Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA Rebate Follies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried to file for my $2500 CA rebate today on the P100D I bought yesterday. The site wouldn't let me do it because it's a 2017 model and they don't have the correct VIN code yet from Tesla. They hope to get it from them by next week and say there is plenty of cash available through next summer.

My Tesla was delivered in early July. After completing all the rebate paperwork, I was notified that funds had run dry at the end of June and my request would be saved in case funding becomes available. A couple months ago, I received an email that funding had been restored and a check was being processed. It arrived a couple weeks later. Be patient...

Not to pry, but you still qualify under the CA rebate maximum income limit but you have a P100D and a Corvette track car? That's must be a rare slice of demographic that you inhabit.

This post is so shortsighted that I don't even know where to begin.... First of all, please get your hands / eyes out of OP's pockets. Nobody should need to justify how they purchased their car on any forum.. How about inharitance? How about savings? How about really modest lifestyle with a dream of owning a P100D? How about no kids because your priorities lie somewhere else? How about a loan over 80-90 months? It's very doable in many circumstances..

This post is so shortsighted that I don't even know where to begin.... First of all, please get your hands / eyes out of OP's pockets. Nobody should need to justify how they purchased their car on any forum.. How about inharitance? How about savings? How about really modest lifestyle with a dream of owning a P100D? How about no kids because your priorities lie somewhere else? How about a loan over 80-90 months? It's very doable in many circumstances..
I wasn't insulting him, I just found it curious. if he was uncomfortable answering it he wouldn't have answered it.

Reactions: gabeincal
Modest income, decent savings, no debt or responsibilities . Vette is my only car and will be sold once I bring my P100D home.

Sweet! I sold my 2006 Corvette Z06 last year when I bought my 2015 P85D. I drove a P100D Ludicrous on an "overnight extended test drive" yesterday and it was AMAZING. You're gonna love it a lot more than the Corvette. My Z06 is a distant memory... Don't miss it at all.

Reactions: gabeincal
That's must be a rare slice of demographic that you inhabit.

This has nothing at all to do with the OP but I recently struck up a good conversation with a Tesla employee on a long flight and learned about a very interesting demographic that's buying $120K+ performance models in the San Joaquin Valley and also remains fully eligible for all the CA rebates. Kudos to them...I hear being a "public servant" in CA is really hard work.

This has nothing at all to do with the OP but I recently struck up a good conversation with a Tesla employee on a long flight and learned about a very interesting demographic that's buying $120K+ performance models in the San Joaquin Valley and also remains fully eligible for all the CA rebates. Kudos to them...I hear being a "public servant" in CA is really hard work.
Yeah. I think it's also just people in different stages of their lives. The reason I reacted to it is that, even though our household income excludes us from the CA rebate program, I could also never justify in my head the price of a P model especially with the L upgrade. The extra cost over a plain jane version just seemed completely irrational. But we've also got young kids and all those other common responsibilities. So the calculus for me when it comes to spending on "fun" stuff is a bit different. I buy for functionality first, fun second.

I actually commend the OP for living within his means and spending on the things that are important to him.

The reason I reacted to it is that, even though our household income excludes us from the CA rebate program, I could also never justify in my head the price of a P model especially with the L upgrade. The extra cost over a plain jane version just seemed completely irrational.

We are in the exact same boat - *personally* I can't justify 150k on any car, but have no issue purchasing that much in equities. Also I was being sarcastic about saying kudos to our 250k+ pensioned politicians buying Teslas, but that's a conversation for another time.

• Funny
Reactions: ModelX