Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a Used 2018 Performance - Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KyleM3

Jul 21, 2020
PA
Hey guys! I was originally looking to go new LR, however after test driving the Performance I’m a little hooked. Long story short, I found a 2018 Performance with Enhanced Autopilot (I assume the same as FSD?) and only 3K miles for 53K. It’s a good deal and would save me a significant bit vs. a new performance WITHOUT FSD. With that being said though, 2018 vs. 2020, is there any major concerns I should have? Anything I should check specifically or be weary of in the future? My only true concern at this point is having 3 less years on the battery warrant, but I trust Tesla in that regard on build quality.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Since I can’t appear to edit the thread, here’s the CarFax. Everything says clear. I do find it odd that two different people unloaded a great car so quickly?

Attachments

• 2EB91D07-7AE2-4EA7-8E9D-2E6AFBC59A25.jpeg
    2EB91D07-7AE2-4EA7-8E9D-2E6AFBC59A25.jpeg
    354.5 KB · Views: 98
I have a 2018 Model3 with Enhanced Autopilot (but not FSD) Enhanced Autopilot is not the same as FSD. FSD is a few thousand dollar upgrade from the Enhanced autopilot (EAP)

Enhanced autopilot will:

- Drive the car on highways and on regular roads (called Navigate on Autopilot)
- Takes exits on highways and change lanes automatically
- Allows for "Smart Summon" where the car can move across a parking lot to you (mostly a party trick..)
- Autopark

Enhanced autopilot will not
- Autosteer on city streets (well, it will but doesn't stop for pedestrians, lights or stop signs)
- stop for light and stop-signs

Last edited:
EAP doesn't include the newer traffic light and stop sign functionality, but is otherwise identical to FSD currently.

2018 has some extra things a 2020 doesn't, like 14-50 adapter and frunk carpet and hooks. The used vehicle may or may not actually come with these though.

Bit weird, looks like a dealership put nearly 1000mi on it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
I have a 2018 Model3 with Enhanced Autopilot (but not FSD) Enhanced Autopilot is not the same as FSD. FSD is a few thousand dollar upgrade from the Enhanced autopilot (EAP)

Enhanced autopilot will:

- Drive the car on highways and on regular roads (called Navigate on Autopilot)
- Takes exits on highways and change lanes automatically
- Allows for "Smart Summon" where the car can move across a parking lot to you (mostly a party trick..)
- Autopark

Enhanced autopilot will not
- Autosteer on city streets (well, it will but doesn't stop for pedestrians, lights or stop signs)
- stop for light and stop-signs
Ah, thank you for the explanation. So still better than standard autopilot.

EAP doesn't include the newer traffic light and stop sign functionality, but is otherwise identical to FSD currently.

2018 has some extra things a 2020 doesn't, like 14-50 adapter and frunk carpet and hooks. The used vehicle may or may not actually come with these though.

Bit weird, looks like a dealership put nearly 1000mi on it.

Cool, thank you for the info. Yeah, that’s really the only thing throwing me off is the mileage with 2 owners. The dealer is clueless - they claimed it has FSD, the website labels the car as “blue”, even though it’s clearly MSM. I hate normal dealerships (vs. the Tesla experience), but for the right deal I’d settle for the sleezy bullshit.

I don’t see this as an amazing deal. The difference between a new 2020 Performance Model 3 and this vehicle is $3,190 assuming no FSD. Seems like a relatively small sum for piece of mind. Going new you are also able to select exterior and interior colors exactly to your liking and don’t have to worry about vehicle history.

Reactions: BGDDYKWL and house9
I don’t see this as an amazing deal. The difference between a new 2020 Performance Model 3 and this vehicle is $3,190 assuming no FSD. Seems like a relatively small sum for piece of mind. Going new you are also able to select exterior and interior colors exactly to your liking and don’t have to worry about vehicle history.

A new P3 would be 66K before tax with the white interior, MSM paint, and FSD. Around 71K after tax.

For 3.7K miles (and if there’s genuinely nothing wrong), it’s definitely a deal. While it’s not FSD, the enhanced autopilot is still better than the standard. Even if you cut FSD in half, the ‘20 version would be 62K. If I were to go the used route with this one, I’d likely shoot for 50K which is 2K more than a LR, but more car. That’s why it made sense to me.

Certainly don't wanna rain on your parade, but this isn't an amazing deal. I've been very closely monitoring the P3D market for a solid year now (just purchased a '19 with 3k miles).

I really wanted one with low miles so I'm with ya there, but depending on the month in '18 it was built you conceivably could be losing over half of the bumper to bumper warranty.

I don't know your timeframe or location, but if you're not in a huge rush or remote area it's not gonna be difficult to find a better deal.

Off the top of my head there's a '19 P3D (black with white interior) with 3k miles and FSD in LA (I believe) listed for 54k.

Certainly don't wanna rain on your parade, but this isn't an amazing deal. I've been very closely monitoring the P3D market for a solid year now (just purchased a '19 with 3k miles).

I really wanted one with low miles so I'm with ya there, but depending on the month in '18 it was built you conceivably could be losing over half of the bumper to bumper warranty.

I don't know your timeframe or location, but if you're not in a huge rush or remote area it's not gonna be difficult to find a better deal.

Off the top of my head there's a '19 P3D (black with white interior) with 3k miles and FSD in LA (I believe) listed for 54k.

No one is raining on my parade, it’s not my car. Being in California, it seems the pool is FAR larger than here on the East Coast. I’m in Philly and the pool is super, super small. Put it this way, this is the best all around option when it comes to mileage, options, condition. Everything that’s worth anything tends to be 300+ miles away, which blows in terms of going and taking a peek at it.

Reactions: BGDDYKWL
Odd thought but why not get an AWD Model Y for that same $50k

0-60 in 4.8 (it’s actually faster)
Holds more stuff
And it’s NEW

Not faster than a P3 (3.2 sec)
Don’t need it to hold a lot of stuff.
I can afford new, it’s just whether I can save money at this point.

I also live in the city so a bigger SUV doesn’t help me. Not to mention my parking area is very tight.

can you point me to the direction of that used 19 you are speaking of

Hey guys! I was originally looking to go new LR, however after test driving the Performance I’m a little hooked. Long story short, I found a 2018 Performance with Enhanced Autopilot (I assume the same as FSD?) and only 3K miles for 53K. It’s a good deal and would save me a significant bit vs. a new performance WITHOUT FSD. With that being said though, 2018 vs. 2020, is there any major concerns I should have? Anything I should check specifically or be weary of in the future? My only true concern at this point is having 3 less years on the battery warrant, but I trust Tesla in that regard on build quality.

Any insight would be appreciated!
Would be careful buying through 3rd party dealer. Might lose EAP.

Not faster than a P3 (3.2 sec)
Don’t need it to hold a lot of stuff.
I can afford new, it’s just whether I can save money at this point.

I also live in the city so a bigger SUV doesn’t help me. Not to mention my parking area is very tight.

I meant that the Y is actually faster than Tesla quotes, I know it’s not faster than a P3. Either way, the butt dyno isn’t going to notice the difference.

You mentioned tight parking, do you have charging access? Living from SuperCharger to SuperCharger sucks, I’ve done it for a couple months.

I think if you’re dead set on the P3 then just buy it new, FSD isn’t worth it (I’ve got it and meh).

• Informative
Reactions: M3LL0 and BlindPass
I meant that the Y is actually faster than Tesla quotes, I know it’s not faster than a P3. Either way, the butt dyno isn’t going to notice the difference.

You mentioned tight parking, do you have charging access? Living from SuperCharger to SuperCharger sucks, I’ve done it for a couple months.
You don’t notice the difference? Imo it’s very noticeable.

A new P3 would be 66K before tax with the white interior, MSM paint, and FSD. Around 71K after tax.

For 3.7K miles (and if there’s genuinely nothing wrong), it’s definitely a deal. While it’s not FSD, the enhanced autopilot is still better than the standard. Even if you cut FSD in half, the ‘20 version would be 62K. If I were to go the used route with this one, I’d likely shoot for 50K which is 2K more than a LR, but more car. That’s why it made sense to me.
Just my opinion, but seems closer to being cheap than it seems like a good deal.

It doesn’t have FSD (do any?), so a better comparison is 55k for a new one without FSD imo. The delta is basically in the needed FSD upgrade costs. A few thousand more for upgrading the new one vs upgrading the used one. Given current interest rates have me financing rather than cash, those savings are somewhat eroded by the higher used interest rate. At some point, there should also be a general public residual value delta that favors a 2020 over a 2018, even if similar mileage. Add in some warranty life differences, the risks inherent to getting basically a rental, and I’d pass and go new without FSD.

Perhaps I’m undervaluing the need to buy new with FSD. Maybe it’s really around the corner this time. From my experience in buying Tesla’s, that FSD option is a loan to Tesla and you’ll need to pay to upgrade to the latest in the future anyways.