to me. Reasonable outrage IMO -- especially for people that ordered while a change was being made without any information about that. A lot of people would surely have asked to defer with that information in hand. People did that with red paint. People did that with Plus. Seems reasonable to share information so people can make that choice with Supercharging.

When did you order? Or did you mean when you reserved?

Superchargers were announced at/before we knew what Signature options were available.
Yes, sorry, I meant "reserved." However, I finalized my order in August, and the superchargers were not announced until September. It was only after that announcement that supercharger availability was listed as "included" when configuring the car. And of course, supercharger availability WAS included, although not the availability of all charging rates. I do agree with you, however, that the announcement and listing could and should have conveyed better information about the limitations of supercharging.

I wonder if my 85kwh is super charger capable? When I was charging at Burlington with about 50 miles of range, I got 267amps and 354v recently = 94.518kw.

It's barely above 90kw so it probably is, I got mine a year ago, so I'm right on the cusp of the 120kw switch. It doesn't matter that much to me though - does this free thing I didn't know about come at level 10 or 11.5 (relatively speaking) - both are much better than the 1.5 I'd get with a leaf.

Your car is definitely supercharger capable if it's an 85. I charged there today and got similar numbers. I think part of the issue is it's difficult to get the best numbers with the cold weather. It was about 34F when I was there and I'm sure some of the consumption was to help warm the battery pack.

I've been able to charge at 120 at Woodburn so I know my car is 120kW capable.

I am here using the free wifi at the Fairfeild suites beside the Burlington supercharger. I noticed there was a free breakfast being served. So I identfied myself at the front desk that i am just using the supercharger and what the charge would be if i have something at the breakfast buffet. She tells me to just grab what i want and don't worry about it! Wow- free charge, free food, free wifi - what nice people here! It doesn't get any better that this! :)

Last edited:
I am here using the free wifi at the Fairfeild suites beside the supercharger. I noticed there was a free breakfast being served. So I identfied myself at the front desk that i am just using the supercharger and what the charge would be if i have something at the breakfast buffet. She tells me to just grab what i want and don't worry about it! Wow- free charge, free food, what nice people here! It doesn't get any better that this! :)
Awesome. I'd still leave a generous tip.