Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

. . . but what do you miss from your old car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I graduated from a 1988 Volvo 240 Wagon. The MY is vastly superior in most ways, but I miss:

much tighter turning radius
much larger storage space
much better visibility out the back

The Volvo is/was a great car but it's showing its age. Years ago I added anti-sway bars which make it a dream to handle around curves. It's extremely underpowered where I live at 6,000 ft elevation. I went from one of the slowest cars on the road to one of the fastest.

Reactions: Z_Lynx
  1. Apple CarPlay.
  2. CarPlay.
  3. CarPlay.
  4. The heated steering wheel that my Audi had.
  5. CarPlay.
  6. I occasionally miss 'dumb' cruise control, but then when I drive our 2011 odyssey I always end up missing TACC, so I don't think I really miss it. 😜
  7. CarPlay.
  8. Did I mention CarPlay?
What is everyone doing on carplay? Waze? Apple music? i have carplay on my other cars and i rarely use it because i just use bluetooth audio and then i can keep my phone in my pocket and use the built in nav to keep my phone from dying

Reactions: Bklynguy
I truly truly miss not knowing what a replacement battery will cost. How can you make long term "cost of ownership" decisions?
Did you ever look up the cost to replace the engine in any other car you bought?

What is everyone doing on carplay? Waze? Apple music? i have carplay on my other cars and i rarely use it because i just use bluetooth audio and then i can keep my phone in my pocket and use the built in nav to keep my phone from dying
Everything except maps. And sometimes Maps, too. Bluetooth is adequate for playing one thing that you decide on ahead of time. it doesn't show albums or libraries. You can't see which podcasts you have. The TuneIn podcast app that Tesla has is a POS, putting it nicely. All of Tesla's apps also require premium connectivity as well. Why should I pay $120 per year to get what I'm already paying for with my phone? I could go on, but it would take another 3 paragraphs and derail the thread.

Last edited:
  • Adaptive Cruise Control that didn't slam on its brakes
  • Automatic windshield wipers that actually worked correctly
  • Automatic high beams that worked correctly
  • Ventilated seats
  • Ability to use my windshield wipers via the stalk rather than ****ing around with a touchscreen or voice controls while driving blind in heavy rain because the auto wipers are absolutely worthless
  • Ability to close the passenger side air vent when my wife is in the car (she doesn't like air blowing on her)
  • Blindspot monitor
  • Rear cross traffic alert monitor
  • CarPlay, mainly for using Google Maps or Waze for navigation. I've had several instances where Google saved me upwards of 15min over Tesla's routing
  • Interior that didn't rattle even though the car is only 2 months old

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi
  • Adaptive Cruise Control that didn't slam on its brakes
  • Automatic windshield wipers that actually worked correctly
  • Automatic high beams that worked correctly
  • Ventilated seats
  • Ability to use my windshield wipers via the stalk rather than ****ing around with a touchscreen or voice controls while driving blind in heavy rain because the auto wipers are absolutely worthless
  • Ability to close the passenger side air vent when my wife is in the car (she doesn't like air blowing on her)
  • Blindspot monitor
  • Rear cross traffic alert monitor
  • CarPlay, mainly for using Google Maps or Waze for navigation. I've had several instances where Google saved me upwards of 15min over Tesla's routing
  • Interior that didn't rattle even though the car is only 2 months old
Sounds like you bought wrong car then.

Did you ever look up the cost to replace the engine in any other car you bought?

Everything except maps. And sometimes Maps, too. Bluetooth is adequate for playing one thing that you decide on ahead of time. it doesn't show albums or libraries. You can't see which podcasts you have. The TuneIn podcast app that Tesla has is a POS, putting it nicely. All of Tesla's apps also require premium connectivity as well. Why should I pay $120 per year to get what I'm already paying for with my phone? I could go on, but it would take another 3 paragraphs and derail the thread.
ive never had a problem with the tune-in app but i only do live sports / talk shows... the $120 / year is stupid i admit... i pre-pay though for my phone at $15 / month so paying another $10 for more data is not the end of the world to me.. this is a "what do i miss thread" so i wouldnt say its derailed to say what you miss from carplay... what else is there in carplay besides music and maps.. maybe im missing something?

Same here, never really used CarPlay after my initial use. Didn’t really like it and Bluetooth worked perfectly fine

Reactions: gt2690b
My TACC and high beams work perfectly - am I that much of an anomaly?
I think they work as well as they have in the last many cars I've driven over the last 5 years - about 90% of perfect. On rare occasion I have to manually put my beams in 'high', and I occasionally get a phantom breaking thing (which I can usually anticipate).

I agree: don't use any kind of cruise control in lousy weather.

ive never had a problem with the tune-in app but i only do live sports / talk shows... the $120 / year is stupid i admit... i pre-pay though for my phone at $15 / month so paying another $10 for more data is not the end of the world to me.. this is a "what do i miss thread" so i wouldnt say its derailed to say what you miss from carplay... what else is there in carplay besides music and maps.. maybe im missing something?
Ok, here goes...
Maps - Apple Maps automatically syncs with your calendar and address book. It shows alternate routes and lets you choose, it shows traffic (without paying for premium connectivity). Apple Maps lets you share your trip/arrival time with others. CarPlay also gives you the choice of Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze and others. (Tesla maps isn't bad, though, and it's the only way to precondition for super charging.)
Music - Tesla has Tesla music and Spotify. Both require premium connectivity. CarPlay gives you Apple Music, Spotify, pandora, Amazon music, etc, basically anything that has an app. If you already pay for an Apple Music (or other) subscription, why should you pay for Spotify, too? If you have libraries on your phone they are automatically included in CarPlay. Your libraries travel with you to whatever car you drive, including rental cars.
Messages - CarPlay makes it much easier to compose a new message and will automatically look up someone in your address book (works better than Tesla's seems to.) (Car play doesn't show you the text, which is nice on the Tesla screen but you really shouldn't be reading a text while driving, anyway.)
Podcasts - The TuneIn app frequently glitches and won't download podcasts properly. it randomly logs you out. It doesn't remember where you were in a podcast if you switch between two podcasts or even if you just go into the store and come back out. CarPlay does all of these, remembers your playback position across cars (because it's actually on your phone) and maintains any subscriptions you have. You can also continue listening to a podcast when you leave the car. You can also use just about any podcast app you want, not just Apple's
Audiobooks - Tesla has nothing. You can listen to any audio book you own via CarPlay.

All of these use cellular data which I'm already paying for; no extra charges. The other advantage which I alluded to above is consistency. If I move from one car to another, the CarPlay interface is the same, my playlists, podcasts come along and remember where I am, etc. If I get a rental car it doesn't matter - it's the same. (Tesla's interface is good- one of the best I've used, but most cars' interfaces are crap.)

I think that's it...

Last edited:
Reactions: mycroftxxx
Ok, here goes...
Maps - Apple Maps automatically syncs with your calendar and address book. It shows alternate routes and lets you choose, it shows traffic (without paying for premium connectivity). Apple Maps lets you share your trip/arrival time with others. CarPlay also gives you the choice of Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze and others. (Tesla maps isn't bad, though, and it's the only way to precondition for super charging.)
Music - Tesla has Tesla music and Spotify. Both require premium connectivity. CarPlay gives you Apple Music, Spotify, pandora, Amazon music, etc, basically anything that has an app. If you already pay for an Apple Music (or other) subscription, why should you pay for Spotify, too? If you have libraries on your phone they are automatically included in CarPlay. Your libraries travel with you to whatever car you drive, including rental cars.
Messages - CarPlay makes it much easier to compose a new message and will automatically look up someone in your address book (works better than Tesla's seems to.) (Car play doesn't show you the text, which is nice on the Tesla screen but you really shouldn't be reading a text while driving, anyway.)
Podcasts - The TuneIn app frequently glitches and won't download podcasts properly. it randomly logs you out. It doesn't remember where you were in a podcast if you switch between two podcasts or even if you just go into the store and come back out. CarPlay does all of these, remembers your playback position across cars (because it's actually on your phone) and maintains any subscriptions you have. You can also continue listening to a podcast when you leave the car. You can also use just about any podcast app you want, not just Apple's
Audiobooks - Tesla has nothing. You can listen to any audio book you own via CarPlay.

All of these use cellular data which I'm already paying for; no extra charges. The other advantage which I alluded to above is consistency. If I move from one car to another, the CarPlay interface is the same, my playlists, podcasts come along and remember where I am, etc. If I get a rental car it doesn't matter - it's the same. (Tesla's interface is good- one of the best I've used, but most cars' interfaces are crap.)

I think that's it...
Tesla calendar syncs to Tesla maps as well

I’ve never been a fan of Apple Maps

Yeah there are some more music options but I still prefer the Tesla interface rather than the duplicity of interfaces that show up with CarPlay / android auto

I like CarPlay in my rental car and cars that didn’t even try to have an interface they just went straight to CarPlay

I agree though the worst part is paying an extra $10 for something your already paying for.. at least you can do that over WiFi though

Yes, for Jeep Wrangler, Ford Escape and Mustang. I usually keep my cars for 12-15 years and do all my own maintenance after warranty runs out. Total cost of ownership plays important role in my purchase decision.

Yes, for Jeep Wrangler, Ford Escape and Mustang. I usually keep my cars for 12-15 years and do all my own maintenance after warranty runs out. Total cost of ownership plays important role in my purchase decision.
I just sold my 10 year S and it was good for at least 10 more.. battery is good for 400k I had 150k and almost no degradation