Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calling all SR+ Owners! Mileage/battery health?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m curious as to how everyone’s Model 3 SR+ batteries are holding up! I’ll go 1st:

June 2020 SR+, 38K miles, 210 miles at 100% charge

Originally when I bought it I was supposed to have 250 at 100% but never saw anything higher than 240. Love most everything about the car, but I am curious what the future holds for these batteries (and how expensive the replacements will be) over time.

How are the other SR+ owners out there doing?

2021 SR+ 11,600 miles. I rarely charge to 100%, but checking the range at the 50% mark typically gets around 120 miles, so probably in the 230 to 240 range at 100%.

I have been tracking my battery with a spreadsheet. Last reading shows about a 7% degradation. Here is what I have so far:

Screen Shot 2022-12-22 at 10.20.50 AM.png

Reactions: InfinitySky
Remember that tire and wheel cover options make quite a difference in range, so that has to to taken into account when comparing range between cars. I think you can normalize the results by selecting 18in tires and aero wheel covers in the car menu, and it will then update the range figures to the base option; reset to the actual configuration after you read the updated range.

Reactions: InfinitySky
2023 SR+: Fresh of the carrier at 14 miles odometer. 100% reads 276 miles. It's strange that Tesla recommends charging to 100% for better battery life. I was always told to charge batteries to 80%
2022-2023 SR+/RWD (and a few late 2021 SR+) have LFP batteries that are likely to degrade less than NCA batteries used in SR+ through 2021 (and also still used in LR and P -- LFP batteries are bigger and heavier for the same capacity so an LFP battery would not fit in an LR or P).

Degradation is likely to be less for NCA batteries if kept at 55% or lower most of the time. For LFP batteries, there may be a benefit of less degradation staying at 70% or lower most of the time, but the overall less degradation of LFP batteries may make that benefit hard to notice.

LFP batteries have a flat voltage curve, so if the BMS does not see 100% very often, it may lose track of the true state of charge. This is why Tesla recommends charging LFP batteries to 100% at least once per week.

Bottom line with LFP batteries is that your charging pattern choices are:
  • Charge to 100% all the time.
  • Charge to 70% or less unless you need more, and charge to 100% once per week, if you want to try to reduce the degradation (such reduction may not be noticeable).

Reactions: Jsch223
Wasn't your original EPA range 240 miles? So 217 miles at 100% would be 9.6% degradation or 90.4% SOH. I wonder what's causing the discrepancy between the battery test in service and what your BMS is reporting.
Yeah probably cannot trust that test since it does not report capacity. Results require interpretation/translation. Could just be using the wrong denominator; hard to say. This issue doesn’t matter if you are the service department because interpretation is known.

Reactions: johnny_cakes
Really? I thought at the very least it would impact it similar to removing the aero wheels on the 18" wheels. And on Tesla's website, they knock off a marginal five miles, so maybe it's not a lot but it's whatever that comes out to, two percent? :/

View attachment 932488View attachment 932489
Nope, changes nothing. Note the huge difference here - “EPA est.” vs “est.” -which is crucial.

Of course this impacts your range but the context here was rated range (since you were talking about the 100% number) not range.

Last edited: