Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can a 60D be uncorked?

Can a car ordered as a 60D be uncorked?

• Yes I upgraded by '16 S to 75D and it was eligible

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • Yes I upgraded by '16 X to 75D and it was eligible

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Yes 2016 S/X without upgrading

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Yes 2017 S/X without upgrading

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They told me no

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That means their list of eligible VINs includes your supposedly 60D, while almost all other real 60Ds are declined. The reason I was given was the cars are built with different hardware. I feel that's just a plain lie.

Let's give it time. I think the bottom line is Tesla wants everyone to upgrade to 75D to get some revenue. In my case, it might be just because the VIN list was generated before I upgraded -- optimism on my part of course.
I tend to agree with this line of reasoning. I was given the “fuse explanation” from Tesla, but that was after the same employee provided incorrect information saying “only a car ordered as a 75D could be uncorked.”

My guess is all D cars with 75kwh battery can be uncorked and they are trying to manage service center traffic by not making all eligible at once. Even if it does require some sort of minor part swap (not convinced), Tesla would be getting $2k from every 60D owner who feels it’s worth it. It would be the nudge I needed to upgrade to 75. Possible quarter/year end revenue move?

I would be mildly surprised if in a couple months 60D owners aren’t able to pay $2k to upgrade to 75 and get uncorked.

I have to assume there's a lot of not totally up to speed employees giving out some of this information. I do not that as of my post there are four current 60D's listed and all four are listed as "uncorkable".

I find it odd that since unlocking the software locked part of the battery won't change any part numbers (or VIN's) that Tesla couldn't tell you beforehand if it was uncorkable or not.

ok so battery part number doesnt seem to matter from the spreadsheet. HMM..And i guess no 60d's are eligible either because it needs the whole battery in use or they dont want to offer it to 60d owners..UNLESS MAYBE they pay the 2k and update to the 75d in which case it would seem they "may" then be eligible? I wonder if 60d's can actually be uncorked but they dont want to offer it?? I mean it seems there are very few 60d around and most have jumped on the 2k update months ago.

Added my info to the spreadsheet.
Tong....did you uodate from 60 to 75 thinking/hoping you would then be eligible for uncorking???Did you ask them BEFORE the update if by doing the update you would be eligible? I only ask because i see you did the update the day before they said not eligible so you dropped 2k thinking upgrading to 75d would be uncorkable? bummer and strag=nge

Tong....did you uodate from 60 to 75 thinking/hoping you would then be eligible for uncorking???Did you ask them BEFORE the update if by doing the update you would be eligible? I only ask because i see you did the update the day before they said not eligible so you dropped 2k thinking upgrading to 75d would be uncorkable? bummer and strag=nge

No, I did not upgrade to get the uncorking. It is something that would be nice. I have a trip to the mountain that's a bit of stretch with the 60D. So I would've upgraded without knowing the uncorking. The car is already too fast for me :)

Reactions: croman
Has my car in today for one year service (9/16 build) and the note from the shop foreman was that I would not be eligible for the uncorking even if I upgrade to 75D because my car is “too old”. I know that’s not true based on the spreadsheet. So no help today.

too old????? there are some guys on here with same month 60>75 that did get uncorking i think? So much for saving $$ initially by getting the 60d vs the 75d. Now they cant even tell you if you do want to unlock the battery if you are eligible?

Just got this email

----

Based on your current car's configuration, if you upgrade to the 75D you should be eligible for the uncorking. You will be eligible as soon as you pay for the 75D upgrade, but your service center won't be notified.

If your service center asks you how you knew that you should be eligible after upgrading, you can show them this and let them know it's because Engineering said that the "PT_BMS_ISENSORPROTOCOLNUMBER" has to be greater than 3, and yours is a 5 in CarLogs.

Thank you for your time and loyalty to the company!