Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've owned my Signature P85 (VIN 855) since November 2012 and since that time have driven it in excess of 123k miles. AP2 hardware and end of free Supercharging pushed me to pull the trigger on a new 90D recently. I'm now trying to decide whether to keep the P85 or trade it in for the $32k that I was preliminarily quoted by Tesla.

Insurance and registration costs to keeping the two cars is increased nominally. Tires for the 21" wheels have been the major maintenance cost (I'm on my 4th Set and ready for a 5th) up until now (no more 21" wheels for me!) The P85 has free supercharging and is in excellent condition. It just seems like a shame to let it go for $30k...depreciated from $120k in 4 yrs.

This depreciation is due mostly to the mileage, and the rest of the car is in excellent condition. Battery and powertrain are under unlimited mileage warranty for basically 4 more years. It has been my commute car, so all the miles have been easy, cruising, freeway driving.

I know it seems like I am answering my own question, but I'm mostly looking for opinions on what you all would do if you were in my shoes. And also posing the question to make sure I am thinking about all the right considerations. Thank you in advance for your thoughts and guidance!

Pretty sure they extended the unlimited supercharging cut-off. Those long trips will also be a lot nicer in a newer car with a better interior and autopilot anyway. I don't really find value in keeping the signature P85. The way I see it, you'd be paying $32k to have an unused vehicle occupy space in your driveway/garage. You could also try to get more selling it privately and order your new car now to get the supercharging.

What is your family situation? I will be keeping my classic S and adding a Model 3 but I have three daughters, two who currently drive and one who will be soon, and my wife also likes to drive our Leaf sometimes rather than her BMW. If you have kids that will be driving soon, they will be safer in your Model S than most other vehicles.

My kids won't be driving anytime soon, and I had just bought my wife a Nissan Pathfinder earlier in 2016 when her car crapped out. And I have a Honda Element for out of towners to drive when they visit.

I'm thinking, who wouldn't want a $30k 250 mile range Tesla with free supercharging. And if I kept it I could split my commute miles between it and the new 90D, maybe extending the life of the new car. The depreciation curve on the $30k Tesla surely is flattened out to a large degree, right? No gas, unlimited supercharging for free, 4 more years of battery/powertrain warranty?

I'm thinking, who wouldn't want a $30k 250 mile range Tesla with free supercharging. And if I kept it I could split my commute miles between it and the new 90D, maybe extending the life of the new car. The depreciation curve on the $30k Tesla surely is flattened out to a large degree, right? No gas, unlimited supercharging for free, 4 more years of battery/powertrain warranty?

IMO, as great a car as the Sig S is you will not be driving it after you receive the new 90D. Tesla has improved the S fit, finish and in almost every way since the original ones that you will walk outside and get in the new 90D every time.

Therefore, my suggestion is let the emotional attachment go ( :) ) and let the sig go...

Mike

Reactions: pilotSteve
IMO, as great a car as the Sig S is you will not be driving it after you receive the new 90D. Tesla has improved the S fit, finish and in almost every way since the original ones that you will walk outside and get in the new 90D every time.

Therefore, my suggestion is let the emotional attachment go ( :) ) and let the sig go...

Mike

I think you are right, Mike. It's basically an emotional attachment that I've got to the Sig. The hoarder in me sees the value in keeping it, and the accountant in me laments the extreme depreciation. But the reality is that I will rarely drive it after getting the newer, nicer, more feature-filled Tesla.

Yeah I need to do that LOL...but I gotta keep the beater car to haul stuff around!

But it's really amazing how much we can fit into our large frunk classic cars. I have a Tahoe hybrid to tow my boat and haul stuff around. But when I'm going to my cabin and I need to take stuff, I find myself cramming my S full of the stuff rather than having to drive my Tahoe. I've had screen doors, grass sod, a large compressor, big screen TV -- you name it, I've stuffed it in!

IMG_2577.JPG
I hauled a 60 gallon water heater in it and didn't even have to remove the box. Keep the sig as your beater!

Reactions: Canuck
You could keep it to rent it out on Turo. That would pay for the cost to keep it and give people a chance to experience an EV.

You could donate it to charity. You get the tax write off, and it would be a nice bookend to a car that is obviously sentimentally valuable to you. A little more special than just trading it in.

Reactions: playoutside
Your P85 is worth more to you than anyone else. You'll never get a "true value" price. I got a trade in estimate recently and they added $7500 to the calculated trade-in. It may have been a year end order deal, but worth looking into if you can get more than their $32K offer. Good luck. Good options to have in life!

With unlimited supercharging of new cars going away, ones like the OP here may be able to sell it private party for much more than trade value due to continued free supercharging in a landscape which has oil and transport prices rising right now. Local gas pumps in my area are up nearly .30/gal in a month.