Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camping Mattress for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Help! Everyone makes a camping mattress for Models 3, X, and Y. But NO ONE makes a camping mattress for a Model S, unless you want to spend a lot of $$$ and space on a Dreamcase. I don't. Those of us with a Model S want to camp, too! I've tried air mattresses--they're a hassle and don't work well.

Tesmat? Tescamp? Nothing. What gives?

Any other suggestions?

I tried airmatress, I even tried some regular sponge padding that I cut to fit the Model S. Nope, nothing works well. I decided to invest in the Dreamcast, and man it's amazing. Costly, but well worth a great night's sleep if you plan to car camp. I've done a few trips, and will be using it on a cross country trip in a few months.

Expensive but well worth the investment if you plan on doing a few car camping trips.

I have an S and I've used a $30 Coleman twin size air mattress for 4 years now and it works flawlessly in the back of my car.
Maybe you are just finding a problem that doesn't exist 🤷‍♂️🤯

And I don't want to hear *sugar* about how you have a bad back, neck, or other joints and you need to sleep on a cloud or some other type of BS.
Because all my joints are trash from being overworked and jumping out of planes my whole life, and I sleep great on that cheap air mattress in the back of my car.

I tried airmatress, I even tried some regular sponge padding that I cut to fit the Model S. Nope, nothing works well. I decided to invest in the Dreamcast, and man it's amazing. Costly, but well worth a great night's sleep if you plan to car camp. I've done a few trips, and will be using it on a cross country trip in a few months.

Expensive but well worth the investment if you plan on doing a few car camping trips.
What do you do about how much space the DreamCase takes up, especially when you need to stow cross-country supplies on board?

What do you do about how much space the DreamCase takes up, especially when you need to stow cross-country supplies on board?
Also a fellow Dreamcase owner but in a smaller Model 3 Perf. Love it!!! For longer trips I use a Thule roof box. For weekend trips I have no issue with storing my Dometic Cooler, suitcase/bags, etc and move them to the front seats when I want to sleep. I also bought a "hatch tent" that I can use for longer stays which turns the rear hatch (open) into a big tent with the dreamcase as a bed and the tent as a "home". I then bought a RinseKit for warm showers on the go.

I, too, tried 3 different DIY options for camping mattresses before I caved and got a Dreamcase. It is so much better than anything that I tried... Think of the cost in terms of how much you'd spend on hotel rooms, and it's much easier to swallow.

Reactions: Tezzie

I pack it up in the mornings, and let is occupy 1/2 of my trunk. We try to pack personal possession in small duffle bags and use the frunk and the foot area in the back row seating area for storage while driving and while sleeping. I have not run into issue with packing personal possession to date along Dreamcast.

I guess we pack light 😀

I have an S and I've used a $30 Coleman twin size air mattress for 4 years now and it works flawlessly in the back of my car.
Maybe you are just finding a problem that doesn't exist 🤷‍♂️🤯

And I don't want to hear *sugar* about how you have a bad back, neck, or other joints and you need to sleep on a cloud or some other type of BS.
Because all my joints are trash from being overworked and jumping out of planes my whole life, and I sleep great on that cheap air mattress in the back of my car.
Two people on an air mattress in a confined space in a Model S. Asking for disaster, plus... my back and joints 😉

Dreamcase is like a Temperpedic and you sleep very well.

Two people on an air mattress in a confined space in a Model S. Asking for disaster, plus... my back and joints 😉

Dreamcase is like a Temperpedic and you sleep very well.
2 people on a twin mattress is a bad idea period. the dreamcase is an overpriced chunk of nonsense that takes up half your storage space when not in use. When my air mattress is stowed for storage it only takes up about 1/4 of the under trunk storage area. that dreamcase thing is massive you'd be better off just pitching a tent or getting an RV if you want that type of crap.
Glamping is a waste of the outdoors. I only use my air mattress when i am traveling or if i need to sleep off getting hammered at the bar. Car camping is lame

Anyone got photos of that twin size milliard in the refresh Model S - how good a fit it in it and how much trunk space does it take when not in use. Can it fit under the trunk? Cheers
Don’t have a pic right now. Fits pretty much perfect when opened out for sleeping. You’ll find several pics online of it in a model Y and the fit in the S is better as it’s a little wider.

When folded it fits underneath the rear cargo cover, but not a lot of extra room there.

Reactions: NicB72
Can confirm the Millard fits perfectly. I will be glamping on a 4k Western US National Park tour the next ten days. Buy their mattress sheet as well.

Remember to bring a pillow and slide the trunk cover between the folded seats and mattress so that the portion near the driver side is not sagging down. I regret not bringing that along. But I remedied it by facing my head towards the trunk. Testing it in the garage now with my 80lb dog next to me while typing this. Feels really cozy for two.

Saving just one $150 hotel stay pays for all of it.

Can confirm the Millard fits perfectly. I will be glamping on a 4k Western US National Park tour the next ten days. Buy their mattress sheet as well.

Remember to bring a pillow and slide the trunk cover between the folded seats and mattress so that the portion near the driver side is not sagging down. I regret not bringing that along. But I remedied it by facing my head towards the trunk. Testing it in the garage now with my 80lb dog next to me while typing this. Feels really cozy for two.

Saving just one $150 hotel stay pays for all of it.
Which size did you go with? Any modifications to the shape/size to make it fit better? I know that the queen size air mattresses we've used in the past would "taco" up due to the wheel wells. That is until we found a truck bed version that fits between those nicely. I was looking at the Millard as a more comfortable option but was planning to cut notches out of the sides to emulate this basic shape to fit the area better. Of course, then the issue is that I can't return it if we don't like it. We just need something more comfortable for longer trips. The air mattress we have is alright for a night or two but much beyond that it starts to elicit feelings of dread when thinking about the impending night of sleep late in the day.

I have the Millard. 75"L x 38"W x 4"T. Fits fine in the 2021 MSP. Comfy;)

Millard.jpg