Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Came out to a broken screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I came out from work yesterday afternoon, and the center screen was cracked. Temps yesterday was about 70 degrees for the high. 1 month past the 4 year warranty..... Hopefully TESLA will take care of it, but if they don't I am glad I purchased the extended warranty from them.

Sorry - I was not implying that it was due to temperature. It was overcast all day, and the temperature range for yesterday was about 15 degrees from the high to the low, and the high was around 70 degrees. So there is not really any way I would think that such a mild temperature would cause it to crack. I just did not understand how it would crack like it did. I am actually scheduled for service on the car to replace the driver's seat (something broke inside it a while back where they cannot get to, and they have received the new seat for replacement), so they are going to replace the screen at the appointment Thursday. The group at the Orlando center are very helpful.

I came out from work yesterday afternoon, and the center screen was cracked. Temps yesterday was about 70 degrees for the high. 1 month past the 4 year warranty..... Hopefully TESLA will take care of it, but if they don't I am glad I purchased the extended warranty from them.
Sorry to hear that. First time I can recall seeing someone report a cracked center display screen that did not involve some sort of impact.

I think it is cracked - but may be delaminating. Here is a picture:
screen2_zps9o9cuipb.jpg

That's delamination. It's covered under warranty. There are many threads here about it, and I've had an extensive battle with Tesla, culminating with replacing it myself with a salvage screen. Its a real problem in hotter climates, and supposedly fixed on newer cars. If you're not under warranty (like myself), Tesla has recently come out with a "fix" of selling only the screen for like 1200 or something. Let me know if you have additional questions, I spent 6+ months on this issue with them

That's delamination. It's covered under warranty. There are many threads here about it, and I've had an extensive battle with Tesla, culminating with replacing it myself with a salvage screen. Its a real problem in hotter climates, and supposedly fixed on newer cars. If you're not under warranty (like myself), Tesla has recently come out with a "fix" of selling only the screen for like 1200 or something. Let me know if you have additional questions, I spent 6+ months on this issue with them

Did they ever specify when the issue was fixed on the newer builds? The repair order states they replaced my screen with a Rev. M unit. My biggest concern is that the same issue will crop up in another year or two on this unit.

$1500. Still better than the $5 or $6k they were charging when they replaced the entire unit

I just heard Tesla sold 200 cars to Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

How will its 17" screen tolerate a record heat of 55 Celsius or 131 Fahrenheit degrees over there?
Pretty sure this was the real reason behind the "emergency cooling" for pets and children, that kicks in now when interior temps reach 105°.

We've started noticing air bubbles in our screen on the right edge. Ranger said he had one where the liquid leaked out into the under-screen cubby and made a huge mess. He also mentioned there was a "screen only" repair price but can't recall the cost off the top of my head. Screen is still working and we're out of warranty so we'll just let it ride until the bubbles become bothersome (or the liquid pours out into the car :p).

• Informative
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
We've started noticing air bubbles in our screen on the right edge. Ranger said he had one where the liquid leaked out into the under-screen cubby and made a huge mess. He also mentioned there was a "screen only" repair price but can't recall the cost off the top of my head. Screen is still working and we're out of warranty so we'll just let it ride until the bubbles become bothersome (or the liquid pours out into the car :p).

If there are bubbles, then theres already liquid in the cubby below the MCU where you'd put a phone or wallet. It collects in the channels and sits there. I had probably about 2-3 tablespoons full and an entire 1/2" bubble around the screen, never saw it leak out. Its absolutely disgusting and would quickly ruin any cloth it touches. I'm pretty sure the screen only repair is 1200 or something in that ballpark. You used to have to redo the entire MCU. The screen only repair is DIY if you're comfortable taking trim apart on your car and you've built your own computer or something like that before.

I have a 2014 and live in LA where my car has been in brutal heat a lot. I have also spent a good amount of time in Nevada and Arizona where it gets even hotter. No problems with the screen. I've also had the car in very cold weather in Wisconsin. I don't think it's a general problem. I guess there must be a time window when they had some production issues with the screen.