Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA HOV White sticker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine are in the glovebox. We can be very creative!

you find a cop who is having a bad day and you will get a citation - $491, plus about $350 in costs. Thats pretty pricey because you're being a tesla snob and don't want stickers on your car.

The form you get from the DMV has a date on it - the first month or two you can prob get away without putting on the stickers - claiming ' I just got them blah blah blah' but you are ASKING for an $850 citation by not 'displaying' the stickers on the vehicle.

Cops know what Tesla's cost - its why people in Porsches, BMW, Mercedes and Audi always get the tickets that people in a Chevy or Ford might get a warning for. You're not going to see any leniency intentionally violating the law. . . .

Jus go buy some bra film, cut a piece the size of the sticker backing [which is about 4x6 for the large one] and put the bra film on - then put the sticker on the bra film - when you want to remove the sticker - the bra film comes right off.

If you bought a Tesla in 2017 [or 2018] and will want car pool lane access to 12/31/2021 you might want to use the bra film method since the DMV may be issuing new stickers for post 12/11/2019 or just a little blue dot or something to distinguish the new stickers from the old . . . .

Reactions: xanatos and cwerdna
I sent mine on 12/20/2017, check was cashed on 1/12/2018 and got the stickers in the mail on 1/18/2018. I check all the docs and didn’t see any expiration date
the white sticker has a statutory expiration date of 12/31/2019 - its irrelevant that it doesn't have it on the sticker - they've been extended so many times the DMV got gun shy and is not putting dates on them -

the white sticker has a statutory expiration date of 12/31/2019 - its irrelevant that it doesn't have it on the sticker - they've been extended so many times the DMV got gun shy and is not putting dates on them -

The current white stickers actually expire on 1/1/2019! But if your sticker was issued in 2017 or 2018, you will be able to apply for a new sticker that expires on 1/1/2022.

you find a cop who is having a bad day and you will get a citation - $491, plus about $350 in costs. Thats pretty pricey because you're being a tesla snob and don't want stickers on your car.

The form you get from the DMV has a date on it - the first month or two you can prob get away without putting on the stickers - claiming ' I just got them blah blah blah' but you are ASKING for an $850 citation by not 'displaying' the stickers on the vehicle.

Absolutely correct. The exemption from the HOV requirement in the California Vehicle Code is based off having stickers properly displayed on your vehicle. And maybe you can quibble with a judge over whether a sticker near your license plate is okay versus on your bumper, but the glovebox is in no stretch of the imagination "properly display"ing your CAV decals on your vehicle.

The violation for that is simply a carpool lane violation as if you were driving a gas clunker in the HOV lane. You might get lucky with cops knowing what a Tesla is, or not bothering to enforce that, but it's in no way a guarantee. Soooo don't be surprised to get $800+ HOV violation tickets if you happen to get ensnared in a HOV lane crackdown or catch a cop on a bad mood day.

Reactions: xanatos and cwerdna
I sent both of mine in before I rec'd the plates. I waited about two weeks from delivery (tip from my DS), and sent in my forms. The DMV keys in the VIN from the form and the plate number pops up. The actual plate delivery delay is DMV processing time but Tesla actually registers your car shortly after delivery, and a plate is assigned immediately upon receipt. The remaining 4 weeks until we receive the plate is processing admin. In both cases, I rec'd my HOV stickers before the plates arrived. :)

Definitely apply for new stickers per car.
As @chillaban noted, plate readers are far more prevalent than realized.

I am wondering how did you find out your license plate number before it arrived? You have to write license plate number on the HOV application form, am I missing anything??

Tesla is not a dealer and unable to have in-house DMV processing is my understanding. Nonetheless, in both instances I was able to receive my HOV stickers in advance of plates which would be impossible if my car had not been registered by Tesla prior to my HOV application being processed. And all I really wanted was the HOV stickers anyway, so I am happy. As a fellow Angleno, you probably understand that benefit.

Again, how did you get your HOV stickers before you get your license plate? does Tesla applies these HOA stickers and keeps just like other "EV Car" dealers? I really need HOV stickers ASAP, my car is set to deliver in two weeks, is there prep work I can do to expedite the process? perhaps can Tesla apply it beforehand (like my Chevy Bolt dealer did when I leased my car)?

Again, how did you get your HOV stickers before you get your license plate? does Tesla applies these HOA stickers and keeps just like other "EV Car" dealers? I really need HOV stickers ASAP, my car is set to deliver in two weeks, is there prep work I can do to expedite the process? perhaps can Tesla apply it beforehand (like my Chevy Bolt dealer did when I leased my car)?

Or... you could just not drive in the HOV lane until you get your sticker. The other lanes also work. ;)

Reactions: cwerdna

You don't. Nope (although some CPOs may have stickers on them that can be transferred to you). Otherwise It's called pick up a passenger (maybe fellow employee at your company or neighbor going in same direction) or stay out of the lane and just grin and bear it. Alternatively risk a huge ticket.

I put just one of the small white stickers on the back - but not the other two stickers. Almost 2-1/2 years, and no problems, even when CHP was driving behind me in the HOV lane. Given the fact that CHP rarely busts even obvious HOV violaters, I'll take my chances that they'll leave me alone if they know I'm authorized. CHP would really need to be having a bad day to pick on someone just for "failure to display properly." And if they do, I'll pay the $800 without complaint.