Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why not just order the stickers now, using your current plates and VIN? Ultimately, it is attached to your VIN anyway. I wouldn't even bother updating the DMV when the new plates arrive. You have a registration sheet that comes with them. Any trouble, which would be unheard of, you show them that paper.
I ordered my stickers as soon as my standard plate arrived, and have had them on my vehicle for 2 months now. It took 40 days from order date for them to arrive. I can’t say they have helped all that much, since most of the HOV lanes in the Bay Areal are getting converted to FasTrak Express lanes. Even the 50% discount with the sticker seems overpriced most of the time, so I find myself just avoiding them.

Sent in my application / check while still on the temporary tags. Mailed in about 6/20...check cleared 7/26. My permanent plates came in a week prior to the check clearing, so I think my gamble worked and they probably tied the decals to permanent plates.

Of course, I also applied for personal plates through all of this - so I'll update the info on the stickers once the new personal plates arrive. Got PPF cutouts for the decals, which will go on a fully wrapped (w/ PPF car) at that. Have the magnets been worth it, or do they only stick to the rear quarter panel and hence, don't make it "fully compliant"?

Have the magnets been worth it, or do they only stick to the rear quarter panel and hence, don't make it "fully compliant"?
Magnets will not stick to the plastic bumper (front or rear).

Here are the locations to stick them on (large ones on the rear sides, small ones on the front bumper; see Clean Air Vehicle Decals for Using Carpool and HOV Lanes - California DMV ):

large_decal.png

cav_decal_placement_front.png

If you are wanting to apply them with magnets so that you can immediately remove them after your drive (which you should to avoid theft), there is no place on the front bumper of the Model 3 that will work. For the rear side stickers, magnets will work on the quarter panel above the bumper seam.

Reactions: julit0
Magnets will not stick to the plastic bumper (front or rear).

Here are the locations to stick them on (large ones on the rear sides, small ones on the front bumper; see Clean Air Vehicle Decals for Using Carpool and HOV Lanes - California DMV ):

large_decal.png

cav_decal_placement_front.png

If you are wanting to apply them with magnets so that you can immediately remove them after your drive (which you should to avoid theft), there is no place on the front bumper of the Model 3 that will work. For the rear side stickers, magnets will work on the quarter panel above the bumper seam.
Thank you...looks like it's Decal+PPF on the PPF. 😆

Yes, that is how I did it on my wife's M3. On my MS, I put it on the black plastic below the bumper. No PPF there.
Does anyone know if it will be a problem pulling off the PPF from the PPF later? (don't bother asking why. long story...)
No problem at all, comes out just as easy (assuming the bottom PPF is applied to a surface already). Just apply some soapy water in between the layers (getting the water in as a corner is lifted) and it comes off fairly easily. Where it becomes really hard to get PPF off PPF is if both tacky sides stick to each other (which might happen before application).

• Informative
Reactions: julit0 and 4SUPER9
Got ‘em today! About 5 weeks from mail-in to the DMV. I even did it while on my Temporary Paper tags. The check didn’t clear for about 4 weeks, and right before that, my metal plates came in. Gamble paid off and my current metal plate numbers are properly linked and on all the DMV paperwork. Once my personal plates arrive, guess I’ll file the form to change the registration.
D11E356E-95C6-4131-973C-EDAAD4A30BEA.jpeg

Got ‘em today! About 5 weeks from mail-in to the DMV. I even did it while on my Temporary Paper tags. The check didn’t clear for about 4 weeks, and right before that, my metal plates came in. Gamble paid off and my current metal plate numbers are properly linked and on all the DMV paperwork. Once my personal plates arrive, guess I’ll file the form to change the registration.
View attachment 834434
Just curious as to what plate number you put down on the paperwork. Did you use the paper plates, did you know your metal plates, or did you leave it blank?

I personally would not bother with updating them with your personalized plates. The stickers are still tied to your VIN. I guess there is the possible benefit of getting a discount going through a transponder, but I don’t think that exists anywhere anymore.

Reactions: julit0
Just curious as to what plate number you put down on the paperwork. Did you use the paper plates, did you know your metal plates, or did you leave it blank?

I personally would not bother with updating them with your personalized plates. The stickers are still tied to your VIN. I guess there is the possible benefit of getting a discount going through a transponder, but I don’t think that exists anywhere anymore.
I used my Paper Tag numbers/letters. Based on the paperwork I have now - my metal plate registration was issued on 7/03 - car picked up 6/17. The CAV HOV decal card was issued 7/13. So the 10 day overlap between Metal Plate issuance and their processing of my decals must have been enough that they just used the new plate information. I sent in the application within 3-4 days of when I picked up the car. When the check cleared the DMV, I knew I was ok.

In case anyone is curious about the current timeline in California for plates and stickers, here is the time it took to receive mine. I received my car on March 23, 2022, and received my standard plates less than a month later on April 20. I ordered my HOV stickers and personalized plates on the same day. The HOV stickers came under six weeks later on May 31, and the personalized plates showed up today, Aug 5, taking 3.5 months to arrive from the April 20 order date. I’m documenting this here because I was curious about the timelines and assume some of you might be too.

The good news is that personalized plates are coming much faster now. They are not taking 6-9 months like they did last year. I did call the DMV for status and was told that the plates were backlogged because of Covid in the prisons, but timelines were improving. Yes, CA does use prison labor to make license plates! (I always wondered if that was true.)

Just a CA DMV registration renewal update.

I've been a member with AAA for a few decades and have always renewed my registration for my cars at their local office. However, lately it's been super packed at any of their offices around me and wasting 2-3 hours in the day to get a car's registration renewed is such a waste of my time.

Recently, the CA DMV site has been pushing online auto reg renewals with a quick turn-around time. I decided to try it out and I submitted my renewal online last Sunday night (7/31), so I figured it wouldn't start to get processed until as early as Monday (8/1). Fast-forward a handful of days later, and I received my registration renewal sticker & paperwork in the mail this past Saturday (8/6). So it literally took approx 5-6 days from the time I submitted & paid for my renewal online, to when I received everything in hand.

I realize I could've got them at the right time when they were slow, just like when submitting a HOV decal app (you either get it within a month of mailing in your app, or it takes 6+ months). I also realize the DMV might be more busy later on if you use this renewal service, but that was my personal experience with the service that I wanted to share & pass along in case that's something you're interested in.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
View attachment 834434
Did you put them on? If so what did you use? PPF, Magnet, or just straight on the car?

Did you put them on? If so what did you use? PPF, Magnet, or just straight on the car?
Yes, put them on fully using the PPF backing first. Basically, I didn’t want to give the police another excuse to pull me over. Used a wet application method and lined them up accordingly. Happy with how it came out - and every time I commute in the HOV past traffic, they(stickers) bother me less and less.

7781CFB1-49BD-4C52-888D-FC74F1C712F0.jpegF278C2E6-724D-4A06-A97A-5948746B5A45.jpeg69A61442-4260-42A8-8688-2A91DD0E3838.jpeg

Has anyone applied and received the HOV sticker recently?

What was the turnaround time between sending in the application and receiving the decals/stickers?

I mailed in my application exactly one month ago today and haven’t heard back from the DMV. The check for the application hasn’t even been cashed yet.

I didn’t get the mail returned so I assume the application got to the DMV and is sitting in someone’s inbox?

Appreciate if someone can give me some info on this one.

How does the license plate transfer work? I filled out the form before the delivery to transfer my legacy plates from my current car to MY. Do I have to wait for the new plates to come before I do anything? I’m keeping the current car so probably need new plates for it too