Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is another possible reason for the delays. I finally received my decals the other day and the flap for my envelope was wrapped around and sealed onto another envelope for someone else. It was then sent through DMV's postage machine and mailed. USPS then sorted and delivered it to me. You can clearly and easily tell it was two envelopes. It should have been rejected for insufficient postage for the weight. I added postage to the other envelope and mailed it this morning.

FYI – I just called yesterday and they said they were up to applications from Feb 16. On the bright side, they confirmed the PDF VIN list is correct that the 2015 *california* P85D I ordered miraculously got it's sticker after 2017!

FYI – I just called yesterday and they said they were up to applications from Feb 16. On the bright side, they confirmed the PDF VIN list is correct that the 2015 *california* P85D I ordered miraculously got it's sticker after 2017!
Could you share what number you called to check the status of your application? We're almost at the end of March, and they haven't even cashed my check. This is beyond frustrating.

You can call the Special Processing Unit at 916-657-9035. You will get a recording if the office is closed. During normal hours you will also get a recording and will be told that they have a heavy call volume. After listening to music on hold for a while, you will get an option to leave a call back number. If you do leave a number, you will get a live (not machine generated) call back (so be sure to answer). You will get a pleasant helpful staffer who will check the system with your license plate or VIN. But they are 2 months behind in opening the mail and processing applications for HOV stickers. So if they have not opened your mailing, there is nothing they can tell you. It's not their fault--the DMV does not assign sufficient staff, and the volumes of applicants in 2019 (...really with the ramped up deliveries of Model 3) has exploded. Remember a couple of years ago they just had a small number of Tesla applicants and a few Volt & Leaf applications to handle. They probably now get the same number of applications in 1 month that they used to get all year. Not sure what congressman or state senator you want to complain to, but I doubt there will be much sympathy or effort to change. The DMV is overworked and underfunded, and for sure any 'enhancement' of the 'HOV entitlement' will not be looked upon fondly. YMMV.

BTW, I know the above since I just called this morning.....

• Informative
Reactions: kishorekv
You can call the Special Processing Unit at 916-657-9035. You will get a recording if the office is closed. During normal hours you will also get a recording and will be told that they have a heavy call volume. After listening to music on hold for a while, you will get an option to leave a call back number. If you do leave a number, you will get a live (not machine generated) call back (so be sure to answer). You will get a pleasant helpful staffer who will check the system with your license plate or VIN. But they are 2 months behind in opening the mail and processing applications for HOV stickers. So if they have not opened your mailing, there is nothing they can tell you. It's not their fault--the DMV does not assign sufficient staff, and the volumes of applicants in 2019 (...really with the ramped up deliveries of Model 3) has exploded. Remember a couple of years ago they just had a small number of Tesla applicants and a few Volt & Leaf applications to handle. They probably now get the same number of applications in 1 month that they used to get all year. Not sure what congressman or state senator you want to complain to, but I doubt there will be much sympathy or effort to change. The DMV is overworked and underfunded, and for sure any 'enhancement' of the 'HOV entitlement' will not be looked upon fondly. YMMV.

BTW, I know the above since I just called this morning.....
@JPP Thanks a lot mate! A small correction to your post, which you can hopefully edit.

I called the 916-657-9035 number, which got immediately answered (~4:58pm) by an employee who said that they don't have the status information.

I was directed instead to contact 916-657-8035, the field office support team, to check on the status. I called, and got a hold time off about 25 minutes before someone answered the call. After getting my license plate number, make and model information, I was told that they processed my application on 3/23 - a Saturday nonetheless! And that I should receive my stickers within 30 days.

I can sympathize with the employees dealing with this avalanche of applications, while at the same time frustrated that the DMV as an agency let's this backup to build up.

@JPP Thanks a lot mate! A small correction to your post, which you can hopefully edit.

I called the 916-657-9035 number, which got immediately answered (~4:58pm) by an employee who said that they don't have the status information.

I was directed instead to contact 916-657-8035, the field office support team, to check on the status. I called, and got a hold time off about 25 minutes before someone answered the call. After getting my license plate number, make and model information, I was told that they processed my application on 3/23 - a Saturday nonetheless! And that I should receive my stickers within 30 days.

I can sympathize with the employees dealing with this avalanche of applications, while at the same time frustrated that the DMV as an agency let's this backup to build up.

...my bad...typo in the number--thanks for catching it.

Does anyone know if you can apply for a sticker using a temporary plate from Tesla? Just picked up my used Model X and to my surprise, it had never been issued a HOV sticker. Do I have to wait for the real plates to come?

I used a made up number for the plate. Still got my stickers.

As long as the name matches on registration/VIN they will process it.

Plus it's taking them at least 1 month to even review the applications, so you should be fine.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
There is some risk that CHP could challenge you later.
I think they expect the plate on the vehicle to match the stickers.
Chances of them trying to connect all the dots is probably slim, but still, the proper way to do it is to register the stickers to your permanent plates.
Being more patient may be a better choice in the long term.

Reactions: K3Man
Chances of them trying to connect all the dots is probably slim, but still, the proper way to do it is to register the stickers to your permanent plates.

When I got my stickers, the plate number and VIN matched my vehicle. Even though I put a random plate number on my application.

They updated the plate numbers accordingly.

I think all that really matters is the VIN number. You can't change that on a car but you could change your plate to a custom vanity plate later too.

Does anyone know if you can apply for a sticker using a temporary plate from Tesla? Just picked up my used Model X and to my surprise, it had never been issued a HOV sticker. Do I have to wait for the real plates to come?
Just leave the plate field blank if you haven't received the metal plates yet. They won't look at the application until after the plates have been issued, so they will pull it from the DMV database from your VIN. If everything else on the application matches, they will issue the stickers and certificate.