Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had to get generic plates issued and then exchanged for the personalized every time I did it. Not sure if there is any way to avoid that.
Also, note, it can be a LOOONNNNGGGG wait to get the personalized plates made and delivered to the DMV office of your choice.

• Informative
Reactions: 11thIndian
Anyone that recently asked for HOV decals, how long did it take for DMV to cash your check, and how long for the stickers in the mail? I want to mail mine in so the check gets cashed no sooner than January. With the amount of Teslas that have been selling I can imagine that the backlog has only gotten worse.

Anybody notice the size of the "orange" decal to be smaller? Or is it just me?

Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 18.10.52.png

I don't get it. Why do they want both small orange decals in the front? Why the change and what purpose does it serve? Is it because most people don't put the one in the front and if they change the instruction to put 2 in the front you can't ignore it? :p
I've got one on the rear and the rest in the center console. The worst thing I get is a fix-it ticket.

My motto is: it ain't illegal if you don't get caught :D

Reactions: FlatSix911
That is what the DMV says to do.
View attachment 493831
I doubt it. It's most likely just someone not perfectly matching the screen shot size for their web site.

Read the text. Small decals: "For green and red decals (and presumably orange), place on the right side of each bumper, front and rear, with the state pointed up on the bottom of the decal."

i.e. the front bumper only needs a single, small decal. Either the text instructions are wrong or the graphic is wrong. Or maybe the graphic is only showing alternate location for the front.

When I installed the red sticker on my Bolt earlier this year, I'm pretty sure the instructions that came with it showed a single small decal on the front.