Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Came out to a broken screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've started noticing air bubbles in our screen on the right edge. Ranger said he had one where the liquid leaked out into the under-screen cubby and made a huge mess. He also mentioned there was a "screen only" repair price but can't recall the cost off the top of my head. Screen is still working and we're out of warranty so we'll just let it ride until the bubbles become bothersome (or the liquid pours out into the car :p).
I just had mine replaced out of warranty. It was $1k installed by Tesla.

Argh. Thanks for the info everyone. Looks like we should get it done sooner rather than later. Do we know for sure that they updated the screen or are they just newer and so have not yet failed?

Now I'm going to go out and nose around the cubby to look for liquid....

Reactions: apacheguy
Argh. Thanks for the info everyone. Looks like we should get it done sooner rather than later. Do we know for sure that they updated the screen or are they just newer and so have not yet failed?

Now I'm going to go out and nose around the cubby to look for liquid....

See the following posts for what to look for, and my hypothesis on if it was fixed or not:

bubbles on touchscreen

bubbles on touchscreen

• Helpful
Reactions: strider
Rogbmw, as I recall you're an early S owner, right? Isn't your car a late 2012 or early 2013? I think this issue was fixed awhile ago for newer cars.
I came out from work yesterday afternoon, and the center screen was cracked. Temps yesterday was about 70 degrees for the high. 1 month past the 4 year warranty..... Hopefully TESLA will take care of it, but if they don't I am glad I purchased the extended warranty from them.

My 2013 center console burned out. I was just over 50k miles. 4700 bucks to repair.
I fought tooth and nail to get the center console to salvage the parts, they wanted to keep it as they are rebuilding/reselling them. You get a used part but they don't tell you that up front.

See the following posts for what to look for, and my hypothesis on if it was fixed or not:

bubbles on touchscreen

bubbles on touchscreen
Thanks for the links. Property taxes are due this month and income taxes next month - not a good time for extra expenses. Have to see what that tax damage is and see if we can work in a replacement or wait until May. Hopefully it doesn't decide to just give way one day...

I'm really hoping Lucid comes out w/ a viable product to force Tesla to get their act together. Sheesh.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Rogbmw, as I recall you're an early S owner, right? Isn't your car a late 2012 or early 2013? I think this issue was fixed awhile ago for newer cars.

Hi Todd - yes - our S is an early Feb 2013 car, vin 40xx. It goes in today at lunch time for the new seat replacement (something broke inside the seat with a piece of plastic found under the seat and they are going to replace the entire seat) and they are also going to do the screen. I will post here what they say. I am outside the original 4 year warranty by 1 month and 6 days, but have the extended warranty in case it is not covered by Tesla.

Folks, new to the forum so please forgive the shorthand. I left the car at the airport covered parking in Houston. When I got back there was what looks like a crack from the middle of the screen in U-shape upwards. Per Houston North service center this is a common $1300 dollar problem on older Model S cards. Since the car is over 4 years they will not replace it under warranty. What is more interesting is that the replacement is the same lamination method hence it is prone to do the same thing again. So to put this in perspective if you leave your car in 30-degree heat outdoors and it is an older model you are going to get $1300 visit going at some point in time. I Just wanted to post this since few folks have dismissed the possibility in their posts.

Folks, new to the forum so please forgive the shorthand. I left the car at the airport covered parking in Houston. When I got back there was what looks like a crack from the middle of the screen in U-shape upwards. Per Houston North service center this is a common $1300 dollar problem on older Model S cards. Since the car is over 4 years they will not replace it under warranty. What is more interesting is that the replacement is the same lamination method hence it is prone to do the same thing again. So to put this in perspective if you leave your car in 30-degree heat outdoors and it is an older model you are going to get $1300 visit going at some point in time. I Just wanted to post this since few folks have dismissed the possibility in their posts.
Do you have any proof that the replacement is the same lamination method?

I am sorry to bump on this thread. But as a 2012 owner, I experienced the same issue. SC stated that they are aware of the issue and defect but will not replace under warranty. Has anyone had any success with SC without having to get an attorney to force the issue? Also, if I am hiring an attorney, I may as well fund a class action since there are several threads on this topic already. Any help on how to deal with SC without having to escalate to a lawsuit is appreciated. P.S To me the fact that 1. They know of the issue 2. they have corrected in later models without a recall and 3. that now they updated software to protect the interior from overheating all mean that initial owners are being left out. Hence more merit to a class action.

Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
I am sorry to bump on this thread. But as a 2012 owner, I experienced the same issue. SC stated that they are aware of the issue and defect but will not replace under warranty. Has anyone had any success with SC without having to get an attorney to force the issue? Also, if I am hiring an attorney, I may as well fund a class action since there are several threads on this topic already. Any help on how to deal with SC without having to escalate to a lawsuit is appreciated. P.S To me the fact that 1. They know of the issue 2. they have corrected in later models without a recall and 3. that now they updated software to protect the interior from overheating all mean that initial owners are being left out. Hence more merit to a class action.
I am in..
my screen started getting bubbles while at Service! just before the overheat protection software.... about 1 month after warranty
I have asked many many times about a possible recall...or if this is a known issue etc....nothing. BS
I spent 3 years running back and forth between service that is 250 miles away for many lame issues, some stuff should be extended on the crappy parts that they clearly know about and have changed.

Try another service center? Be direct... as you have been here (if you havent already). I've heard of alot of good will replacements when you confront them with the facts

Reactions: Evoforce
I am in..
my screen started getting bubbles while at Service! just before the overheat protection software.... about 1 month after warranty
I have asked many many times about a possible recall...or if this is a known issue etc....nothing. BS
I spent 3 years running back and forth between service that is 250 miles away for many lame issues, some stuff should be extended on the crappy parts that they clearly know about and have changed.
Try another service center? Be direct... as you have been here (if you havent already). I've heard of alot of good will replacements when you confront them with the facts

I have been very upfront and have tried several centers here in town. No help. Also replying to @Zextraterestrial. I have over 24 names plus yours now and as soon as I am at 40 folks. I think we have all we need to have a judge certify this as a class action. As Tesla shareholder, I hate doing this, But I also cannot agree with the way the early adopters are being treated by the company who relied on early adoption for their growth.

Reactions: croman
I think we have all we need to have a judge certify this as a class action. As Tesla shareholder, I hate doing this, But I also cannot agree with the way the early adopters are being treated by the company who relied on early adoption for their growth.
Am I understanding this correctly? You've been a Model S owner for 6 years and have not participated on this site in all that time, then your first post is to suggest starting a class action lawsuit against Tesla because they won't fix something for free that happened after your car was out of warranty?

You did say you would appreciate help on how to deal with SC without having to escalate to a lawsuit. Instead of dealing with the SC, have you tried the executive escalation option under Support after logging into your account? (I realize many owners have reported not getting a followup response, but maybe you at least try to exhaust that option before invoking the lawyers.) Just a suggestion.

• Helpful
Reactions: Fiddler
I hate to say this... but I do think we need a class action lawsuit regarding this. Because it isn’t normal and a obvious defect. Even with that being said I still support Tesla 120%. I really believe Elon and the team are working on some many things they might not notice the small issues