Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buyer beware. Buying a CPO Tesla feels like a SCAM.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The lesson I took from this is not to buy a used car without inspecting it. It doesn't have to be perfect to still be a good deal, but you should know what you're getting into.

For the last used car I bought, I inspected it and noted certain similar kinds of damage. Then I mentally tallied up repair costs. Sometimes it's better to spend $500 on professional cleaning, $200 on a good overall detailing, $200 for paint repair, and then replacement plastic parts if they are still available.

Even with those costs, it was still worth it, so I bought it. The replacement plastic console parts and knobs brought the interior back up to new in those areas.

Two things I walk away from: damage to very expensive things to repair, and bad odor.

Like everyone else has said... I’m sorry to hear all this OP. It’s clear this car did not go through any prep at all, much less the refurb process.
Easy thing to ask for in your escalation email/conversation is the post-prep/refurb checklist. I’ll bet they can’t produce it because the local centers (sales/service) took it upon themselves to sell this car as quickly as possible.
Hopefully someone will have to answer for it.
Was it ever listed officially (did you see it on EV-cpo or teslainventory)?
I hope you’re made whole VERY soon. Still SMH at everything, most of which the attitude and delays.
I specifically didn’t pay electronically (came with cashier’s check in hand) so that I could refuse delivery if needed. Fortunately my car went through the proper reconditioning process.

Last edited:
This is what happens when you grow too fast. It sounds like you were dealing with people who hadn't figured out that Tesla does things differently. Customers should always leave happy. These people need to be retrained or fired. Tesla will make it right.

Reactions: Guy V
A good detailer can remove that dirt. One of the pictures is just from having the door seal untucked, it's not a flaw. Just push it back in. All superficial stuff.

You are exactly correct. Mine also got dirty fingerprints on the headliner at the front pillars when they put in the replacement airbags that had a recall. The OP had plenty of dirty spots and a storage area that wasn't vacuumed also, which is aggravating but still not major. Plus he had a small chip on the hood and I am not sure if that is normally fixed as a CPO? But, I know that I now have plenty of chips on my hood edges which seem like a usual blemish. I agree I would be disappointed if I were delivered a dirty or not well detailed car... but, none of this is major in my opinion based on the pictures. I am sorry that he has gone through the aggravation of what should have been better detailing. Being that he has a probable grievance of poor communication from Tesla, it has compounded his angst. I would have been inclined to have it detailed myself in the end, and work at back charging Tesla. Good luck OP!

Last edited:
Oh. Thanks for the clarification. Hmm, that looks bad but then again, I don’t trust CPO’s from any brand. You just don’t know.
But in this case, wow that doesn’t look presentable.
Sadly in my experience I have found CPO just means used with a warranty (and a lazy dealer detail). Tesla did drop the ball on this one by at a minimum failing to clean it properly.

Reactions: Guy V
This is what happens when you grow too fast. It sounds like you were dealing with people who hadn't figured out that Tesla does things differently. Customers should always leave happy. These people need to be retrained or fired. Tesla will make it right.

Tesla HAS to grow "too fast" to survive.It's not a matter of growing but taking the CPO process seriously.

In this case doing things differently is not always for the best. They need to properly recondition CPO cars they sell. At the least when deficiencies are brought to their attention, they need to address them rather than ignore the customer for weeks.

You are exactly correct. Mine also got dirty fingerprints on the headliner at the front pillars when they put in the replacement airbags that had a recall. The OP had plenty of dirty spots and a storage area that wasn't vacuumed also, which is aggravating but still not major. Plus he had a small chip on the hood and I am not sure if that is normally fixed as a CPO? But, I know that I now have plenty of chips on my hood edges which seem like a usual blemish. I agree I would be disappointed if I were delivered a dirty or not well detailed car... but, none of this is major in my opinion based on the pictures. I am sorry that he has gone through the aggravation of what should have been better detailing. Being that he has a probable grievance of poor communication from Tesla, it has compounded his angst. I would have been inclined to have it detailed myself in the end, and work at back charging Tesla. Good luck OP!

To answer one of the comments; I would have loved to get it detailed on my own. I would send the bill to Tesla, but whats more important is not spending my time in a filthy car. If they pay me back, great, if not then at least I have a clean car.
The problem is that they did not at any point agree that detailing is the solution. I always got the “I’ll get back to you on that”.
And , given my experience so far, I can guarantee that if I detail it on my own, even if it’s at one of the Tesla approved shops, they will blame me or the shop for ruining the headliner and gouging the center consoles. And yes I sent pictures to prove I received it in this condition but at this point I put nothing past them.

My scam radar is way up at this point. Btw, they are still insisting the car has been detailed which is why delivery was late.

Would anyone here trust them or believe a single word they say given the condition of the car?

Sorry OP for your experience. What's done is done but I would keep pushing Tesla to try to make things right.

I bought new, but still had pushback when my vehicle was damaged *twice* during service. Both times their initial reaction was "it couldn't have been us" but both times they ended up making it right after logic and proof were presented, and in some cases multiple weeks long follow ups with regional managers. Keep a log of all the calls, callbacks, and "promises" to get back to you, and call them the very next day they're late, and escalate at every opportunity.

I still support the company and their vision, but they're only as good as the people they hire, and not everyone can be super reasonable, or have the proper support they need from the company. Having said that, I take every opportunity to take preventative measures when I drop off my car and insist on inspections before I leave the car with them. I found a chip on a quarter panel that wasn't there when I dropped off the car, and I had done a personal hand wash the day before so I know it wasn't there when I dropped off the car.

In regard to the condition of your CPO, it looks consistent with some uncleaned loaners I've received. I felt gross driving those cars for 1-2 days, let alone having to live with it. No joke, one time there was a cherry pit in the cupholder! :eek:

This should not be the OP's problem to solve though. He bought a CPO car and it should be delivered in acceptable condition for a CPO car. Clearly someone failed to even do a basic inspection of the interior of the car before delivery.

He also deserves a Tesla loaner while the car is being fixed up.
I fully agree.

But op is a long way from Tesla if I read correctly. If OP can find a local detailer that will come to him/her and do a full detail on the car like should have happened it might be easier on the OP. Might have better results too. Some detailer are better than others.

And Tesla should pay the detailer directly.

Then review the headliner thing after that.

I know that is not what should happen. The darn car should be cleaned from the start. But for the OP, would have more control over the selection of a top quality detailer. For Tesla it would be cheaper than flat bedding, etc so they should be willing to pay more for higher quality job.

I fully agree.

But op is a long way from Tesla if I read correctly. If OP can find a local detailer that will come to him/her and do a full detail on the car like should have happened it might be easier on the OP. Might have better results too. Some detailer are better than others.

And Tesla should pay the detailer directly.

Then review the headliner thing after that.

I know that is not what should happen. The darn car should be cleaned from the start. But for the OP, would have more control over the selection of a top quality detailer. For Tesla it would be cheaper than flat bedding, etc so they should be willing to pay more for higher quality job.

You are correct and that’s exactly what I did 4 says jnto it. I found a detailer and got an evaluation - they said headliner is a goner but they can try.
I relayed it back to Tesla who said hold off on anything. We will send a truck. We will get back to you. Then nothing for 2 weeks other than I’ll get back to you later today.
Then mobile unit came. Again they wouldn’t touch it and said it needs to be sent back.

While all this was going on I consider detailng anyway but they would have blamed them, and no doubt me as well, on ruining everything.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
Unfortunate that the service manager isn’t very nice. The manager here in San Diego is incredibly nice and wouldn’t blink an eye at helping you out. He is by far the nicest service manager I have ever dealt with. This and the fact there is no dealer to go through are the primary reasons I have stayed with Tesla, definitely not for the build quality.

Are you referring to Lee?
I had some pretty good experiences with him and other staff during my first 5 months of (new vehicle) ownership, during which I had myriad problems/replacements.

That changed as soon as I said "lemon law." After that point, I've been mostly ignored by everyone at the service center.

I think you can split into two categories:
1. Cleanliness
2. Damage
The cleanliness issues hurt the worst, because it's basically a sign of disrespect for the buyer.
This disrespect takes the joy out of the purchase.
I would hate to have been robbed of the joy I felt on delivery of my Model S. Sorry it happened to you.
Just get everything fixed and forget about it and enjoy the great car.

So, I spoke with a sales person at Tesla. We went over options and available CPO's.
Overall a very helpful and accommodating person.
KEY POINT:
me: I never bought a car that I haven't seen in real life, or taken out for a test drive. What guarantee is there that the car is in good shape.
him: All of our CPO cars go through the rigorous Tesla certification process and have passed the Tesla quality standards in terms of esthetics and function.

And then all your problems started.

You spent $70k blind on a car based on the word of a salesperson.
There is _nothing_ _special_ about Tesla salespeople.

Wow. I think I would go ahead and file your complaint with the state. Tesla deserve some heat over this one. Keep the fire hot.

Sadly, your lack of response from Tesla is pretty similar to my experience. Nobody ever calls back. Never. The only reliable person I have met in the organization is my Mobile Service guy who is great. I Like my car, but I won't be buying another one until Tesla gets their act together with customer service and collision repair, which continues to languish.

When I saw the title of this thread my first thought was "great, another whiner, complaining that he found a gnat's eyelash in his CPO car and now wants Elon to apologize in person." I was quite surprised, however, at the vehicle's condition and the level of disregard shown the OP. I would be furious had I purchased this CPO vehicle. Good luck with the resolution. I think having a professional detailer take care of the cleanliness issues and having Tesla handle the mechanical issues is likely the best option for a successful resolution.

The lesson I've learned here is never trust a CPO purchase sight unseen (or with a scant few photographs that Tesla offers). I was contacted via this forum a couple of years ago by a person out of state who was buying a CPO that resided here in Dallas. He asked me to go to the service center and take pictures for him. The service center was happy to oblige (though they wouldn't let me touch or sit in the car, understandably) and I took about 40 pictures for him to examine. I would definitely ask someone to do that for me were I ever to buy a CPO in the future.

What really got me is that jerk of a manager telling me it’s too expensive sending a truck to pick the damn car up.
The rude manager needs his district boss to teach him (1) customer service, or (2) how to fill out an unemployment claim. A simple solution (back on the day Tesla received your pictures proving the lack of detail/inspection) would have been to have someone drive a clean Model S loaner to you and then drive your S back for its first CPO inspection and detail (that clearly was never done, in spite of that lie) and a headliner replacement, rock chip repair, etc. A quality serviceman could have had your S looking like new in one day. Instead, they've permanently ruined your perception of the company, as well as everyone who reads this post. I'd demand a written copy of the CPO inspection report and detail checklist (that likely cannot be provided because it likely doesn't exist).

I think your story just raised the value of every third-party Tesla for sale. I sold my 2012 S85 about a month ago for $40k, on this forum. I personally detailed my S (inside and out) to better-than-new condition. And the cheapest CPO of a similar early production S85 with 83k miles was $49k. Sure, a CPO has a better warranty, but potential CPO buyers who read this post will now wonder if it's not better to find a one- or two-owner used S direct from the person who has cherished and taken great care of their Tesla for the next owner. So sorry to the OP for his awful experience. I hope you get satisfaction in the end :)