Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calling P85D owners world-wide for survey and complaint letter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would you be bummed about a feature being introduced across multiple models? That's a good thing.

to me, the P90DL max power mode is a bit of a hack to overdraw from the battery that could end up harming the life of the battery. unlike regular insane / ludicrous modes which... should be completely within safety margins. feels like a launch control do-this-then-that-then-wait mode rather than a just plant your foot and go.

Fair - but it was not to judge him, but as he has been posting as if he had first hand knowledge about the P85D I just called him out. But fair enough if he felt judged :)

You don't need to own a P85D to have first hand knowledge. I have a P85+. When I first read about the P85D, I was ready to take a loss on selling my P85+ and upgrade. I drove a P85D. It had less than 20% charge, and it didn't impress me. I later got to drive one with ~ 90% charge. It pulled enough "g's" to nearly make me nauseous, but it wasn't that much better than my P85+ except from a standing start. I couldn't tolerate the whine from the front motor, and I didn't appreciate having a smaller frunk. I didn't care what was advertised about the P85D, I based my decision to forgo an upgrade based on "first hand knowledge". In any event I would not have made a decision to upgrade without "first hand knowledge". I did like the performance seats and adaptive cruise control. If I lived in a snow zone, my decision would have been different as AWD would be a plus for ice and snow.

to me, the P90DL max power mode is a bit of a hack to overdraw from the battery that could end up harming the life of the battery. unlike regular insane / ludicrous modes which... should be completely within safety margins. feels like a launch control do-this-then-that-then-wait mode rather than a just plant your foot and go.

..and now from the completely unrealistic expectations department.

You think launching an ICE car has just as much wear and tear as cruising down the highway like grandma? Do you also think you can get just in any car and floor it and get maximum horsepower? How about in a car that limits your max RPM's until ~10 minutes when the engine finally warms up like any M badge BMW? :-/ Why is this "oh cool" in a BMW and "this s*** sucks I want maximum power now" in a Tesla?

If there's any car on the planet that "plant your foot and go" it's a Tesla.

..and now from the completely unrealistic expectations department.

You think launching an ICE car has just as much wear and tear as cruising down the highway like grandma? Do you also think you can get just in any car and floor it and get maximum horsepower? How about in a car that limits your max RPM's until ~10 minutes when the engine finally warms up like any M badge BMW? :-/ Why is this "oh cool" in a BMW and "this s*** sucks I want maximum power now" in a Tesla?

If there's any car on the planet that "plant your foot and go" it's a Tesla.
I assume it simply was a reference to teslas own D-event blog. That blog specifically address the "just put your foot down and go"-term. So adding a power-button like this reduces some of the validity there.

important? No:)

I assume it simply was a reference to teslas own D-event blog. That blog specifically address the "just put your foot down and go"-term. So adding a power-button like this reduces some of the validity there.

important? No:)

thank you for your comprehension. that is why i chose the word "bummed" originally, since it really does not matter in the slightest.

Last edited:
I don't think the 0.1 seconds of time you'd miss by not taking the extra step to push the max acceleration button prior to launch should be any reason to be bummed. Most of the time you should have the extra 3 seconds it takes to do this step if the time is that important to you.

I don't think the 0.1 seconds of time you'd miss by not taking the extra step to push the max acceleration button prior to launch should be any reason to be bummed. Most of the time you should have the extra 3 seconds it takes to do this step if the time is that important to you.

yah sure the swipe is easy, but the 5-10 min of driving around /while/ prepping that pete90d mentioned is kind of silly.

yah sure the swipe is easy, but the 5-10 min of driving around /while/ prepping that pete90d mentioned is kind of silly.

It's worse than that because it's variable. I've had it take 2 miles to become ready and 10 miles to become ready. I have no idea whatsoever what the hell is going on with it. It also turns off randomly so you can't use it reliably on a track either.

If you intend to street race today, press the button when you're pulling out of the garage. Maybe that's everyday.

Beyond testing I've never use it. I never saw a noticeable difference.

I don't believe that is the subject of this thread, is it? I thought this thread was about the 0-60 discrepancy in the EU.
The thread starts out discussing the horsepower-issue:) it is very much an issue for the danes since the danish design studio actually listed the car as 700hp without the infamous motor power wording next to it. So they have the most clear cut case for objection in my mind. There is no way around the fact that Tesla sold the car as having 700hp in Denmark.

Of course now Tesla is telling the danes they have to go out of the country to feel the real performance of the car in high altitude environments:) Wonder how much they laughed when coming up with that.

The thread starts out discussing the horsepower-issue:) it is very much an issue for the danes since the danish design studio actually listed the car as 700hp without the infamous motor power wording next to it. So they have the most clear cut case for objection in my mind. There is no way around the fact that Tesla sold the car as having 700hp in Denmark.

Of course now Tesla is telling the danes they have to go out of the country to feel the real performance of the car in high altitude environments:) Wonder how much they laughed when coming up with that.

I thought they were simply stating how they got to that number. If you aren't testing the car in the exact same manner you won't see the same results.

They didn't. I was talking about the 0-60 time which they claimed was derated by a software update.

OK. Sorry for the confusion.

Below is the quote you had excerpted when you made your comment. Since that quote was referring to the 700HP issue, I thought when you wrote "stating how they got to that number" you were referring to the HP number.

I thought they were simply stating how they got to that number. If you aren't testing the car in the exact same manner you won't see the same results.
Really? Are you actually trying to justify this as well?

Then maybe they need an asterix for that as well... * "not possible in Denmark"

There is nowhere in that country those conditions apply, and the reasoning is getting so out there now I almost want to cry....

Really? Are you actually trying to justify this as well?

Then maybe they need an asterix for that as well... * "not possible in Denmark"

There is nowhere in that country those conditions apply, and the reasoning is getting so out there now I almost want to cry....
I remember power loss of an ICE is typically 3-4% per 1000 ft elevation. Denmark's highest elevation is 560 ft, so 1.7-2.4% loss there (12-17 hp loss for a theoretical 691 hp car). Not much but still measurable (similar to running air conditioning on full blast in an ICE car).

Last edited: