Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

. . . but what do you miss from your old car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. Style (all Teslas are derivative of one simple bug-like design)
2. Carplay
3. Sirius XM
4. Cargo space

I'd like an EV SUV or truck. It won't be the Cybertruck - only because it's the triangle-design car my 6 year-old son drew and hung on our refrigerator back in 1995. Exactly.

I think the Cybertruck styling is a result of your #1 complaint... they got tired of hearing about all their cars looking alike and said "Oh Yeah? Look at THIS!!!"

I wouldn't drive a Cybertruck if I got one for free... I would sell it and get an F150 Lightning.

Keith

I've never heard of anyone with TACC and Auto High Beams working perfectly.
Doesn't your Tesla slam the brakes on unnecessarily sometimes and neglect to turn off high beams for oncoming traffic on occasion?
Mine does. It still works, but it's a bit embarrassing.

My TACC and high beams work perfectly - am I that much of an anomaly?
Perhaps! I get frequent/aggressive phantom braking when I use Autopilot, and my auto high beams are embarrassing. They wait far too long to dim on flat/straight roads, and they flash oncoming drivers (especially if there is a slight dip in the road).

I've never heard of anyone with TACC and Auto High Beams working perfectly.
Doesn't your Tesla slam the brakes on unnecessarily sometimes and neglect to turn off high beams for oncoming traffic on occasion?
Mine does. It still works, but it's a bit embarrassing.
Never had an issue with the high beams. Most of the time I use auto pilot, not just TACC but the only time I've noticed phantom barking with TACC doesn't really qualify as phantom braking - it's when I've changed lanes at a stoplight and pull up behind the car in the new lane and TACC thinks I'm too close despite the fact that I'm 10-15 feet back.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Wow, you are lucky. Maybe it is terrain related?
One situation where phantom braking gets me a frequently is when approaching an oncoming car around a right hand bend on a two lane highway.
I guess it thinks the car is heading directly at me, so it abruptly brakes until it figures out what to do, which looks silly and really messes with the car behind me.

Never had an issue with the high beams. Most of the time I use auto pilot, not just TACC but the only time I've noticed phantom barking with TACC doesn't really qualify as phantom braking - it's when I've changed lanes at a stoplight and pull up behind the car in the new lane and TACC thinks I'm too close despite the fact that I'm 10-15 feet back.
I’ll try to remember to take a video next time I use Autopilot. I can be driving down the freeway with minimal traffic, and no vehicle in front of me, and it will suddenly slam on the brakes. I used to think it was from different colored asphalt or shadows, but there is a section of newly paved road with new/bright lines and it still does the same thing. I won’t use it if there is even moderate traffic, as I’m scared to cause an accident.

Wow, you are lucky. Maybe it is terrain related?
One situation where phantom braking gets me a frequently is when approaching an oncoming car around a right hand bend on a two lane highway.
I guess it thinks the car is heading directly at me, so it abruptly brakes until it figures out what to do, which looks silly and really messes with the car behind me.
Yes! I’ve experienced this exact thing also.

I think the Cybertruck styling is a result of your #1 complaint... they got tired of hearing about all their cars looking alike and said "Oh Yeah? Look at THIS!!!"

I wouldn't drive a Cybertruck if I got one for free... I would sell it and get an F150 Lightning.

Keith
Be careful with Ford battery architecture. At least the Mach-E has flat plate cooling under the edge of the pouch cells, with an aluminum fin up between each second cell. This creates severe heat gradients on 2 axes, so each pouch has a hot and cold side, and hot and cold edge.

I worked on a team that studied this type of battery cooling. We concluded it could be Ok for long duration, low current stationary storage, absolutely not ok for high current applications.

Mach-E has to limit full power acceleration after about 60mph, since they'll kill the cells if they don't. They're trying to tweak-fix it with software updates. News flash: they won't fix it. If the Lightning has the same cell structure, get a good long term warranty, those batteries won't last.

For the life of me I can't figure out why other mfg's don't copy Tesla and get fluid between all the cells, and/or use tab cooling (cools each layer in the cell). Tesla IP is open source (ish), so why start 10 years behind?

Be careful with Ford battery architecture. At least the Mach-E has flat plate cooling under the edge of the pouch cells, with an aluminum fin up between each second cell. This creates severe heat gradients on 2 axes, so each pouch has a hot and cold side, and hot and cold edge.

I worked on a team that studied this type of battery cooling. We concluded it could be Ok for long duration, low current stationary storage, absolutely not ok for high current applications.

Mach-E has to limit full power acceleration after about 60mph, since they'll kill the cells if they don't. They're trying to tweak-fix it with software updates. News flash: they won't fix it. If the Lightning has the same cell structure, get a good long term warranty, those batteries won't last.

For the life of me I can't figure out why other mfg's don't copy Tesla and get fluid between all the cells, and/or use tab cooling (cools each layer in the cell). Tesla IP is open source (ish), so why start 10 years behind?
Is Ford using only air cooling for the battery?

1) Cruise control that works in foul weather
2) High quality interior
if the weather's foul you probably shouldn't be using cruise control anyway.

I’ll try to remember to take a video next time I use Autopilot. I can be driving down the freeway with minimal traffic, and no vehicle in front of me, and it will suddenly slam on the brakes. I used to think it was from different colored asphalt or shadows, but there is a section of newly paved road with new/bright lines and it still does the same thing. I won’t use it if there is even moderate traffic, as I’m scared to cause an accident.
Yeah, I must be lucky. There's one place where a road goes under a railroad overpass that it always brakes, but it doesn't slam on the brakes, it just slows. We just took a trip from Minneapolis to Madison (~5 hours) and the cruise control worked flawlessly for me. *shrug*

Reactions: WhiteWi